• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Phil Nevin out as Angels manager, Minasian to remain GM

mmc

1 hour ago, cjcinec said:

Nevin has been stealing a paycheck for a long time. I hope he’s hurting just like I was every time I had to watch Barria pitch. Maybe they are curled up on a couch somewhere spooning. Neither one of those clowns belong in baseball at any level. As for Minasian he should have been let go as well. He went all in with a pair of deuces at the trading deadline with Nevin as his manager. That’s the definition of insanity.

That is awfully bitter. Show us on the doll where Nevin touched you. 

Personally I really don't think Nevin could have done any better considering the circumstance of so many players being out on the IL.  Does anyone else think that there possibly needs to be a change in training regimens?  So MANY injuries! Just doesn't seem normal.  Feel like there's something missing from their physical training routines. Or possibly something is out of balance. Perhaps they should be looking at new trainers, not a new manager.  Just a thought.

8 hours ago, Blarg said:

You can't train to prevent a baseball shattering your face. Or train your hand not to break when a fastball hits it. Nor even fouling one off the shin or breaking a pelvis on a stumble. Some things are not anything a trainer can do for a player. 

10 months on the job. There wasn't a single month where I felt this team played above it's talent level. A .550 winning pct. gets you to 89 wins. That's either going to get you into the post season, or keep you in it until the final weekend. The Angels didn't even have a single month where they played .550 baseball under Nevin. However, they had 3 of the worst months in franchise history under him.

Month by month with Nevin as manager:

10-12

6-18 (I think most people forget how bad they were in July last year because of the 14 game losing streak earlier)

14-15

16-15

15-14

15-13

14-13

12-11

8-19

9-19

• 2 weeks later...

I take no pleasure is presenting this information that paints a very dismal picture of the person Arte hired as GM. Who, sadly, as this information bears out, has been a glaring misstep & one that any competent owner would not allow to be part of the way forward...

https://calltothepen.com/posts/assessing-2023-mlb-front-offices-perry-minasian-los-angeles-angels

3 hours ago, khouse said:

I take no pleasure is presenting this information that paints a very dismal picture of the person Arte hired as GM. Who, sadly, as this information bears out, has been a glaring misstep & one that any competent owner would not allow to be part of the way forward...

https://calltothepen.com/posts/assessing-2023-mlb-front-offices-perry-minasian-los-angeles-angels

And in the same article, by the same metric, Minasian's regime is tied 22nd along with Friedman and Gomes of the much lauded Dodgers. Interesting, don't you think?

On 10/13/2023 at 4:48 PM, WicketMaiden said:

And in the same article, by the same metric, Minasian's regime is tied 22nd along with Friedman and Gomes of the much lauded Dodgers. Interesting, don't you think?

Perception v. reality where winning can/does validate one & obscure the other...

If there is a metric that has the Angels and Dodgers as equal the last two years, then that metric should be taken with a giant grain of salt.  It shouldn’t be used as a reason to say that Minasian is awful, nor should it be used to say well he isn’t awful if he is tied with Friedman.  The metric should be ignored.  

On 10/13/2023 at 11:47 AM, khouse said:

There is a reason we use WAR and not WAA.

2 minutes ago, khouse said:

Oh..OK, so...I would appreciate it if you would please share what that metric says about the job Perry has done over the last 3 years. Thanks!

Feel free to find an article.

Adding players who produce below a 2.5 war pace does not mean making the team worse.

This is not a statement for or against Perry, I'm simply saying the article is trash.

4 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Feel free to find an article.

Adding players who produce below a 2.5 war pace does not mean making the team worse.

This is not a statement for or against Perry, I'm simply saying the article is trash.

Lol...I already did find/post one & am just trying to find out what (as you asserted) the reason was why 1 was used over the other? As, from the article...is the statement that "WAA is a zero-based version of WAR" invalid/incorrect then or what? Thanks!

At least you didn’t post a halo hangout article I guess 

Where does one find replacement-level GMs?  Is there a waiver wire for GMs?

Actually, this gives me another idea.  We should have a Rule 5 Draft for GMs and Managers.

GMs and Managers need to win a playoff series within 5 years or else they become Rule 5 Draft eligible. 

And that's how we get Bud Black back!

3 hours ago, khouse said:

Lol...I already did find/post one & am just trying to find out what (as you asserted) the reason was why 1 was used over the other? As, from the article...is the statement that "WAA is a zero-based version of WAR" invalid/incorrect then or what? Thanks!

I think they used it because it took minimal effort to calculate, and thought it was more insightful than it really is.

Using WAA is measuring moves as they would relate to a .500 team, so  you would need to adjust the metrics to account for the teams actual record, or more accurately, actual WAR. 

Basically, it is very easy to add wins to a bad team, and tough to add them to a good team (see Dodgers). Using WAA, or even simply WAR, erases all context from the situation they are trying to measure. 

18 hours ago, Lazorko Saves said:

Where does one find replacement-level GMs?  Is there a waiver wire for GMs?

Actually, this gives me another idea.  We should have a Rule 5 Draft for GMs and Managers.

GMs and Managers need to win a playoff series within 5 years or else they become Rule 5 Draft eligible. 

And that's how we get Bud Black back!

So everyone of the Halos’ GM and manager?

Funny, but Minasian is tied with Andrew Friedman at 22nd place.  Easy to look in hindsight, but I remember the board was pretty satisfied with the offseason moves.  

I have to tell you that when I first read your post I thought Minasian was a serial sexual harasser or liked to kick dogs.  

11 minutes ago, bruin5 said:

Funny, but Minasian is tied with Andrew Friedman at 22nd place.  Easy to look in hindsight, but I remember the board was pretty satisfied with the offseason moves.  

I have to tell you that when I first read your post I thought Minasian was a serial sexual harasser or liked to kick dogs.  

I thought off season moves were good. I also thought trying to win before deadline was good. It just turned out so bad after and as we look back a missed opportunity going forward. 

4 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Sounds like more Arte dysfunction ….we’ll see…

It’d be dysfunction in the sense that he’s hiring someone above a lame duck GM and stripping the GM of their power.

But, depending on who he hires, hiring a POBO would represent a departure from how he’s normally operated— which could be good.

9 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Sounds like more Arte dysfunction ….we’ll see…

Why?  There’s virtually no chance the POBO wouldn’t be a baseball person. So why would it be dysfunctional to have another baseball guy in the front office?  Would it be dysfunction if Perry was promoted and a GM was hired?  It’s the same thing.