• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels recall Jimmy Herget and Gerardo Reyes, option Zack Weiss, place Chris Devenski on IL

mmc

Somehow Herget managed to be effective last season through his dazzling deception and  erratic movement on his pitches. He reminds me of a knuckleball pitcher without a knuckleball! But without excellent control he's a batting practice pitcher. 

In theory if he can get ahead in counts, mix in a fastball over 90 mph and get chases he might not be any worse than most of the other bullpen rag arms. But this year he regressed badly from last season. 

11 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

They ought to find whoever was the pitching coach last year when the Angels ranked 9th in the majors in ERA (6th among starters). 

They were 22nd in ERA in 2021. And they are 23rd this year.

Over a three year sample, it’s clear that 2022 was an outlier.

7 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

OK, which do you think is more likely to vary from year to year: a pitcher's performance or a coach's ability?

But it’s not one pitcher’s performance vs. one coach’s ability.

It’s multiple pitcher’s performances vs. one coach’s ability.

And my point is that Wise probably got more credit than he deserved in 2022, because he’s the same coach that he was in 2021 when they weren’t good. And now we’re seeing the 2023 results look like the 2021 results.

50 minutes ago, Trendon said:

And my point is that Wise probably got more credit than he deserved in 2022

And my point is it doesn't matter who the pitching coach is. The players are responsible for themselves.

Everyone always seems to love blaming coaches, but what if a player pitched a bad game and afterward said: "I think it's the coach's fault that I wasn't good." I think everyone would rightly kill that guy for lack of accountability.

14 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

And my point is it doesn't matter who the pitching coach is. The players are responsible for themselves.

They are responsible for themselves, but the pitching coach clearly is supposed to bring something to the table. Otherwise, teams wouldn’t have a pitching coach.

What exactly does Wise bring to the table?

maybe I’ve missed them or forgotten them, but I don’t recall seeing a ton of pieces where a pitcher is crediting Wise for helping him with X this season.

I remember Suarez said something last year. But we know Wise couldn’t correct Detmers’ slider issue last year.

18 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Everyone always seems to love blaming coaches, but what if a player pitched a bad game and afterward said: "I think it's the coach's fault that I wasn't good." I think everyone would rightly kill that guy for lack of accountability.

So why have a coaching staff?

50 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

from what you've seen, can explain what kinds of things a pitching coach works on with his stable of pitchers? i don't feel like i understand very well just what he does or is supposed to do.

1 hour ago, Taylor said:

So why have a coaching staff?

Tradition. Logistics. Someone wearing a uniform has to take the analytical stuff to the players so they'll listen to it. 

If teams thought they were that important, they'd get paid more. But they don't because teams ultimately view them as easily replaceable. 

1 hour ago, Tank said:

from what you've seen, can explain what kinds of things a pitching coach works on with his stable of pitchers? i don't feel like i understand very well just what he does or is supposed to do.

These days I think it's mostly to be a bridge between the analytics people and the pitchers. They work with the guys in the bullpen on their pitch shapes. Find a way to put your fingers on the ball to impart a certain kind of spin. That sort of thing. 

5 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Tradition. Logistics. Someone wearing a uniform has to take the analytical stuff to the players so they'll listen to it. 

If teams thought they were that important, they'd get paid more. But they don't because teams ultimately view them as easily replaceable. 

Do you know if the pay is the same for coaches around the league?

Maybe the problem is teams like the Rays, Dodgers, and Astros pay their coaches well in order to attract the best coaches while the Angels don't pay their coaches well because they think they're "easily replaceable" when that's not the case.

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

Maybe the problem is teams like the Rays, Dodgers, and Astros pay their coaches well in order to attract the best coaches while the Angels don't pay their coaches well because they think they're "easily replaceable" when that's not the case.

I’d assume guys like Leo Mazzone, Mel Stottlemeyer, and a few others with great pitchers under their wings were probably paid pretty well.  Hell, Mike Maddox is probably paid handsomely also.

I don’t know what the going rate is for a tier 1 pitching coach, but I highly doubt the Angels pay that rate.

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

I think there are some minor differences in coach salaries but I’m really not sure. 

Teams like the Dodgers, Rays, Astros never seem to have “big name” coaches who you’ve heard of. 

I think those teams just have coaches who do exactly what the analytics people tell them. 

57 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I think there are some minor differences in coach salaries but I’m really not sure. 

Teams like the Dodgers, Rays, Astros never seem to have “big name” coaches who you’ve heard of. 

I think those teams just have coaches who do exactly what the analytics people tell them. 

Do Angels coaches do exactly what the analytics people tell them?

My guess would be no, but I could be wrong.