• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Loyalty

T.G.

Trout’s “loyalty” has resulted in the team having an unmoveable contract and paying him the money he was worth in his elite years to sit on the IL for half the season.  He doesn’t really give a shit about winning, I’m sure it would be great but he clearly values things like comfort more

3 minutes ago, mmc said:

Trout’s “loyalty” has resulted in the team having an unmoveable contract and paying him the money he was worth in his elite years to sit on the IL for half the season.  He doesn’t really give a shit about winning, I’m sure it would be great but he clearly values things like comfort more

I disagree with this. Injuries are not under his control. He seems like he wants to be out there but more in Salmon way than an Erstad way.

Edited by Hubs

3 minutes ago, mmc said:

He doesn’t really give a shit about winning, I’m sure it would be great but he clearly values things like comfort more

dude, i couldn't disagree with you more.

if you've ever spent time around a professional athlete, you'll universally find that they all want to win. sure, they want to get paid, but they value winning a lot more than we fans sometimes remember, and that includes everyone from Squid to Trout.

Just now, T.G. said:

That's about the dumbest thing I've ever read in AW.

You can think that just as I can think the emotional tangent about player loyalty is equally dumb.  If winning was a priority or important to Trout, there’s no way he’d be accepting of what has gone on over the course of his tenure and speaking positively about every situation and personnel at every opportunity 

4 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Ohtani got the most money and the best opportunity to win. He would have been an idiot to turn that down. 

fans get caught up in the emotional side of it all. That man, made the best decision he could for himself, his legacy and his future family. You can’t judge him for that. He gave it all he had as an Angel and it didn’t work out. That’s ok.  Hope he wins another mvp and the dodgers get swept in the 1st round. 

I agree, hell halos kicked HOF Pujols out the door. Justin Upton shown the door. Loyalty giving Dodgers deferred payments is loyalty. Angels can hope with the gloves and equipment given to kids in Japan by Ohtani will produce next star that signs with halos.

1 minute ago, Tank said:

dude, i couldn't disagree with you more.

if you've ever spent time around a professional athlete, you'll universally find that they all want to win. sure, they want to get paid, but they value winning a lot more than we fans sometimes remember, and that includes everyone from Squid to Trout.

No doubt Trout wants to win, I just don’t believe it’s that important to him in the grand scheme of his career.  Other things like comfort, stability, and money clearly take precedence to him.  He has every right to live his life/conduct his career that way but there’s absolutely nothing about the guy that screams “this guy badly wants to win”

@T.G., I hear what you are saying and totally get it from a fan perspecitve.  I have positive memories of those players in the same way for the way they spent their careers here.

In Shohei's case, though, I likewise totally get this move and don't fault him for it either.  Shohei can achieve something that very few ever can - he could, quite possibly, be the greatest player to have ever played this sport.  To do this, though, he needed to go to a team that both maximizes his chances at winning championships AND maximizes his own abilities, to achieve amazing statistical accomplishments for many years.

Sadly, Ohtani's chances of achieving the above, and being remembered as the greatest player to have ever played this sport, are probably less with us than it would have been with the Dodgers or teams in their tier.

3 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

@T.G., I hear what you are saying and totally get it from a fan perspecitve.  I have positive memories of those players in the same way for the way they spent their careers here.

In Shohei's case, though, I likewise totally get this move and don't fault him for it either.  Shohei can achieve something that very few ever can - he could, quite possibly, be the greatest player to have ever played this sport.  To do this, though, he needed to go to a team that both maximizes his chances at winning championships AND maximizes his own abilities, to achieve amazing statistical accomplishments for many years.

Sadly, Ohtani's chances of achieving the above, and being remembered as the greatest player to have ever played this sport, are probably less with us than it would have been with the Dodgers or teams in their tier.

At no point have I faulted Ohtani for leaving. That was never my point.

12 minutes ago, mmc said:

Fuck off with the “he doesn’t give a shit about winning”. It’s a really dumb fucking thing to say. 

1 minute ago, REDneck said:

Loyalty is earned like respect. IMO Arte did nothing to earn Ohtani's loyalty and it appears SO is of the same mindset.

The team went to a 6 man rotation to accommodate SO...BFD!

Yep, it’s a two way street…. If you want to get upset about a lack of “loyalty” from Ohtani, you should be equally upset that Arte refused to adequately support Ohtani during his tenure here by spending as much as he could and surpassing the tax

26 minutes ago, mmc said:

Yep, it’s a two way street…. If you want to get upset about a lack of “loyalty” from Ohtani, you should be equally upset that Arte refused to adequately support Ohtani during his tenure here by spending as much as he could and surpassing the tax

I don’t think there’s been a lack of effort to put a winning team on the field. It just hasn’t worked out yet