• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rendon has fractured tibia

mmc

14 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

Cal Ripken must have been the luckiest guy ever to play all those consecutive games without fouling a ball off his shin or anything else. I should ask him for some lottery numbers.

Yeah, Ripken and Ryan are the standards. The other 23,000+ who've played are all pussies and slackasses

9 hours ago, arch stanton said:

Yeah, Ripken and Ryan are the standards. The other 23,000+ who've played are all pussies and slackasses

Bobo Newsom enters the chat. 

On July 17, Newsom had a streak of seven consecutive complete games ended when he had to leave a game against the Boston Red Sox after four innings because a throw from Rudy York to Newsom covering first base hit Newsom in his right (pitching) thumb and broke two bones.

Doctors initially estimated that Newsom would be lost for four weeks. Upon closer examination the next day, doctors reduced this to two to three weeks. But Newsom disagreed, suggesting that he could return in 10 days, saying, “When Bo-Bo wants a fracture to heal, it’s going to heal in a hurry and no doctor is going to say how long it has to take. Bo-Bo wants to get back in there and pitch the Tigers to the pennant.”

His first game back was in ten days and he pitched 10 innings. He did pitch the Tigers to the pennant and World Series. Previously in his career he pitched on a broken knee, taking a liner off it in the 3rd inning but still finished the game. 

Then he limped into the clubhouse, saying to the trainer, "Mike. Ol' Bobo thinks his leg is broke." Bobo thought right; his leg was in a cast for five weeks. 

The next season, the Yanks' Ben Chapman put down a bunt against Newsom in the third inning of the Presidential opener. Senator Third Baseman Ossie Bluege swooped in and made a hasty throw that hit Newsom—who had been giving the play something less than his full attention—in the face. Newsom staggered from the mound in pain but refused to leave the game. "Whenever President Roosevelt comes to see Ol' Bobo pitch," he said, "Ol' Bobo ain't going to disappoint him." He didn't, winning 1-0. Afterward it was discovered that Newsom's jaw had been broken. 

In 1940 his father came to see him pitch in the World Series. Bobo pitched a complete game win and then found his father had passed away in the hotel the next morning. He went on to beat the Reds in his next start with a three hit complete game shutout while his father was being buried in South Carolina. He was called on to pitch game 7 on one days rest, two days after his father's burial. He ended up losing that game 2-1. 

Bobo was Ricky before Ricky, always talking in the third person. He was also a mule headed man that pissed off every owner, GM and coach he played for. But he was no pussy or slacker.

19 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Bobo Newsom enters the chat. 

On July 17, Newsom had a streak of seven consecutive complete games ended when he had to leave a game against the Boston Red Sox after four innings because a throw from Rudy York to Newsom covering first base hit Newsom in his right (pitching) thumb and broke two bones.

Doctors initially estimated that Newsom would be lost for four weeks. Upon closer examination the next day, doctors reduced this to two to three weeks. But Newsom disagreed, suggesting that he could return in 10 days, saying, “When Bo-Bo wants a fracture to heal, it’s going to heal in a hurry and no doctor is going to say how long it has to take. Bo-Bo wants to get back in there and pitch the Tigers to the pennant.”

His first game back was in ten days and he pitched 10 innings. He did pitch the Tigers to the pennant and World Series. Previously in his career he pitched on a broken knee, taking a liner off it in the 3rd inning but still finished the game. 

Then he limped into the clubhouse, saying to the trainer, "Mike. Ol' Bobo thinks his leg is broke." Bobo thought right; his leg was in a cast for five weeks. 

The next season, the Yanks' Ben Chapman put down a bunt against Newsom in the third inning of the Presidential opener. Senator Third Baseman Ossie Bluege swooped in and made a hasty throw that hit Newsom—who had been giving the play something less than his full attention—in the face. Newsom staggered from the mound in pain but refused to leave the game. "Whenever President Roosevelt comes to see Ol' Bobo pitch," he said, "Ol' Bobo ain't going to disappoint him." He didn't, winning 1-0. Afterward it was discovered that Newsom's jaw had been broken. 

