• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

They keep talking about the Dodgers and Blue Jays. 

You notice there hasn't been a single peep from the Angels? They've just been thrown in with the other teams as "being in". Not a hint of anything. This is the team that he spent his entire career with so far. Complete radio silence.

I'm sure the noise around the Dodgers and Blue Jays is legitimate. That's what the media is getting.

But the Angels are still absolutely in it. I don't think money will be an issue. It's ultimately going to come down to whether he values comfort over winning, and he very well might. 

6 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

You notice there hasn't been a single peep from the Angels? They've just been thrown in with the other teams as "being in". Not a hint of anything. This is the team that he spent his entire career with so far. Complete radio silence.

I'm sure the noise around the Dodgers and Blue Jays is legitimate. That's what the media is getting.

But the Angels are still absolutely in it. I don't think money will be an issue. It's ultimately going to come down to whether he values comfort over winning, and he very well might. 

Ohtani said he wanted things kept quiet. Aside from Cocaine Ron's "don't want to let the cat out of the bag" line (which appears to have meant nothing), there's been nothing. In fact, Heyman said last night he thought the Angels were on the periphery and it's the Dodgers or Blue Jays. 

Meanwhile, the Jays had a well publicized meeting with him. And Dave Roberts comes into the Winter Meetings all "You're damn right we met with Ohtani and I don't give a crap if he wanted it quiet!"

Just saying - it feels like one team following the rules and the others are blowing it off, particularly the Dodgers. 

if ohtani signs elsewhere, then purely by default sandoval would be the #1 pitcher on this staff. I don't see him being a #1 guy by any metric, and that'll be problematic for the team.

that's why i'd trade him for burnes is that was the price. burnes has that ability. as part of the trade, i'd work like crazy to also sign him to a long term contract so that he's more than just a one year rental, which is why trading for him is such a big risk. if he wouldn't agree to that, then i'd look elsewhere like bieber (as long as he's signed for beyond '24) or someone of that caliber.

it's also why i'd try to sign bauer this winter. 

1 hour ago, HBAngel13 said:

For some context, Fletcher had 3.1 fWAR in 2019 with 4+ years of control. He probably doesn’t bring back an ace given the type of player he is but I think he could have been a centerpiece in a larger package.

I disagree, but I am not trying to convince you I am right.  We all have opinions.  I just think David Fletcher as a “centerpiece” of a larger deal would have yielded nothing substantial for the reasons I already stated.  But obviously this is just an exchange of opinions.

24 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Let's get one thing straight.... The dude wants to win. If he ends up signing a 10-12yr contract with the Angels then the chances of him having a chance to win are very high. 

Yes, i know Mike Trout as an example.... But at some point then Angels will be good again.

11 minutes ago, Tank said:

if ohtani signs elsewhere, then purely by default sandoval would be the #1 pitcher on this staff. I don't see him being a #1 guy by any metric, and that'll be problematic for the team.

that's why i'd trade him for burnes is that was the price. burnes has that ability. as part of the trade, i'd work like crazy to also sign him to a long term contract so that he's more than just a one year rental, which is why trading for him is such a big risk. if he wouldn't agree to that, then i'd look elsewhere like bieber (as long as he's signed for beyond '24) or someone of that caliber.

it's also why i'd try to sign bauer this winter. 

He's already the #1 pitcher on the staff heading into next year....

The Angels operate in secrecy; I’ll believe we are still in it until Ohtani makes his decision. 

nobody predicted us signing Albert, CJ, Trout extension, and Ohtani. If there is one thing that Moreno is excellent at; it’s keeping a lid on how he’s operating. He’s very much in this fight, his ego will not lose Ohtani to the Dodgers without an excellent sales pitch and effort. Are we the favorites to sign him? Maybe not but this won’t be an easy decision for Ohtani. 

2 minutes ago, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

The Angels operate in secrecy; I’ll believe we are still in it until Ohtani makes his decision. 

nobody predicted us signing Albert, CJ, Trout extension, and Ohtani. If there is one thing that Moreno is excellent at; it’s keeping a lid on how he’s operating. He’s very much in this fight, his ego will not lose Ohtani to the Dodgers without an excellent sales pitch and effort. Are we the favorites to sign him? Maybe not but this won’t be an easy decision for Ohtani. 

I really think it comes down to Dodgers vs Angels. 
Toronto is an interesting thought, but at the end of all this, I think they come in 3rd place. 

Arte will just need to pay up and put a major plan in place to make this team competitive.

