• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2023 College Football Thread

Not sure if any of you saw the ending to the Alabama/Auburn game but it was insane.  Auburn all but had the game won, up 24-20 with 40 seconds left and Alabama had a 4th and goal from their 31 yard line.  YES, their 31 yard line after a bad snap lost them 20 yards.

Milroe rolls out, Auburn only rushes 2 people and drops 9 into coverage, and Milroe proceeds to hit his receiver in the corner of the end zone for the go ahead TD.

Auburn played 59:20 of great football then completely shit the bed.  I’m pretty sure Hugh Freeze didn’t sleep a wink last night.

Edited by PattyD22

Well here we go, let the free agency…..ahem, transfer portal BS begin.  Some very interesting names have already entered the portal with more to follow.  Dante Moore, DJ Unga……, Riley Leonard, Will Rogers, just to name a few QB’s.

Plenty of WR’s, OL, DL and grad transfers to choose from.  Honestly, I’m OK with Grad Transfers as they have fulfilled the education requirement, but the no penalty transfer portal is going to destroy college football teams and coupled with NIL money, will decimate smaller, mid major programs who won’t be able to compete with the big money donors.

I’ve never been a fan of the portal and still aren’t.

The mid and smaller programs are basically the minor leagues for the big programs now. The NCAA never gave a shit about the small or mid tier programs, they were just there to have a giveaway game for their top tiers. But now it's just evil and a way to keep teams in the top ten to stay there without have to worry about recruiting since they can do it with the portal.

Modifications will have to be made. One would be any team that finishes in the top ten can't use the portal the following season. Any team that uses the portal has to make a monetary compensation to the team losing the player. 

Boise State (8-5) beat UNLV (9-4) for the MW conference championship in Vegas, 44-20.

Next BSU plays UCLA (7-5) in the LA Bowl on Dec. 16 at SoFi.

Broncos finished strong after firing their head coach three weeks ago, winning their last three games.

IMO the interim coach Spencer Danielson should get the permanent head coaching job. Completely different team these last few weeks.

Edited by Jay

21 hours ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

I watched the Florida State - Louisville game last night. FSU's offense was horrible. Ironic that they lost their starting QB to a broken leg in a game that they could have won without him.

FSU got screwed. Going undefeated and winning the ACC should put them in the playoffs.

18 hours ago, Jay said:

Boise State (8-5) beat UNLV (9-4) for the MW conference championship in Vegas, 44-20.

Next BSU plays UCLA (7-5) in the LA Bowl on Dec. 16 at SoFi.

Broncos finished strong after firing their head coach three weeks ago, winning their last three games.

IMO the interim coach Spencer Danielson should get the permanent head coaching job. Completely different team these last few weeks.

Well here you go. 

Boise State names interim Spencer Danielson new head coach - ESPN

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39033959/sources-boise-st-name-interim-spencer-danielson-new-coach

11 hours ago, St1ck said:

Well here you go. 

Boise State names interim Spencer Danielson new head coach - ESPN

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39033959/sources-boise-st-name-interim-spencer-danielson-new-coach

Yeah but, can you imagine abandoning your team right before a bowl game...?

Boise State quarterback Taylen Green enters transfer portal, but keeps door open to return

https://www.bronconationnews.com/boise-state-quarterback-taylen-green-enters-transfer-portal-but-keeps-door-open-to-return/

If Green indeed leaves, Boise State would be left with true freshman CJ Tiller or walk-on Colt Fulton as the available options at quarterback for the LA Bowl against UCLA on Dec. 16.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Boise State quarterback Taylen Green enters transfer portal, but keeps door open to return

https://www.bronconationnews.com/boise-state-quarterback-taylen-green-enters-transfer-portal-but-keeps-door-open-to-return/

If Green indeed leaves, Boise State would be left with true freshman CJ Tiller or walk-on Colt Fulton as the available options at quarterback for the LA Bowl against UCLA on Dec. 16.

You mean like this?

https://sports.yahoo.com/usc-qb-caleb-williams-wont-play-in-holiday-bowl-vs-louisville-180629635.html

Last Saturday the Montana Grizzlies destroyed the Delaware Blue Hens in the first round of the playoffs, 49-19 on their home turf.