In 1940 his father came to see him pitch in the World Series. Bobo pitched a complete game win and then found his father had passed away in the hotel the next morning. He went on to beat the Reds in his next start with a three hit complete game shutout while his father was being buried in South Carolina. He was called on to pitch game 7 on one days rest, two days after his father's burial. He ended up losing that game 2-1. 

Bobo was Ricky before Ricky, always talking in the third person. He was also a mule headed man that pissed off every owner, GM and coach he played for. But he was no pussy or slacker.

Newsom also played for 9 teams during an era in which there were only 18 total teams and free agency didn't exist.  He also appeared in the majors in a time span from 1929 to 1953, and won 350 games combined in the majors and minors.  Interesting dude, to say the least.

9 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Bo Bo the witchdoctor can heal broken bones, but Rendon is out here watching the View in his satin robe getting his nails done.

What a time to be alive.

How do you know he wears satin?

I love those old times stories and anecdotes. It really helps maintain perspective. In the off season I read lots of history and biography books about the sport. Both original source and modern additions. It also keeps a sense of continuity, even though sports and society have changed so much. 

I'll mention some of these books more in the off season. I have a signed copy of Joe Morgan's autobiography on my upcoming  reading list. Found cheap at a thrift store.  I recently read a poignant history of the Expos. And an interesting book about the Montreal Royals. The Dodgers triple A team where Jackie Robinson and many others played before making the majors. Tommy Lasorda was their star pitcher in the fifties, but didn't do much beyond that. 

IMG_20230918_105027_377.jpg

19 minutes ago, Duren, Duren said:

I love those old times stories and anecdotes. It really helps maintain perspective. In the off season I read lots of history and biography books about the sport. Both original source and modern additions. It also keeps a sense of continuity, even though sports and society have changed so much. 

I'll mention some of these books more in the off season. I have a signed copy of Joe Morgan's autobiography on my upcoming  reading list. Found cheap at a thrift store.  I recently read a poignant history of the Expos. And an interesting book about the Montreal Royals. The Dodgers triple A team where Jackie Robinson and many others played before making the majors. Tommy Lasorda was their star pitcher in the fifties, but didn't do much beyond that. 

IMG_20230918_105027_377.jpg

A really great book you might consider is "The Soul of Baseball" - A Road Trip Through Buck O'Neil's America.  Written by Joe Posnanski about Buck O'Neil, an American professional baseball player in the Negro leagues during the 1940s and 1950s.   It's such an uplifting book and a great story.

On 9/17/2023 at 9:48 AM, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Honestly sounds like stuffs getting overblown with Rendon. Fours doctors diagnosed it the same as what the angels diagnosed it, and one diagnosed it differently. But, at the end of the day it's the same treatment.  

And I fully expect Rendon to come back next year too much money on the table. 

I can see them giving him until either the end of 2024 season or mid-2025, and then cutting loose if this same BS is going on.

Edited by Angel Oracle

On 9/17/2023 at 9:19 AM, fan_since79 said:

Cal Ripken must have been the luckiest guy ever to play all those consecutive games without fouling a ball off his shin or anything else. I should ask him for some lottery numbers.

5 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

Gehrig also. He had multiple injuries during his streak, including fractures, yet kept on playing. Some games (not many) he came out of early but he took the field regardless.

I am going to assume that the teams and their doctors have more to do with this than the players themselves. It's a different sport now in the fact that the investments (massive contracts) the teams are putting into individual players may be a driving force. They need to protect those players long term. Some players may be wussies too. Just speculating. 

1 hour ago, fan_since79 said:

After his structured settlement from his lawsuit for the team being mean to him, he'll collect a couple million a year and live to be 99. A nice life that foul ball will provide.

dude, as someone who also feels fleeced by rendon, i say this respectfully . . . let it go. i get how frustrated you are about him and his boatload of crap he's dropped on the halos, but whether you agree or not about the severity of his current injury (and you clearly don't agree), it was more severe than any of us would expect. yes, he sucks, and he's set a new standard for a crappy FA investment, but your constant doubting about how serious he was hurt needs to be resolved. 

let it go, brother.