4 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Let's get one thing straight.... The dude wants to win. If he ends up signing a 10-12yr contract with the Angels then the chances of him having a chance to win are very high. 

Yes, i know Mike Trout as an example.... But at some point then Angels will be good again.

There are teams that find a way, for the most part, to be competitive every year.  This is different from the team that somewhat cycles in and out of being competitive with the “rebuild” then “go for it” then “rebuild” formula.

What I find interesting is I see lots of evidence that the Angels are trying really hard to be the perpetual contender and not the “rebuild/go for it/rebuild” model.

It’s just they haven’t quite pulled it off yet.  They need a better farm system to do it but they are trying.

The Dodgers have mastered it.  If Ohtani wants to jump on to that program to maximize his chances of winning right now, who could really blame him?  The question is if he believes in the Angel effort and progress on becoming that kind of franchise sooner rather than later.

I think if he signs with the Angels, I will personally view it as a darn good sign that the organization showed him enough of their both commitment to allocate resources and their overall plan/philosophy/strategy for me to be encouraged that there are better days ahead.

If he signs elsewhere, it doesn’t mean the team isn’t trying, it just means they didn’t convince him enough or that he just wants to join the team already there.

As has been said many times in posts on this site Ohtani will not be leaving due to money he will get his check from anyone all he has to do is say his number. Honestly I would bet it comes down to small stuff people dont even look at things like weather, Taxes, Location, willing to let me do what I want when I want, do I like the guys on the team or not, Traffic. ect ect the little things are what he is thinking about im sure money isnt even on his mind maybe Nez but not Sho sooner or later he will say to Nez I want to be there get it done and it will be done.

2 minutes ago, Chitown27Fan said:

As has been said many times in posts on this site Ohtani will not be leaving due to money he will get his check from anyone all he has to do is say his number. Honestly I would bet it comes down to small stuff people dont even look at things like weather, Taxes, Location, willing to let me do what I want when I want, do I like the guys on the team or not, Traffic. ect ect the little things are what he is thinking about im sure money isnt even on his mind maybe Nez but not Sho sooner or later he will say to Nez I want to be there get it done and it will be done.

He is going to play where he wants to be, and he will negotiate the most he can get from that team.

And let’s be realistic.  He has made up his mind already.  He is just in the final stages of trying to get the best number from that already chosen team, as if he is still deciding between a few.

What I've seen so far from Perry is just some roster filling in BP. Nothing major and it still might come but on offensive side of FA not much there. Maybe Bellinger but he will cost a ton. TOR could make a splash or maybe a trade. Perry said Angels will compete and he will be aggressive and only time will tell.

1 minute ago, Angels 1961 said:

What I've seen so far from Perry is just some roster filling in BP. Nothing major and it still might come but on offensive side of FA not much there. Maybe Bellinger but he will cost a ton. TOR could make a splash or maybe a trade. Perry said Angels will compete and he will be aggressive and only time will tell.

The Angels aren't going to make any significant additions on the offensive side until the Ohtani situation is resolved.

1 hour ago, angelsnationtalk said:

I really think it comes down to Dodgers vs Angels. 
Toronto is an interesting thought, but at the end of all this, I think they come in 3rd place. 

Arte will just need to pay up and put a major plan in place to make this team competitive.

I'd be shocked if he goes to Toronto. Just seems like a strange fit for a guy who doesn't like too much attention. And with the Dodgers making little effort to hide their meeting or pursuit of him, it feels like the Angels still have a great chance unless he really has winning as his number one priority and feels the chances of that here are too low. 

this is one of those times when it must really suck to be pittsburgh. imagine how much fun it'd be to watch ohtani hit in that beautiful park, but knowing there isn't nearly enough talent there for him to have any chance for a winning year.

wait, that sounds oddly familiar.

1 minute ago, Dtwncbad said:

What do you guys think the chances are of there being an opt out clause in the Ohtani deal?

I say 100% if he signs with the Angels and at least 50% if he signs with the Dodgers (or another “win now” location).

I think it would be pretty stupid of any team signing him to a long-term deal to give him an opt out--though someone may do it if that's what it takes to seal the deal.  Using the Angels as an example, even if they sign him, they'd likely still need to make upgrades at other positions (starting pitcher, etc.) to truly feel confident about "winning now"--and those deals would likely be multi-year deals.  If I'm the Angels, I don't want to be giving Ohtani an opt out after two or three years if I'm also planning on signing other guys to long-term deals to support the "win now" approach.  Worst case scenario would be Othani bailing after a couple years and leaving the Angels with some albatross deals (though the Rendon deal would thankfully be over soon at that point).