656c259eccca1.image.jpg?resize=1200,857

Next up is Furman from Greenville, South Carolina, at 7pm on Friday night in Missoula. ESPN2 is carrying the game so I will be camped on the couch for every play. The last time the Grizzlies played Furman was for the National Championship game in 2001 and Montana came home with the trophy. 

I would fly out and see this game in person but I just had knee surgery yesterday so no travel for a few weeks. 

14 hours ago, Jay said:

As of right now (well since last Friday) over 1100 players have abandoned their teams and entered the transfer portal.  That’s as of Monday night.  That number can be 1200-1300 right now.  Oregon State has lost their starter AND their backup to the portal after their coach left them high and dry on his way to Michigan State.

This is happening at a lightning pace.  Georgia, Mississippi State, Duke, UCLA, etc have all lost their starting QB’s to the portal.

It’s truly the start of the demise of college football as we used to know it.  And this is coming from a guy who cherishes what the game of college football was like for 45 years.  It pains me.

2 hours ago, PattyD22 said:

As of right now (well since last Friday) over 1100 players have abandoned their teams and entered the transfer portal.  That’s as of Monday night.  That number can be 1200-1300 right now.  Oregon State has lost their starter AND their backup to the portal after their coach left them high and dry on his way to Michigan State.

This is happening at a lightning pace.  Georgia, Mississippi State, Duke, UCLA, etc have all lost their starting QB’s to the portal.

It’s truly the start of the demise of college football as we used to know it.  And this is coming from a guy who cherishes what the game of college football was like for 45 years.  It pains me.

The portal was a stupid idea from the start. It was designed to favor the big programs and use all the others as their minor leagues. The NCAA is such a corrupt organization. 

17 hours ago, Jay said:

I'm not well-versed in this so forgive me but why do players have to enter the transfer portal before the bowl games have been played?

It doesn’t have to do with the bowl games @Jay, it has to do with how the semester system sets up.  If you enter the transfer portal and intend to change schools, you must be a registered student for the second semester before you can play football.  

So logistically, the portal opens December 4th, so student/athletes can “hopefully” get picked up by a school, enroll, move into housing, and be ready when spring ball starts.

In a perfect world, that’s how it works.  But for the majority of the 1200 or so portal players, they are going to end up at Division 2 or FCS schools due to scholarship limits.

Edited by PattyD22

• 2 weeks later...

It's going to be hard for anyone to top the oddly-named Famous Toastery Bowl (a temporary relocation of the Bahamas Bowl to Charlotte while stadium renovations are completed) for sheer entertainment. Old Dominion jumped out to a 21-0 lead over Western Kentucky in the first quarter, eventually leading by 28 in the third. WKU tied the game on a 15-yard touchdown pass on fourth and goal with 19 seconds remaining to force OT. ODU got the ball first. Their QB was sacked on the first play, but they eventually made it to the WKU one with first and goal. The WKU defense held. ODU was going for it on fourth and goal, but a false start penalty forced them to attempt a field goal, which was blocked. WKU completed the comeback with a 29 yard field goal to win it.

A 7-5 UCLA team is playing a 7-5 Boise St. team in something called the "LA Bowl hosted by Gronk" on December 16th is ruining college football way more than the transfer portal ever could.

Maybe it's me, but I loved watching the Oregon Washington games between transfers Penix and Nix instead of them being stuck on mediocre Indiana and Auburn teams fighting to reach the Bahamas Bowl or whatever. But maybe you enjoy that more?

On 12/21/2023 at 7:41 AM, eaterfan said:

A 7-5 UCLA team is playing a 7-5 Boise St. team in something called the "LA Bowl hosted by Gronk" on December 16th is ruining college football way more than the transfer portal ever could.

Maybe it's me, but I loved watching the Oregon Washington games between transfers Penix and Nix instead of them being stuck on mediocre Indiana and Auburn teams fighting to reach the Bahamas Bowl or whatever. But maybe you enjoy that more?

My son went to that game. He had a great time.

15 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

Even with all the players sitting out because they are entering the draft or transferring?

He made no mention of those things so I'm going to assume yes. 

Probably didn't hurt that he had great seats. 

28420.jpeg