• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How the Rangers fell apart

Swordsman78

13 hours ago, Swordsman78 said:

Except you, since you have posted here 3 times in less than 11 hours, and most likely clicked on the thread many more times to get info.

Yeah, let's see how many more times we can get @jsnpritchett (aka Overly Attached S--tposter) to post in this thread that he hates.

We're all focused on out own shitshow, which we should be. But the Rangers collapse is pretty crazy.

And the Mets / Padres still baffle me.

At least when you look at the Angels you see major injuries, not garden variety ones. No idea how these other teams struggled so much with the talent they have.

Padres offense is hard to explain.

Comparing Bochy to Nevin is a little silly.

It would only make sense to compare Bochy to the greatest manager the Angels have ever had, Mike Scioscia.

Bochy won four times as many pennants and three times as many World Series as Scioscia.

But sure, let’s double down on the idea that Bochy is nothing special to facilitate the agenda that Phil Nevin IS special.

Wow.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2023 at 6:37 AM, AngelFanInTheATL said:

If you don't have depth, then no, the pieces are not there.

It's the problem that I have with Perry in that he didn't truly address the lack of depth until this year...his third as GM. Which, is sadly telling and pretty indefensible with names like Lagares, Wade, Suzuki, Gosselin, Duffy, Velasquez and a host of duds including DFA/waiver wire/past-their-prime castoffs like Eaton, Schebler, and a few others. So, in his first 2 years, Perry simply ignored the depth problem or, as these hack pick-ups suggest, didn't take it very seriously at all. Then, this season he signs better pieces like...Drury who has shown he was a good pick-up who will, hopefully, be even better next year after playing with the team this season. So, point being...how much better would this team have been this year if Perry would have been more serious in adding a couple, more competent pieces (even one not named Velasquez) in his first year and then a couple (or even one) more in his second? I mean, whereas I do understand/appreciate the excitement surrounding the potential of O'Hoppe, Neto, & Schanuel it's, honestly tough for me to get too overly optimistic when the GM can't/has yet to explain how an equally promising/rushed group of 2022 pitchers regressed so badly this season...

20 minutes ago, khouse said:

It's the problem that I have with Perry in that he didn't truly address the lack of depth until this year...his third as GM. Which, is sadly telling and pretty indefensible with names like Lagares, Wade, Suzuki, Gosselin, Duffy, Velasquez and a host of duds including DFA/waiver wire/past-their-prime castoffs like Eaton, Schebler, and a few others. So, in his first 2 years, Perry simply ignored the depth problem or, as these hack pick-ups suggest, didn't take it very seriously at all. Then, this season he signs better pieces like...Drury who has shown he was a good pick-up who will, hopefully, be even better next year after playing with the team this season. So, point being...how much better would this team have been this year if Perry would have been more serious in adding a couple, more competent pieces (even one not named Velasquez) in his first year and then a couple (or even one) more in his second? I mean, whereas I do understand/appreciate the excitement surrounding the potential of O'Hoppe, Neto, & Schanuel it's, honestly tough for me to get too overly optimistic when the GM can't/has yet to explain how an equally promising/rushed group of 2022 pitchers regressed so badly this season...

When you look at all those players you listed, they were on the roster because there was nothing in the minor leagues to promote. Eppler left him with a talent shortage that doesn't magically cure itself in one draft.

You really want to hold him accountable for patching 9 holes on the bench and lineup in his first year with a limited budget?

How about a repeat in the second year where he had almost the same cycle of holes not supported by the minors but he stuck with guys like Ward and Walsh. 

Minasian is pulling rabbits out of a hat but the hat is only so big. His owner was going to sell the team and he still pieced together a competitive roster until the dominos started to fall and the injuries out paced the available minor league talent. But he did do a damn good job putting the pieces in place. 

I'm starting to see an actual team imerge out of the rubble of the last eight years. The owner could fuck it all up by dumping Minasian and his people, he could also fuck it up demanding another expensive free agent.

Or... shit gets back on track and the roster becomes 3/4 home grown instead of mercenaries. 

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

I'm starting to see an actual team imerge out of the rubble of the last eight years. The owner could fuck it all up by dumping Minasian and his people, he could also fuck it up demanding another expensive free agent.

Or... shit gets back on track and the roster becomes 3/4 home grown instead of mercenaries. 

i vote for the last option.

get er' done, perry!

I think we can all agree that Minasian has made some good picks. So I would want to retain him.

But to me it seems like the org is lacking strong leadership.

I would bump Minasian down into an assistant GM role where he can focus on drafts/acquisitions/player personnel and have him report to someone else in the GM/POBO role.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I think we can all agree that Minasian has made some good picks. So I would want to retain him.

But to me it seems like the org is lacking strong leadership.

I would bump Minasian down into an assistant GM role where he can focus on drafts/acquisitions/player personnel and have him report to someone else in the GM/POBO role.

According to a recent article they are paying him assistant GM money so to think they are picking up anyone for a higher ranking role is wishful thinking.