• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2024 Minor League Stats, Scouting, Updates, and Reports Thread

4 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

"Fontenelle's had a good 67 PA in the minors - looks like he's ready for the majors."

~ The Angels Front Office

Tbh, if the Angels keep losing over the next couple weeks and it becomes clear that Rendon is going to miss 2+ months, it actually wouldn't surprise me at all if they called up Fontenelle.

49 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Tbh, if the Angels keep losing over the next couple weeks and it becomes clear that Rendon is going to miss 2+ months, it actually wouldn't surprise me at all if they called up Fontenelle.

Yeah nothing would be surprising about that at all....see Neto, Schanuel, Joyce, Silseth...

3 minutes ago, ScottM said:

is Ben Joyce just toast now? Why is he being consistently shelled in Double-A?

Nothing has changed with him.  He's inconsistent.  Dominant in some appearances, absolutely cannot find the plate in others and then tries to guide the ball in, leading to getting hit hard. 

Somehow, Kyren Paris has gotten worse as the season has gone along.  He's now "hitting" .076/.171/.121.  How is that even possible? Lol.  33 K in 66 AB, too.  Ugly.

Also, at what point do we just concede that Kochanowicz isn't gonna hack it as a starter?  He got bombed again today.  And for a guy who supposedly has great stuff and a very good fastball, he sure doesn't K very many.

1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

Somehow, Kyren Paris has gotten worse as the season has gone along.  He's now "hitting" .076/.171/.121.  How is that even possible? Lol.  33 K in 66 AB, too.  Ugly.

Also, at what point do we just concede that Kochanowicz isn't gonna hack it as a starter?  He got bombed again today.  And for a guy who supposedly has great stuff and a very good fastball, he sure doesn't K very many.

Two very disappointing developments

Are they trying to change Paris’ hitting approach?

2 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

I still think Kochanowicz' stuff will play as an up-and-down reliever, but I understand why they're keeping him stretched out for the time being. Our long-relief/5th SP depth is kinda shot right now so having him in that mix, even if it's way down in the order, makes sense from a depth standpoint. The AA bullpen is loaded too. If I remember correct, when he first moved to AA he had a decent run and he hasn't really had a ton of time at that level yet, so they may as well keep trying him there. 

Something has to be wrong with Paris, either physically or a total mental mess at this point. He may need to go to the development list or get a stint in Arizona for a week when that league opens and reset. 

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Wouldn’t surprise me if his brother ended up having a better career.

I've thought the same thing...to be honest, nothing about Ben Joyce has been that impressive so far. He throws 105, yeah, but there doesn't seem to be much command, it looks pretty flat, and the secondary stuff isn't wowing me much. And I think he's going to be a constant injury threat. 

The little bit of video I've seen of Zach looks like a more run-of-the-mill mid-reliever, not in a bad way, and makes me think he's got a legit shot at the longer and more successful career.

Posted (edited)

If my math is right, Rada is hitting .333 in his last 7 games now, and Fontenelle is slashing a robust .302/.408/.460/.868 in 19 games, with 6 XBH, 8 BB, 19 K and an impressive 11 steals in 12 attempts. I am indeed starting to get on the hype train for him.

Rada is tied for 6th with most hits in the Southern League. And he's 18.

Edited by totdprods

I'd like to see Rada on this train wreck, and soon.  He could be the next Rod Carew, or the next Tony Gwynn, or the first Nelson Rada as far as I'm concerned.  We have too many guys on our Major League roster that should be playing  indy ball, for crying out loud.  

Oh well, three dollar tickets on StubHub coming soon. 

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

If my math is right, Rada is hitting .333 in his last 7 games now, and Fontenelle is slashing a robust .302/.408/.460/.868 in 19 games, with 6 XBH, 8 BB, 19 K and an impressive 11 steals in 12 attempts. I am indeed starting to get on the hype train for him.

Rada is tied for 6th with most hits in the Southern League. And he's 18.

With the state of the organization as a whole I am putting an unfair amount of hope into Rada’s development and I hate it. Dude is 18 years old in Double-A.

1 hour ago, AngelStew43 said:

I'd like to see Rada on this train wreck, and soon.  He could be the next Rod Carew, or the next Tony Gwynn, or the first Nelson Rada as far as I'm concerned.  We have too many guys on our Major League roster that should be playing  indy ball, for crying out loud.  

We've killed many a good prospect (Suarez to name one) by calling them up way too early.

8 hours ago, AngelStew43 said:

I disagree with virtually all of this. We probably have zero guys who should be playing Indy ball. We just have a lot of 24-26th guys on a roster.  Calling up Rada because you are bored watching this collection of players is such an awful idea. If there’s one way to ensure Rada isn’t Carew it’s calling him up at 18.  

They have already been very ambitious with Rada, but I would not be surprised if he (or Dana) appeared in Anaheim before the year was out.

And I’m kind of conflicted on that. On one hand, I agree, they’re rushing the hell out of these guys and it’s dangerous to development. But on the other hand, especially for most of us who have been fans for 20+ years, it’s also reflective of a change that across MLB that is different for us - I think baseball as a whole is going to start moving guys up way faster than us longtime fans are used to. Teams will do this to take advantage of cheapest production years and locking up youngsters to more team-friendly deals (think the Braves) versus mega-deals (like what we became accustomed to since ARod’s first contract), and if that’s the way baseball is moving, these aggressive promotions might not be so far-fetched, and could in fact be somewhat pioneering.

27 minutes ago, totdprods said:

They have already been very ambitious with Rada, but I would not be surprised if he (or Dana) appeared in Anaheim before the year was out.

If Rada was an infielder I could see that happening but I can't see any reason to start his clock with an already full outfield. There is no need to rush his development. 

41 minutes ago, Blarg said:

If Rada was an infielder I could see that happening but I can't see any reason to start his clock with an already full outfield. There is no need to rush his development. 

Well like I said, I don't really agree with it because it does feel rushed and potentially damaging to his development...but I also think there's a chance baseball is trending towards this becoming more of the norm quicker than anticipated, so it wouldn't surprise me. If Rada is past his slow start at AA and gets his average up near .300, and we see someone like Adell or Moniak or Ward go down with an oblique strain in May or something that holds them out for a month...would it be that surprising at that point if Rada got a look? 

I personally don't think it should happen, but I also don't think it's too far from being a potential scenario.