• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Anyone think

wopphil

2 minutes ago, wopphil said:

The next move will be another huge move? Like Goldschmidt, Verlander, or even Juan Soto? You kind of wonder if Arte might be ready to push every chip in. I am confident they aren’t done, and confident they are looking for a game changer and not merely another role player. 

I get the feeling it will be a big get. Whether that’s Hader, Bellinger or even Verlander or Goldschmidt. 

I don't think the Angels have the pieces for another major move. Maybe something smaller, like Mous and Escobar were. 

For better or for worse, the Angels won't be acquiring any major targets via trade for the next several years. The only thing they'll be doing is drafting/developing and signing free agents until the farm system is rebuilt. 

14 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I still say do your shopping in St. Louis and take on all the money and go get Goldschmidt, Contreras and Hicks. 

Unfortunately Hicks is on IL and will not be back until after the deadline.

Screenshot_20230728_130353_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Edited by Slegnaac

No, because we don’t really have the prospects for a big trade. Bachman? Silseth? Rada? Paris? There isn’t much left.

Agree with @Stradling in that the Angels last real path to acquiring a ‘big name’ is going to be eating money, a La Goldy, Contreras, Flaherty, Hicks, Stratton or Montgomery from St. Louis or Verlander/Scherzer from NYM, and even then there will probably have to be some decent prospects involved. 

4 minutes ago, totdprods said:

No, because we don’t really have the prospects for a big trade. Bachman? Silseth? Rada? Paris? There isn’t much left.

Agree with @Stradling in that the Angels last real path to acquiring a ‘big name’ is going to be eating money, a La Goldy, Contreras, Flaherty, Hicks, Stratton or Montgomery from St. Louis or Verlander/Scherzer from NYM, and even then there will probably have to be some decent prospects involved. 

You could include Canning.

1 hour ago, Revad said:

You could include Canning.

I pitched it elsewhere, and I don't necessarily think it's the best idea, but would you trade one of Canning or Sandoval to a team for a couple rentals?

Such as Sandoval for Snell and Hader? Vastly improves the '23 team, opens a big hole for '24 team...but perhaps one solved via FA or an internal option, especially if we go into a rebuild if we don't make the playoffs and Ohtani walks.

There's a lot of teams where a Canning/Sandoval for rentals (or pref. rentals-plus) make some sense...

• Padres: Snell + Hader 
  • Cubs: Stroman/Hendricks/Fulmer/Bellinger/Barnhart/Gomes/Smyly  
  • Cardinals: Flaherty/Goldschmidt/Contreras/Hicks/Stratton/Montgomery
  • Pirates: Bednar + Hill or Hedges/Holderman
  • Twins: Gray/Maeda + Gallo
  • Mariners: not Sandoval or Canning, but perhaps Rengifo or Ward for Teoscar or Sewald or Murphy
Edited by totdprods

28 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I pitched it elsewhere, and I don't necessarily think it's the best idea, but would you trade one of Canning or Sandoval to a team for a couple rentals?

Such as Sandoval for Snell and Hader? Vastly improves the '23 team, opens a big hole for '24 team...but perhaps one solved via FA or an internal option, especially if we go into a rebuild if we don't make the playoffs and Ohtani walks.

There's a lot of teams where a Canning/Sandoval for rentals (or pref. rentals-plus) make some sense...

• Padres: Snell + Hader 
  • Cubs: Stroman/Hendricks/Fulmer/Bellinger/Barnhart/Gomes/Smyly  
  • Cardinals: Flaherty/Goldschmidt/Contreras/Hicks/Stratton/Montgomery
  • Pirates: Bednar + Hill or Hedges/Holderman
  • Twins: Gray/Maeda + Gallo
  • Mariners: not Sandoval or Canning, but perhaps Rengifo or Ward for Teoscar or Sewald or Murphy

Canning has more service time so I might consider including him, but probably only if it immediately improved the rotation- meaning someone is coming back better than Canning.  

3 minutes ago, Revad said:

Canning has more service time so I might consider including him, but probably only if it immediately improved the rotation- meaning someone is coming back better than Canning.  

A lateral replacement for Canning plus a big upgrade at another spot (relief, 1B, whatever) would be an option. 

FWIW, I actually have more faith in Canning than Sandoval...I just don't think he can give you 30 GS/180 IP year-in/year-out and be effective. Biggest downside though is that he and Shohei seem to be pretty tight.

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

I don't think the Angels have the pieces for another major move. Maybe something smaller, like Mous and Escobar were. 

For better or for worse, the Angels won't be acquiring any major targets via trade for the next several years. The only thing they'll be doing is drafting/developing and signing free agents until the farm system is rebuilt. 

They can get Contreras if they just take on all 72 mil.  That marriage has not gone well so far.  Only reason I think it may be a possibility is the rumored interest in him over the winter.

4 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

They can get Contreras if they just take on all 72 mil.  That marriage has not gone well so far.  Only reason I think it may be a possibility is the rumored interest in him over the winter.

Good point. I'm sure they might look into it again if Shohei walks.