• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2023 College Football Thread

I don't know how they could be so dominant in the first half and absolutely fall apart in the second. I wasn't watching, but when I saw the halftime score I decided not to start watching. I didn't want to see Deion mugging for the camera. Slowly but surely, Colorado's hire is being exposed as the publicity stunt that it is.

As far as Notre Dame being favored over USC, point spreads are more about betting lines than predictions. The sports books have a lot of money coming in on ND because they have won the last five games in the series at South Bend.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

1 hour ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

As far as Notre Dame being favored over USC, point spreads are more about betting lines than predictions. The sports books have a lot of money coming in on ND because they have won the last five games in the series at South Bend.

Oh I get how sports books work.  Aside from the built in 2-3 point home field advantage, I still have a hard time believing ND can contain Caleb Williams.

USC on the money line is getting significant action.  68% at William Hill and 70% at Ceaser’s. That’s about right.

Edited by PattyD22

In college football the success rate for a point after is around 94%. The two point conversion is closer to 43% but is rarely used, primarily in close games to tie or put the team into a field goal tie or win or put the other team out of the same. 

Would the numbers change if a team were to try for the two point more often, let's say every chance. If that success rate goes up to 50% or more it is better odds than a simple PAT to have the same or better score. 

Most people in Vegas would look at doubling your money at even odds with the house as a good enough bet. In football not at all but it sure would make the game more interesting than PAT. So much so I'd advocate eliminating the basically free kick but to balance it out eliminate the Bush Push as well. 

I watched Montana playing Idaho last night and they nearly lost a sure win by the most overused coaching method in football, playing not to lose.

Up 23-7 in the 4th quarter the Montana coach went full wussy after Idaho had scored making the score 23-15 after a two point conversion. Montana's offense was pretty effective all night mixing pass with run plays then came the inevitable, the coach calls three run plays in a row and Idaho knew they were going to do it and snuffed them. 

Montana gets off a very good punt but Idaho runs down the field in a couple plays on quarterback scrambles and some miracle throws, scores a touchdown the pulls its own full retard and tries for a trick play where it's an end around option and the player has an open field for the conversion, tries to pull up and slips and falls unable to pass the ball.

Montana gets a lucky offsides call on an Idaho recovery on the onside kick so the second attempt Montana recovers and ends up on about the 37. Then it's back to full retard with failed running plays, aagain looking at a 4th down and 3 they go for it instead if kicking the field goal. And it's not like the field goal was risky, their kicker nailed three from 44, 46 and 44 yards splitting the center goal posts. But they go with a quarterback keeper, not even trying an option play and Idaho holds. Just playing not to win the last 3 series and now with just under 2 minutes Idaho has their chance.

All night Montana was running blitzes and even with 4 man rushes were getting hurries and sacks. A few blitzes bit them in the butt with scrambles but this time they came 6 strong and forced a game ending fumble.

A couple of kneels and all of the stupid ultra conservative 4th down series are forgotten, the Grizzlies are now 6-1 and atop their division.

But the could easily have ended up 5-2 like Idaho by playing scared of their own talent. The defense was aggressive all night, drew only one penalty in the second half.  The offense simple cowered in the 4th quarter afraid to lose. Move the defensive coordinators attitude to the offense and this game would have been a cakewalk. 

19 hours ago, PattyD22 said:

Just another crazy PAC12 game being played between Washington and Oregon.  Two great QB’s, some interesting coaching decisions, and great play calling.

A back and forth game and fun to watch.

Yes, that was a great game. A typical top CFB type of match with both teams going all out for the win on 4th downs and with 2 point conversion attempts. And it wasn't that the defenses were bad, Oregon's in particular rushed the Washington QB time and again to get the ball back quickly, it was that they were facing high quality QB's with some excellent receivers and a tiny little running back with the lowest centre of gravity I've ever seen. Great fun to watch, and I thought whichever team lost could feel a little unlucky. CFB at its best.

The Bruins after that were a bit of a let-down.

4 hours ago, Blarg said:

I watched Montana playing Idaho last night and they nearly lost a sure win by the most overused coaching method in football, playing not to lose.

Up 23-7 in the 4th quarter the Montana coach went full wussy after Idaho had scored making the score 23-15 after a two point conversion. Montana's offense was pretty effective all night mixing pass with run plays then came the inevitable, the coach calls three run plays in a row and Idaho knew they were going to do it and snuffed them. 

Montana gets off a very good punt but Idaho runs down the field in a couple plays on quarterback scrambles and some miracle throws, scores a touchdown the pulls its own full retard and tries for a trick play where it's an end around option and the player has an open field for the conversion, tries to pull up and slips and falls unable to pass the ball.

