• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2023 College Football Thread

Normally, our good friend Lou would be starting this, but it would be my pleasure to officially kick off the 2023 college football season in his honor 🙏.

A couple games of note today, Notre Dame takes on traditional foe, Navy in Dublin and the Trojans start their final year in the PAC12, with San Jose State.

I think both teams should win.  Navy is breaking in a new coach and new offensive system, while USC should have no issues if their defense decides to show up.

Should be an interesting season with the impending movement out of conferences.  I can’t wait.

Both of my former schools (Florida and Oklahoma) are going into their second season with new head coaches and coming off 6-6 regular seasons and bowl losses. Oklahoma seems poised to make a jump, Florida not so much. My fears have been realized, with Oklahoma going to the SEC in 2024 and the schools probably meeting on a semi-regular basis in football. The 2008 national championship game was my worst night as a sports fan.

So this week has one premier game on Sunday featuring #5 LSU at #8 FSU.  I’m really not sure what all the hype is around FSU, but who knows?  LSU’s Jayden Daniels is a good QB, but let’s see what Brian Kelly does with him.  His track record of QB development is questionable at best.

Florida at #14 Utah should be good on Thursday as SEC teams playing out west, especially at night, seems like a good bet with Utah, but again it’s early in the betting season.  Utah is a 4 point favorite.

Other than that, not many other games grab my interest.  UCLA and Coastal Carolina?  Don’t sleep on Coastal, UCLA.

Edited by PattyD22

On 8/30/2023 at 4:14 PM, Vegas Halo Fan said:

Cam Rising is apparently not going to play for Utah.

Go Gators.

It didn’t matter @Vegas Halo Fan.  The Gators didn’t play very well at all.  

They are going to have to improve in all phases of the game between now and next week, or this team could be in big trouble come conference play.

20 hours ago, PattyD22 said:

They are going to have to improve in all phases of the game between now and next week, or this team could be in big trouble come conference play.

I wasn't expecting much from this team. They committed one of the dumbest penalties I have ever seen. Utah punted on fourth and three. The Gators were penalized five yards for having two players on the field for the punt return with the same number, giving Utah a first down. They scored a touchdown on the drive. Play calling was atrocious. There was little effort to get the ball to playmakers in space. Graham Mertz didn't play badly, with what he was given to work with. The defense stopped nothing, especially in the passing game.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

5 hours ago, St1ck said:

This Colorado/TCU game is awesome.

Crazy game, but a typical TCU defensive effort.  Nonetheless, fun game to watch.  I happened to be playing golf at San Juan Hills Golf Club and it’s a TCU game watch place.

Lots of unhappy Horned Frog fans leaving the clubhouse after the game.

So what can I say about the first full weekend of games.   Hmmmmm. Coach Prime has self anointed his team as National Champs already but is early.

LSU completely shit the bed against FSU, and it couldn’t happen to a nicer coach, Brian Kelly, who immediately threw his players under the bus in true Brian Kelly form.

Oregon scored 81 points, Oklahoma scored 73, Ole Miss scored 73, and USC scored 66 last weekend.  I’ll bet those cupcakes tasted pretty good.

Ill be interested to see if Coach Prime can keep his team and himself focused next week against Nebraska.  Game opened as a “pick ‘em” and is already at -3 1/2 for CU.  I’m buying into the hype and got it at 2 last night.

Miss you Lou.

Some good games on the slate this weekend highlighted by Alabama/Texas.  The Tide come in as 7 point favorites.  We gonna see if the student can beat the teacher.  

USC plays Stanford and enters as a 29 point favorite but for some reason, Stanford tends to play them tough.  The over /under is at 69, so an interesting parlay play there.  Hmmmm.

Some other good games:

Auburn/Cal

Notre Dame/NC State

OK State/ASU

I’m trying not to overreact over the first week or 2. 

im not buying Colorado. I still see them beating Nebraska, but not long term. Their defense looked bad against TCU. 0 sacks and 0 tackles for loss in about 80 snaps 

Ohio state having qb issues. Won’t be a problem against Youngstown state, but against Notre Dame we’ll find out more 

SEC looks down early. Very top heavy w Bama, Georgia, maybe Tennessee. LSU getting destroyed on national tv didn’t help. They have a lot of interesting non conference games this week. Anyone exited for Arizona @ a miss state ??

Pac 12 as a whole showed out in week 1. 

I think Bama is in a must win situation against Texas early 

On 8/31/2023 at 8:52 PM, PattyD22 said:

It could scarcely have gone worse. Touchdown on Utah's first play from scrimmage, giving them a first down on a stupid penalty on fourth and three for what turned out to be a touchdown drive, no running game, false starts that killed drives.