• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Perry Minasian is us

Chuck

You got to feel for the guy. As much as the last couple weeks have sucked for us, we have (or can have) greater distance from the Angels, and it isn't our livelihood.  Perry lives and breathes the Angels, and really his whole career is riding on what he does in the next year or so. If he can't move the needle at all, I'm not sure he's going to get another GM job, at least not for awhile. Regardless of the various factors involved, the GM is still responsible for building a winning team. He has had three years, and is about to go 0-3, and that last plate appearance is a GIDP with one out and the bases loaded in the bottom of the 8th, down by a couple runs. If he can at least get 82 wins out of this year and break the losing season streak, I suppose we can say he's 0-2 with a walk. But he really needs a "hit" next year - not a great year, but one in which he either consolidates a winning season this year, or actually fields a contender into September.

In other words, I think Perry's bare minimum requirements for continuing his career as a GM beyond 2024 are 82+ wins this year, 87+ wins next. Or maybe <82 wins this year, but 90+ next. Not an easy task.

Edited by Angelsjunky

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

You got to feel for the guy. As much as the last couple weeks have sucked for us, we have (or can have) greater distance from the Angels, and it isn't our livelihood.  Perry lives and breathes the Angels, and really his whole career is riding on what he does in the next year or so. If he can't move the needle at all, I'm not sure he's going to get another GM job, at least not for awhile. Regardless of the various factors involved, the GM is still responsible for building a winning team. He has had three years, and is about to go 0-3, and that last plate appearance is a GIDP with one out and the bases loaded in the bottom of the 8th, down by a couple runs. If he can at least get 82 wins out of this year and break the losing season streak, I suppose we can say he's 0-2 with a walk. But he really needs a "hit" next year - not a great year, but one in which he either consolidates a winning season this year, or actually fields a contender into September.

In other words, I think Perry's bare minimum requirements for continuing his career as a GM beyond 2024 are 82+ wins this year, 87+ wins next. Or maybe <82 wins this year, but 90+ next. Not an easy task.

I think he has a legitimate shot at achieving those goals whether Ohtani stays or goes.  He works hard, seems to be really into into his job, is a good deal maker, and understands legitimate talent when he sees it.

9 hours ago, Jay said:

I wonder if the guys who are in love with Minasian are the same guys who were in love with Dipoto, Eppler, etc. I'm baffled how posters here fall in love with the Angels GM and make excuses even as the team perennially underperforms.

Baffling take because those GM's don't belong in the same sentence. Dipoto was an awful GM, did nothing for the farm system besides ruin it. Then Eppler came into a total junk scenario and did a lot of fixing. Takes years to fix the incompetence Dipoto brought here. Eppler did a great job. When your team is tied up in stupid contracts that weren't your fault (Pujols) you are forced to do stupid low-risk moves like sign Matt Harvey. And then Tyler Skaggs literally died. These things don't help.

Bet you can't make a strong argument denying that Minasian has been great.

There's a lot of room between "Perry's been great" and "Perry sux." Just as there was a gap between Dipoto and Eppler, so too is there a gap between Eppler and Minasian. But...the story isn't over. And that means that we can both hold off on declaring his greatness until proof manifests in the pudding and declaring his suckitude because he hasn't magically and quickly turned around a franchise that was virtually in shambles.

IMO the Angels need GM/Mgr continuity for the next 5 years.   Nobody can point out any tangible/non emotional reason not to keep both and get behind them.

Flipping these positions every 1-3 years means different philosophies which means different roster needs, which means patchwork product every year.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting article about Minasian.

https://sports.yahoo.com/were-a-product-of-alexs-success-how-3-friends-grew-together-to-become-some-of-mlbs-most-influential-execs-184747343.html

If this was already shared previously, sorry.

Regardless of what I think about Arte, I think we should give Perry the benefit of the doubt and a little more patience before giving up on him.  Minasian inherited quite a large mess.

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, Lupe said:

Artie Moreno needs to stick to his billboards & sell the team ASAP.
Angels are going to lose Shohei.

They’re going to lose Mike Trout.

Perry Minasian needs to be fired ASAP!

This team has gone from bad to worse!

Haha, ok. Thanks.

4 hours ago, Lupe said:

Artie Moreno needs to stick to his billboards & sell the team ASAP.
Angels are going to lose Shohei.

They’re going to lose Mike Trout.

Perry Minasian needs to be fired ASAP!

This team has gone from bad to worse!

Calm down sir

On 8/27/2023 at 6:33 PM, JVel17 said:

Interesting article about Minasian.

https://sports.yahoo.com/were-a-product-of-alexs-success-how-3-friends-grew-together-to-become-some-of-mlbs-most-influential-execs-184747343.html

If this was already shared previously, sorry.

Regardless of what I think about Arte, I think we should give Perry the benefit of the doubt and a little more patience before giving up on him.  Minasian inherited quite a large mess.

Um...mess? You might contend that in his defense but how do you explain the quote below where coming into the job, Minasian saw a team "close to competing"? Which, again, was a ridiculous (bordering on blind) statement for him to make. But, no doubt, was said to appease/endorse the nonsense that Arte/the front office was stating at the time as well...

"We don’t feel like we’re that far away — we don’t," Minasian said. "I think we’re closer than what our record might show to competing."

https://www.si.com/mlb/angels/news/angels-news-gm-minasian-thinks-halos-are-close-to-contending-rm94

3 hours ago, khouse said:

Um...mess? You might contend that in his defense but how do you explain the quote below where coming into the job, Minasian saw a team "close to competing"? Which, again, was a ridiculous (bordering on blind) statement for him to make. But, no doubt, was said to appease/endorse the nonsense that Arte/the front office was stating at the time as well...

"We don’t feel like we’re that far away — we don’t," Minasian said. "I think we’re closer than what our record might show to competing."

https://www.si.com/mlb/angels/news/angels-news-gm-minasian-thinks-halos-are-close-to-contending-rm94

What the hell do you expect him to say?  “This roster sucks”?

I like Minasian.  He now has a draft resume and most importantly he has some success in convincing Moreno that it is more important to build a balanced roster than to singularly chase a superstar.

And, you always have to consider who would replace him.  I don’t see any real obvious upgrade.  I wouldn’t roll the dice right now hoping for something better.

I hope he gets an extension.

He just needs full control, something we know Arte refuses to give anyone. 

I was encouraged by how he built the depth of the roster. If he can do that again, and by some miracle we re-sign Ohtani, and everyone stays healthy, and all the pitchers significantly improve, and we add a big bat and pitcher, then maybe we can win 87 games. 😀👍

55 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

He just needs full control, something we know Arte refuses to give anyone. 

I was encouraged by how he built the depth of the roster. If he can do that again, and by some miracle we re-sign Ohtani, and everyone stays healthy, and all the pitchers significantly improve, and we add a big bat and pitcher, then maybe we can win 87 games. 😀👍

If they sign Ohtani then how will Trout and Rendon get consistent ABs?

9 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

Perry Min"ass"ion is NOT us.  (except for Strad, Hubs, BTH, Jason Pritchett).

Perry is a coward and needs to be bumped down and mocked.

I really think you need counseling having such a fixation over an interim manager being let go.