Montana gets a lucky offsides call on an Idaho recovery on the onside kick so the second attempt Montana recovers and ends up on about the 37. Then it's back to full retard with failed running plays, aagain looking at a 4th down and 3 they go for it instead if kicking the field goal. And it's not like the field goal was risky, their kicker nailed three from 44, 46 and 44 yards splitting the center goal posts. But they go with a quarterback keeper, not even trying an option play and Idaho holds. Just playing not to win the last 3 series and now with just under 2 minutes Idaho has their chance.

All night Montana was running blitzes and even with 4 man rushes were getting hurries and sacks. A few blitzes bit them in the butt with scrambles but this time they came 6 strong and forced a game ending fumble.

A couple of kneels and all of the stupid ultra conservative 4th down series are forgotten, the Grizzlies are now 6-1 and atop their division.

But the could easily have ended up 5-2 like Idaho by playing scared of their own talent. The defense was aggressive all night, drew only one penalty in the second half.  The offense simple cowered in the 4th quarter afraid to lose. Move the defensive coordinators attitude to the offense and this game would have been a cakewalk. 

I don't think even collectively there have ever been this many words written about a Montana v Idaho game. 

Well, the leaks that were springing out at USC came to fruition last night as Notre Dame put an ass whooping on them last night.  But it wasn’t necessarily their defense that was the issue, it was their offense that did them in, and in particular, the reigning Heisman Trophy winner.  Notre Dame pressured, hit, harassed, and intercepted him 3 times in the first half, enroute to a 48-20 beat down.  After avoiding losses the last 2 weeks prior, Notre Dame showed USC fans why there is concern regarding Lincoln Riley, and his coaching staff.

The road doesn’t get any easier for them the rest of the way either.

Poor Caleb. Poor Lincoln.

Not.

Tear down the goalposts, Florida won a road game - even coming back from ten points down in the fourth quarter at South Carolina. Maybe Billy Napier has finally figured out that handoff, handoff, handoff, punt isn't a viable offensive game plan. Over 400 yards passing for the Gators, which floored me.

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

Alex Grinch's USC defense held a team who couldn't move the ball against Auburn to only 49 points.

Cal had the game won if they had hung onto the football.

USC is no powerhouse team this season but should have rolled Cal. 

On 10/14/2023 at 1:43 PM, Blarg said:

In college football the success rate for a point after is around 94%. The two point conversion is closer to 43% but is rarely used, primarily in close games to tie or put the team into a field goal tie or win or put the other team out of the same. 

Would the numbers change if a team were to try for the two point more often, let's say every chance. If that success rate goes up to 50% or more it is better odds than a simple PAT to have the same or better score. 

Most people in Vegas would look at doubling your money at even odds with the house as a good enough bet. In football not at all but it sure would make the game more interesting than PAT. So much so I'd advocate eliminating the basically free kick but to balance it out eliminate the Bush Push as well. 

Another possibility is to adopt rules that the World Football League used in the 1970s. A touchdown was worth seven points (so that it was worth more than two field goals). After a touchdown a team tried for one point on what was called an "action point". The team had to run or pass for the extra point.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry fellas, been MIA for a couple weeks.  I’ve been helping my wife care for her ill parents but I still try and pop in when I can.

Lets see, since my last visit USC finally got rid of Alex Grinch, but not before it cost them a CFP spot and a Top 25 ranking.  Colorado sucks, Coach Prime is throwing his players, especially his O Line under the bus, and is in danger of not making a bowl game.  Bummer.

What used to be the PAC 12 is playing some pretty good football.  Arizona is actually a fun team to watch.  So is Oregon and Washington.  Too bad it all blows up next year.

Some good games today, PSU and the Wolverines lock up today without the now twice suspended Harbaugh.  I expect a low scoring defensive game.  Don’t really care who wins.

Kiffin and Ole Miss get to try and beat his old coach mate, Kirby Smart.  I like Kirby and the Bulldogs in this game, but I think Ole Miss can hang for a bit.

Washington/Utah in Seattle looks like a good game also.  Weather may play a role, but I’m hoping for the over 48 to hit.  Fingers crossed.

Missed you guys.  

12 hours ago, PattyD22 said:

Washington/Utah in Seattle looks like a good game also.  Weather may play a role, but I’m hoping for the over 48 to hit.  Fingers crossed.

Weather: Check. Really kept the scoring down in the second half. The first half was fun to watch.

Over: You had that by halftime.

On 11/13/2023 at 1:50 PM, AngelsLongBall said:

https://www.on3.com/news/pasadena-police-confirm-suspects-colorado-locker-room-theft-versus-ucla-high-school-recruits/

Suspects in Colorado locker room theft at Rose Bowl were on UCLA official visit

I was wondering why my son's friend was wearing a Shedeur gold chain last time I saw him. 

• 2 weeks later...