• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

2 hours ago, AngelStew43 said:

Even though Mike Trout has a full no-trade clause, can someone who has ESPN insider paraphrase the contents of the article suggesting a Trout trade to the Phillies?  

It would be nice to go over what the east coast writers think would be fair value for Trout.

Their proposal: Nick Castellanos, Justin Crawford, pitching prospect Griff McGarry and $5 million in cash each year from 2024-2026

Ended the article saying:

Again ... all of this is unlikely. Arte Moreno probably doesn't want to go down as the owner who lost both Ohtani and Trout, but the Angels also haven't finished with a winning record since 2015. And Middleton doesn't want to see his Phillies break down in late October for a third straight season.

It's time to make some changes -- for both teams.

23 minutes ago, BTH said:

Their proposal: Nick Castellanos, Justin Crawford, pitching prospect Griff McGarry and $5 million in cash each year from 2024-2026

Ended the article saying:

Again ... all of this is unlikely. Arte Moreno probably doesn't want to go down as the owner who lost both Ohtani and Trout, but the Angels also haven't finished with a winning record since 2015. And Middleton doesn't want to see his Phillies break down in late October for a third straight season.

It's time to make some changes -- for both teams.

I’m confused….who pays the 5 million per year? Angels or Phillies? If it’s the Phillies, and the Angels pay the rest, that ain’t happening….

2 hours ago, mmc said:

Wright, Soroka, Luiz Gohara, Kolby Allard, Bryse Wilson, Toukki Toussaint, Joey Wentz.... Tucker Davidson. I may be missing a couple but , these guys were at one time considered one of the greatest collection of pitching prospects assembled and none of them are still with the Braves... Just goes to show the old line about pitching prospects and attrition remains as true as ever.

Keep drafting arms.

26 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Wright, Soroka, Luiz Gohara, Kolby Allard, Bryse Wilson, Toukki Toussaint, Joey Wentz.... Tucker Davidson. I may be missing a couple but , these guys were at one time considered one of the greatest collection of pitching prospects assembled and none of them are still with the Braves... Just goes to show the old line about pitching prospects and attrition remains as true as ever.

Keep drafting arms.

It still blows my mind that the “braves farm is incredible” or xyz is incredible but then 3 years later they non tender them. I have no personal understanding of these ranking systems work but there has to be some kind of bust factor built in? If that’s the case do any of these rankings even matter? Angels system has produced so many mlbers including players who were not even ranked who are now thriving elsewhere, but are consistently picked to be near the worst farms in baseball. 

1 hour ago, DMVol said:

I’m confused….who pays the 5 million per year? Angels or Phillies? If it’s the Phillies, and the Angels pay the rest, that ain’t happening….

the Phillies, according to that article.

I just included the snippets because another poster was interested.

But Trout ain't getting traded and it's an unproductive conversation, IMO.

2 hours ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

It still blows my mind that the “braves farm is incredible” or xyz is incredible but then 3 years later they non tender them. I have no personal understanding of these ranking systems work but there has to be some kind of bust factor built in? If that’s the case do any of these rankings even matter? Angels system has produced so many mlbers including players who were not even ranked who are now thriving elsewhere, but are consistently picked to be near the worst farms in baseball. 

The thing that Anthopolous understands more than most is the timing at which prospects and young players top out. Pitching prospects will frequently make it to the major leagues on stuff alone. But staying there requires health, development and opportunity. Without all three, you've got a bust or a reliever on your hands. Home grown starting pitchers that tension good are few and far between. But with hitters, particularly top prospects, over they make it to the show, it's simply a matter of adjustments which comes down to proper coaching and a hitter that's strong between the ears. 

So when it comes to building a farm, out of 100 prospects, you want 90 pitchers and the "right" 10 hitters. 

I'm very curious to see the Braves' moves over the winter. With all the trades and non-tenders over the past few days, they now only have 30 guys on their 40-man roster. Some of their moves have been head-scratchers (like claiming Penn Murfee on Tuesday and then non-tendering him Friday, even though he would have only made the minimum or just above), but they tend to know what they're doing. So what next? 

1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

I'm very curious to see the Braves' moves over the winter. With all the trades and non-tenders over the past few days, they now only have 30 guys on their 40-man roster. Some of their moves have been head-scratchers (like claiming Penn Murfee on Tuesday and then non-tendering him Friday, even though he would have only made the minimum or just above), but they tend to know what they're doing. So what next? 

I think they will be surprise team in free agency. If nothing else you know they have a plan.