• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels talking to the Nats about Jeimer Candelario

mmc

3 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

So we want either a National 3B or a Cardinal 1B. Seriously?

LOL, nice connection, but I don't think anything is linking us to Goldschmidt.  Given we just drafted one of the best hitters in the draft, who plays 1B, with our top pick, I highly doubt we pursue one who is signed to a long-term deal via trade, much in the same way I seriously doubted we'd pursue a SS after we had just drafted Neto with our top pick.

2 hours ago, Warfarin said:

LOL, nice connection, but I don't think anything is linking us to Goldschmidt.  Given we just drafted one of the best hitters in the draft, who plays 1B, with our top pick, I highly doubt we pursue one who is signed to a long-term deal via trade, much in the same way I seriously doubted we'd pursue a SS after we had just drafted Neto with our top pick.

I see your point on Goldschmidt but his contract expires at end of the '24 season. That would give Schanuel about a year or so to get up to speed in the minors. Meanwhile we would have a legit MOTO at 1B. Something we haven't had since Walsh went down.

I highly doubt we're in on Goldie but you never know.....

~ArkyAngelsFan~

2 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I don’t think we need this guy. 

I agree. Unless Rengifo is going to be used in a package for another pitcher, which again would be only a marginal upgrade. Im totally fine rotating between Moose, Drury and Rengifo for 3b, 2b and 1b. 

Keep upgrading the pen.

Yeah I can only assume if there’s real traction to acquire Candelario, it’s only because Rengifo is on the move for him + pitching help from the Nats, or pitching help elsewhere.

Even then, his hot hitting lately makes this seemingly DOA. Also seems like a real good clubhouse guy.

The cost to acquire Candelario can’t be too high, and if he adds depth and another offensive threat, then sure why not.  However if we are going to use our bullets the best I’d prefer we solve issues at catcher and bullpen.  I am guessing the Nats have a bullpen arm or two to extend the trade.

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

The cost to acquire Candelario can’t be too high, and if he adds depth and another offensive threat, then sure why not.  However if we are going to use our bullets the best I’d prefer we solve issues at catcher and bullpen.  I am guessing the Nats have a bullpen arm or two to extend the trade.

If Logan O'Hoppe is due back in a 2-3 weeks, I don't think they need to acquire a catcher if he can throw at 100% upon activation. 

Matt Thaiss has been holding his own. 

Either way, I'm stoked for the future of an O'Hoppe/Thaiss tandem behind the dish. 

3 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

If Logan O'Hoppe is due back in a 2-3 weeks, I don't think they need to acquire a catcher if he can throw at 100% upon activation. 

Either way, I'm stoked for the future of an O'Hoppe/Thaiss tandem behind the dish. 

I’m fairly certain it was his non throwing shoulder that was injured. Swinging a bat will be his biggest hurdle. 

27 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

My reasons for exploring a back-up catcher are not really for one major reason, just a bunch of minor reasons…

O’Hoppe returning is not yet guaranteed, nor is his health or effectiveness. He still hasn’t even broke 100 MLB PAs.

When O’Hoppe is activated, decent chance Wallach is waived and probably claimed, because…

Competing teams always need catcher depth this time of year, and the Yanks are down Trevino and Tampa is down Mejia. Nabbing someone now builds our depth and potential prevents them from adding to theirs (unless of course they claim Wallach), and by searching for a catcher now, they are at least affording themselves more time and a deeper pool to work from, as opposed late-September.

Thaiss is still relatively inexperienced, with less than 1k MLB innings behind the plate, and he has shouldered a ton of work this summer. Fatigue could be a thing. Between him and O’Hoppe, there isn’t a lot of experience there which could be crucial in playoff-level games. Thaiss could also stick on roster until they expand and replace Escobar’s 1B/3B at-bats (hopefully not many once Drury returns).

And last but not least, contingency. If anything happens to O’Hoppe, Thaiss, or Wallach (if we keep him), even Okey, the Angels could get stretched into using guys like Mulrine or Humphreys, even more critical post-Quero. Playoff run aside, the Angels are incredibly thin at a specialized position, where two of their guys cannot be optioned. Getting ahead of things like this now, even if they never come to fruition, avoids a really tough jam later - much like we saw in April when O’Hoppe went down and we were shitting bricks after seeing Thaiss’ first few games.

Long run? Helllllll yeah I’m stoked about Thaiss and O’Hoppe as our catcher tandem for a good 2-3 years. 

39 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

yea, I see it different with O’Hoppe and that is even if he comes back in 2-3 weeks, which I believe is being optimistic, he won’t be “up to game speed” right away.  I think we can upgrade Wallach, maybe even Thaiss.