• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

AngelsWin Podcast - Episode 16

Chuck

IMG_9116.JPG

Another week, another .500 performance by the Angels. That’s not going to get it done. But what will it take?  Join Victor Rojas, Chuck Richter and Geoff Stoddart for Episode 16 of the AngelsWin Podcast. They discuss what’s left on the Angels schedule for the balance of the year and what it will take for them to have a shot at the playoffs. Also, what could 2024 look like without Ohtani?  

We also got to some great fan mailbag questions. 

And finally, a farewell to some friends.

Not sure why Victor keeps making it seem like the season was blown because the Angels announced "formally" they weren't trading Ohtani (5 days before the trade deadline). 

that decision was publically announced by a Arte a couple months before the deadline.  Arte was not going to trade Ohtani period.

11 hours ago, Swordsman78 said:

Not sure why Victor keeps making it seem like the season was blown because the Angels announced "formally" they weren't trading Ohtani (5 days before the trade deadline). 

that decision was publically announced by a Arte a couple months before the deadline.  Arte was not going to trade Ohtani period.

I've never taken his critique as being that "the season was blown" because of that decision.  To me it's always been more a critique on the savviness  (or lack thereof) of the management of this organization. 

There was no reason to do it!  That's highlighted by the tidbit you shared about Arte.  He had already said he wasn't going to do it.  So why make the announcement?  What benefit did the team get from it?  Why not keep the rest of the league guessing and spinning their wheels?  The Angels could always come back the day after the trade deadline and say, "we told you months ago we weren't going to do it. If you didn't believe us, that's on you."

1 hour ago, Spirit said:

I've never taken his critique as being that "the season was blown" because of that decision.  To me it's always been more a critique on the savviness  (or lack thereof) of the management of this organization. 

There was no reason to do it!  That's highlighted by the tidbit you shared about Arte.  He had already said he wasn't going to do it.  So why make the announcement?  What benefit did the team get from it?  Why not keep the rest of the league guessing and spinning their wheels?  The Angels could always come back the day after the trade deadline and say, "we told you months ago we weren't going to do it. If you didn't believe us, that's on you."

Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Could the reason be that they announced the decision 5 days ahead of the trade deadline be that it was a distraction to the players and coaching staff at the time. It was becoming a circus of speculation by outsiders to any discussions.  The sooner they put the distractions aside, and tried to get on with supporting the team with the personnel they had in place the better, time may have been of the essence.  Of course now we have the benefit of hind site, the team has lost too many games recently to be a serious contender, therefore it's easier to criticize the urgency of saying formally that they wouldn't trade him.

To me it was more of an effort by Minasian to say to the current staff and players, "Hey, look no one on the major league roster is going anywhere, I'm giving you all the additional help I can by signing veteran players, stay focused on winning games this year".  It's more of a I believe in you moment, not a poor or rash decision. 

17 hours ago, Swordsman78 said:

He's basically continuing to speak about. The thought process, there was no need to say it. Unless, they were trying to pump the dudes in the dugout and the coaches. To decrease some of the clubhouse unknown...

Simply stated, he doesn't feel the leadership in the dugout and coaching staff are a successful group of people. 

IF Perry & Arte felt they needed to say that to poke the Roster and coaching staff to take the unknown out of it and just play baseball... Then they have the wrong guys in those positions.

Some, could call it Victor's Conspiracy Theory. 

Yet, as a player and coaching staff. If your pressing due to the unknown. You probably shouldn't be in that position. = BAD Leadership 

And

As a GM if you feel that you need to say that to motivate your guys in the dugout and coaching staff to continue to push forward.. = Young GM Leadership. And didn't need to be said. That is something to be communicated in the offices and NOT public.

12 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

He's basically continuing to speak about. The thought process, there was no need to say it. Unless, they were trying to pump the dudes in the dugout and the coaches. To decrease some of the clubhouse unknown...

Simply stated, he doesn't feel the leadership in the dugout and coaching staff are a successful group of people. 

IF Perry & Arte felt they needed to say that to poke the Roster and coaching staff to take the unknown out of it and just play baseball... Then they have the wrong guys in those positions.

