• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Angels and Cody Bellinger

CartiHalos

3 hours ago, Dgar24 said:

Agree with this .

Any money spent on high risk needs to be pitching ! You can get old guys Turner or Martinez for example to produce runs. their track records are stable also way less financial burden if they don’t produce.

I know Snell is risky, so what all ball players are risky. 2 Cy young’s 6 inning pitcher, almost  all are now.  I’ll take him and more bullpen help. 

This is probably Adell’s last chance here.  The K rate doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence.

Edited by Angel Oracle

3 hours ago, Dgar24 said:

Agree with this .

Any money spent on high risk needs to be pitching ! You can get old guys Turner or Martinez for example to produce runs. their track records are stable also way less financial burden if they don’t produce.

I know Snell is risky, so what all ball players are risky. 2 Cy young’s 6 inning pitcher, almost  all are now.  I’ll take him and more bullpen help. 

But was a 5 inning pitcher in the years preceding 2023.

Is it wise to give $200 million to someone with a checkered endurance history?

11 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

But was a 5 inning pitcher in the years preceding 2023.

Is it wise to give $200 million to someone with a checkered endurance history?

The price of winning has gone up. I want the team in the playoffs. I think he’s the right guy I pay the price. And hope he delivers.

Snell is a yes for me. Biggest impact player we could actually get. Yes, his inability to pitch past the fifth is not ideal, but I'd rather have 5 elite innings than 6 mediocre ones.

Bellinger is almost certainly going to be massively overpaid. I don't hate the player, but he was not good at all for two seasons before that and was already showing warning signs in 2020. And as has been noted, there are big questions surrounding the sustainability of his success in 2023. Just feels like much more obvious risk that isn't factored into what he's going to be paid. I'd rather take a flyer on Teoscar, personally. 

Who knows what to expect from Bellinger - his career has been all over the place, as hav his peripherals. When he had that crazy good year in 2019 (.305/.406/.629, 161 wRC+, 7.8 WAR) he has a 14.4 BB% and 16.4 K%. Last year his BB% was literally half that, at 7.2 (but similar K-rate). He's had one MVP season (2019), three very good borderline star ones (2017-18, 2023), one OK (2020), and two duds (2021-22).

Despite the career high BABIP last year and likely regression, I still think he'll be a good player. He might be a guy who fluctuates, but his average performance is that of an above average player to borderline star. So I think you've got to expect around .270/.340/.480 with 3-4 WAR - even though he could be way above or below that. I wouldn't pay $25-30M for that, especially when it is about what we should get from Taylor Ward.

6 hours ago, notherhalo said:

Signing Bellinger would be such an Angels move

Yes it would Definitely be such an Angels move but I hope they don't do it.

Got to break the cycle of getting into these deals that don't age well. 

If the choice this offseason is either a bad deal or no deal I'd rather them do nothing....... 

9 hours ago, Chuck said:

If Bellinger was in the 125-150 million range I would take a shot on him, but there's too much risk to have him resort to his 2020-2022 swing and approach I believe. 

He is a very good defensive player in the outfield and 1B though. 

The Angels have  a cheap 1B capable of an  .800 OPS. 

Hard pass on Bellinger. He will get too much 

Edited by ScottT

Throwing a lot of money at a player based upon one good year doesn't usually work out. There is a significant chance that his 2023 season was an outlier, rather than being indicative of him suddenly figuring it all out.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan