• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Loyalty

T.G.

2 hours ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

Not at all. Just that most teams would not have done the same thing - one reason that the Angels landed Ohtani in the first place.

You don't think that there were 15 or 20 franchises out there that would of accommodated SO and the 6 man rotation if he would have initially signed with that team?

8 minutes ago, REDneck said:

You don't think that there were 15 or 20 franchises out there that would of accommodated SO and the 6 man rotation if he would have initially signed with that team?

No. Almost nobody has that kind of pitching depth. At the time, it was also an unknown how he would adjust to being in MLB as opposed to Japan. I doubt that anyone was totally confident that he could do both at a high level in MLB, and they weren't willing to upend their organizations to find out.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

On 12/11/2023 at 6:48 PM, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

At the time of him signing, wasn't it rumored that the Angels' were one of the only organizations that would accommodate Ohtani and his workload, 6 man rotation, etc. ?

I believe so, but I also think he wanted to play with at the time the best player in baseball. Mike Trout. 

On 12/10/2023 at 4:59 PM, Angels 1961 said:

Trout has been loyal and so was Pujols. Angels kicked HOF Pujols to the curb. I wonder what Trout and Ohtani were thinking about when that happened.

oh, I don't know. Maybe something along the lines of, "Maybe Albert should have produced as per his pay grade and the expectations that said pay grade requires." Fact is, the Angels were patient and gave him plenty of leeway. I wonder if George Steinbrenner would've been so patient? Kicked him to the curb? I want to find that curb. What, they didn't pay him the money he signed for? That was one expensive curb.

Regarding loyalty, I read somewhere else either today or yesterday, and it stuck, basically "tell that to Vlad and Torii". And it's a solid point.

Lackey was demonized when he left for Boston, but knowing first hand how the negotiations went might make it seem different to some people. 

Basically, if this team or any other is going to love on when they think someone is done and not worth it, it's fair for the players to see it the same way. 

I mentioned on here a few months ago some things I was told by players back in the day about the org Penny pinching on so many things, whenever that story earlier this year about CJ Wilson calling the Angels out broke. And then you look at it from a guy like Ohtani's perspective...

I'm sure Ohtani was happy here, and would have liked to stay. And I'm sure he would have done the same deal for the Angels. But it was all based on "do I truly expect this org to get it together any time soon?"