Some, could call it Victor's Conspiracy Theory. 

Yet, as a player and coaching staff. If your pressing due to the unknown. You probably shouldn't be in that position. = BAD Leadership 

Yeah. I meant to bring this up to finish Victor's point yesterday, but it's crazy to think that Zach Neto and Chase Silseth (rookies) and a mid-season acquisition (Moustakas) show the most fight and outwardly appearance of wanting to win ball games on this team. 

That's not to say Trout and the other guys don't want to win, I mean duh, they all do...but as fans we like to see that passion on the field to confirm their desire to win. Heck, even Mark Gubicza got a boner seeing Ace Silseth walk off the mound yesterday showing some fire when he got through that 5th inning to secure a scoreless outing. 

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

Yeah. I meant to bring this up to finish Victor's point yesterday, but it's crazy to think that Zach Neto and Chase Silseth (rookies) and a mid-season acquisition (Moustakas) show the most fight and outwardly appearance of wanting to win ball games on this team. 

That's not to say Trout and the other guys don't want to win, I mean duh, they all do...but as fans we like to see that passion on the field to confirm their desire to win. Heck, even Mark Gubicza got a boner seeing Ace Silseth walk off the mound yesterday showing some fire when he got through that 5th inning to secure a scoreless outing. 

Good point Chuck, everyone works and shows excitement differently you've got RAHRAH/Warrior type guys, and you have the Internal guys, and then you've got the aloof guys.

People are different. That's why you need all types in a clubhouse. The RAHRAH/Warrior types tend to burn themselves out sometimes. Or, get frustrated by situations.

It's the makeup of the Individual. And no matter how they work or motivate themselves you can't press depending on the Individual as everyone is different.

You brought up Renfroe I shared those photos yesterday of his popup with the bases loaded he had was battling... it was just a horribly executed swing in that situation. And due to the way the team is currently rolling the breaks aren't happening. And it's been consistently bad during his drought. It could be over-thinking on his part. It could be less preparation to not make him over think. Without being there you just don't continue to practice the bad and expecting different results! That's basic Tee-Work (knob to the ball and go).

We just don't in reality know what's going on in the dugout and in the GM office. As it shows a lack of inconsistency overall.

I'm still not of fan of the Cron acquisition I see why. Just didn't believe he moved the needle enough. Grichuk was a need that we didn't have and he's had some decent at bats at certain times and just missed the OPPO TACO yesterday late.

And that is pretty much the issue now!

The team has placed themselves at the point acquisitions included that they can NO LONGER JUST MISS on ANYTHING.

1 hour ago, Tank said:

*except for all the boneheaded answers to the incredibly well-written and thoughtful question about pursuing trevor bauer

It actually just hit me when Victor and Chuck were answering the question.  "Can you imagine if we lose Ohtani, one of the kindness and most gentle players in the game, and team's response was, "no worries, everyone!  Meet Trevor Bauer!"  lol

2 hours ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

I'm still not of fan of the Cron acquisition I see why. Just didn't believe he moved the needle enough. Grichuk was a need that we didn't have

So you’d rather have who playing 1B and LF?

They needed a LF when Ward got hurt.

Escobar was awful at 3B. So they needed to try someone else, which is why they added Cron and moved Moose to 3B.

10 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

This was the surrender episode.  And that’s fine.  It’s more or less time for that.  RIP 2023.  The abyss awaits. 

You know, it wasn't intended to be the surrender episode.  I mean, they're not mathematically eliminated yet.  ("A chip and a chair," right?)

But when I ran the numbers and determined they were going to need to go 30-13 over the final 43 games ... oof!

31 minutes ago, Spirit said:

You know, it wasn't intended to be the surrender episode.  I mean, they're not mathematically eliminated yet.  ("A chip and a chair," right?)

But when I ran the numbers and determined they were going to need to go 30-13 over the final 43 games ... oof!

Yep. Did the same thing earlier in the week and really just came to the mind set that I'd love to see them finish strong and with at least a winning record.