• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

Yeah there's just no way those guys get that much. 

Ohtani getting over 500 million over 12 years? lol

Yamamoto 225 million? + the posting fee. WTF

MLB Trade Rumors guys smoking something. 

They're generally at least in the ballpark (at least to the best of my recollection), but they just seem batshit crazy on a number of these this year.  Like I said, maybe we're just out of touch with the new reality, but I just can't imagine most of these deals being good for the teams if this is where we are money-wise.

19 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

I posted this link in the Ohtani thread, but thought I'd bring it here since there are 49 other players on the list.  Maybe I'm just out of touch these days, but some of these contract predictions seem absolutely insane. 12 years, $264M for Bellinger?  6 years, $110M for Hader?  Even Urshela at 2 years, $20M?  If these projections are anywhere near reality, I have a hard time seeing the Angels being very competitive in the free agency market.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/11/2023-24-top-50-free-agents-with-predictions.html

Angels predictions by them were (for those who don't want to click on the link)

-Shota Imanaga (LHP from Japan)

-Teoscar Hernandez (OF from Seattle)

-J.D Martinez (DH from the Dodgers)

-Rhys Hoskins (3B from Philly)

-Mike Clevinger (RHP from the White Sox)

- Aroldis Chapman (LHP from Texas)

I can see us being in on pitching for sure. Not sure about the position players.

3 minutes ago, EdmontonAngelsFan said:

I can see us being in on pitching for sure. Not sure about the position players.

I'm with you on the position players.  All three of those guys are probably best suited for DH, as they're all mediocre to poor defensively. Seems like a ton of overlap.  I'm all for depth (Angels have surely needed it the past few years due to injuries and poor performances), but that's probably at least $50M/year to sign those three guys. 

17 minutes ago, EdmontonAngelsFan said:

Please do not sign Teoscar Hernandez another Vernon Wells.

• Chuck pinned this topic
26 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Bright side is Perry works quickly.

I read/heard (can’t remember) him reiterating this week that they like to be aggressive.

So despite Ohtani hanging over everything, I expect them to move quickly in some aspects.

Heyman just reported they’ve shown interest in Candelario.

Not a SP, but maybe that’s Perry’s quick move. There were rumors of them being interested in Candelario back at the deadline.

30 minutes ago, BTH said:

I read/heard (can’t remember) him reiterating this week that they like to be aggressive.

So despite Ohtani hanging over everything, I expect them to move quickly in some aspects.

Heyman just reported they’ve shown interest in Candelario.

Not a SP, but maybe that’s Perry’s quick move. There were rumors of them being interested in Candelario back at the deadline.

I would not mind adding Candelario. It gives them the flexibility of shopping Rengifo or Drury in a market thin on bats, and the fact that Perry has been this interested for this sustained amount of time leads me to believe they’re real confident in Jeimer.

Would not be surprised if they signed someone pretty quick out of the gate to both assert to Shohei they’re still working to win, with or without him. 

I think I saw Morosi mention the Angels were looking at non-Chapman 3B too, which is a pretty thin field after him and Jeimer so that’s probably who he is referencing. Grabbing Candelario also forces a few teams who need hitting and pitching to increasingly up their focus and money on the few remaining bats then.

Edited by totdprods

15 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

Giants and White Sox looking at SS market.  Rengifo or Soto for a controllable young arm? 

Rengifo for Mason Black?  SF #9 prospect, near ML ready.  Good K numbers in AAA this season. 

Unrelated but looking through some stats, thought it was kinda impressive Drury only made 2 errors in 1000 innings this year, and only played 1B and 2B. Seeing that leads me to think he likely isn’t in the 3B equation next year, and Rengifo didn’t see much time there either. Only 23 games, 140 innings. 

Since Rendon is a total mystery and the Angels other options didn’t really see any 3B time, not surprising at all that they’d be looking at Candelario now that I look closer.

Also curious what the plan is for Thaiss. With Stassi back, catcher is locked up and Thaiss is out of options. Will he see some time at 1B/3B? Shopped? He would definitely have some trade value I would think. I could see Tampa having interest with Bethancourt gone and their multi-position affinity. 

3 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

As far as the White Sox, Soto for Jonathan Cannon, White Sox # 11, more of a project, but good size at 6'6".  

I know they won't send us back Ky Bush. 

Bush looked bad enough after the deal I’m not sure it matters. Soto is depth at best, he isn’t going to net a substantial prospect.

10 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Unrelated but looking through some stats, thought it was kinda impressive Drury only made 2 errors in 1000 innings this year, and only played 1B and 2B. Seeing that leads me to think he likely isn’t in the 3B equation next

Drury was great at 2B last year, by the eye test and metrics.

11 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Also curious what the plan is for Thaiss. With Stassi back, catcher is locked up and Thaiss is out of options. Will he see some time at 1B/3B? Shopped? He would definitely have some trade value I would think. I could see Tampa having interest with Bethancourt gone and their multi-position affinity. 

My guess is they just hold onto him and see how everything plays out in Spring.

See how he looks, see how Stassi looks, and what options are out there.

Christian Yelich would look nice in the outfield and leading off, IMO.

Unlikely Milwaukee would deal him *and* the Halos would match - but the situation feels reminiscent of when we got Upton.

Baseball Savant loved his rebound last year. Money is significant but not atrocious. There’s risk. But he did struggle before this last year and Milwaukee could use some freed up money.

Edited by totdprods