• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

I'm very curious to see the Braves' moves over the winter. With all the trades and non-tenders over the past few days, they now only have 30 guys on their 40-man roster. Some of their moves have been head-scratchers (like claiming Penn Murfee on Tuesday and then non-tendering him Friday, even though he would have only made the minimum or just above), but they tend to know what they're doing. So what next? 

It’s incredibly strange because I don’t see them adding 7 or 8 free agents nor do I see them turning around and trading one of their young stars for a haul of guys. 

2 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

I'm very curious to see the Braves' moves over the winter. With all the trades and non-tenders over the past few days, they now only have 30 guys on their 40-man roster. Some of their moves have been head-scratchers (like claiming Penn Murfee on Tuesday and then non-tendering him Friday, even though he would have only made the minimum or just above), but they tend to know what they're doing. So what next? 

How many on halo 40 man?

9 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Isn't this the same guy that said the Angels were signing Gary Sanchez?

If you ever wanted proof of how the internet has dumbed the world down, there it is. Ohtani, sure, they’ll be in the mix. Trout? Yep, they’ll give up top prospects for a guy owed $200 who hasn’t been healthy in years.

11 hours ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

It still blows my mind that the “braves farm is incredible” or xyz is incredible but then 3 years later they non tender them. I have no personal understanding of these ranking systems work but there has to be some kind of bust factor built in? If that’s the case do any of these rankings even matter? Angels system has produced so many mlbers including players who were not even ranked who are now thriving elsewhere, but are consistently picked to be near the worst farms in baseball. 

Ranking systems were always a little weird, they tended to favor toolsy guys and projection, they were flawed but you could see what they were getting hyped about.  These days I really struggle to follow along with their logic.  You'd think with the internet being what it is and the amount of information available rankings would have become more precise -- if anything it seems people have become lazy, read each other's thoughts and regurgitate the same opinions.

I always cautioned people to ignore rankings even when they were favorable for the Angels.  These days I barely even look at them.

The Braves system's strength was the same Stoney's when he was GM -- it had incredible layers of depth.  Projectable talent at every level, in every area.  Smart teams treat every draft and every international signing period as if they don't have a single prospect in the system and simply try to flush it with more and more talent.

6 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

You'd think with the internet being what it is and the amount of information available rankings would have become more precise -- if anything it seems people have become lazy, read each other's thoughts and regurgitate the same opinions.

i was just about to say the same thing.

3 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

I'm very curious to see the Braves' moves over the winter. With all the trades and non-tenders over the past few days, they now only have 30 guys on their 40-man roster. 

The Mets too… they only have 28 guys on their 40-man.

3 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

(like claiming Penn Murfee on Tuesday and then non-tendering him Friday, even though he would have only made the minimum or just above),

The reason they did that was because Murfee is out for next season with TJ and they are trying to sign him to minor league deal.

When you non-tender someone, they automatically become a free agent and don’t have to pass through waivers.

So they don’t have to worry about someone else claiming him and can try to re-sign him to a minor league deal.

3 minutes ago, BTH said:

The Mets too… they only have 28 guys on their 40-man.

The reason they did that was because Murfee is out for next season with TJ and they are trying to sign him to minor league deal.

When you non-tender someone, they automatically become a free agent and don’t have to pass through waivers.

So they don’t have to worry about someone else claiming him and can try to re-sign him to a minor league deal.

I'm aware of Murfee's injury. I still think it's an odd move. 

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

Isn't this the same guy that said the Angels were signing Gary Sanchez?

Why would Trout want to go anywhere? He has it made in Anaheim. Only has to play half a season and pulls down $35 million. A lot shorter commute than driving up to L.A. to play.

19 hours ago, mmc said:

I should have commented on the Royal end of this deal too.  Kowar was part of the Royals 2018 draft that saw them picking four times in the first round.  A lot of the talk after the draft was how the Royals ran the table by taking four college arms, people were saying they likely had set themselves up for success. To date only Brady Singer has shown any signs of life.  Kowar is looking like a bust, Daniel Lynch is looking more and more like  RP, Bubic had a nice run of 3 games last year but has otherwise been a disappointment.  

Draft more pitchers.