• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels select 1B Nolan Schanuel 11th overall in the 1st round of the 2023 MLB Draft

mmc

5 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

From @taylorblakeward in our recent article on Nolan. 

FIRST BASEMEN:

Nolan Schanuel, 1B/OF, Florida Atlantic: No one across Division-1 ball had an offensive year quite like Schanuel who led the nation in on-base percentage (.615) and walks (71) while finishing second in batting average by .002 (.447) and second in slugging (.868). Some questions arise about Schanuel's overall hit tool after a lackluster performance in the Cape Cod, but he's always shown patience and an ability to reach base. It may be approach-over-hit but there's enough confidence in Schanuel's offensive upside for an analytically minded club to take him upwards of the teen picks this year. Schanuel has a clean left-handed swing with strength behind the ball to have enough power to profile as a corner hitter, whether it be first base or the outfield. He's athletic enough to try left or right field with first base, looking like the ultimate outcome.

Good numbers..like the OBP and the walks

6 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

The Angels drafts under Miniasian seem to priortize guys who can make it on the big club in about 18-24 months. With that, i can see their position player picks to be guys who can fill a hole, like 3rd base and of'ers.  Pitching wise, they are probably going for best available in this draft. 

I agree and disagree. It depends upon where you are talking about in the draft. Once we know how much money we may have available from our bonus pool, we go after HS arms to offer them way over slot to sign. We tend to draft under slot guys in rounds 6 - 10 to help save up the money to take a swing at a Caden Dana or a Mason Albright. And that's a good thing,. It creates layers of players so that we always have fresh arms to promote. 

31 minutes ago, Dave Saltzer said:

I agree and disagree. It depends upon where you are talking about in the draft. Once we know how much money we may have available from our bonus pool, we go after HS arms to offer them way over slot to sign. We tend to draft under slot guys in rounds 6 - 10 to help save up the money to take a swing at a Caden Dana or a Mason Albright. And that's a good thing,. It creates layers of players so that we always have fresh arms to promote. 

Yeah, I meant early in the draft. Like the first 4 or 5 picks.

7 minutes ago, Revad said:

That’s good news!  Hopefully a sign that Minasain and co. are just plain good at this drafting business.

I would have to say that we've got a much better overall drafting process going and a better philosophy. We have layered our talent with fast moving college types and high upside HS arms,. Our international presence is much better. I was talking with several of our Latin guys yesterday at IE and we have good international talent in development. Besides Rada, keep on eye on these two pitchers that I saw last night were Joel Hurtado (FB sat 95-97, slider 81-84--his go to out pitch, change 79-81, only thrown a few times) and Jennry Gonzalez (profiles as a multi-inning reliever). 

29 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

About Schanuel or Scotty?

Schanuel is a high probability major leaguer. If there's a deficiency in ability, his being baseball, mine being an estimate of his abilities, it would be on my end. 

I'm not sure why I'm being painted in a more pessimistic tone here though. I think I predicted a .380 OBP and 25 HR's from him. Seems pretty rosy to me. 

I don't love the pick, but I don't hate it either. I think Schanuel is exactly what I expected the Angels to get, which is a collegiate infielder that would climb the ladder quickly. 

39 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Schanuel is a high probability major leaguer. If there's a deficiency in ability, his being baseball, mine being an estimate of his abilities, it would be on my end. 

I'm not sure why I'm being painted in a more pessimistic tone here though. I think I predicted a .380 OBP and 25 HR's from him. Seems pretty rosy to me. 

I don't love the pick, but I don't hate it either. I think Schanuel is exactly what I expected the Angels to get, which is a collegiate infielder that would climb the ladder quickly. 

Do you think they took the BPA with this pick?

30 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I don't think that you are being pessimistic at all. We all fall in love with different players in the draft (those of us who really follow it). You haven't been shy about who you've wanted, and I respect you a lot for putting predictions down for people to read. 

I haven't loved every one of our picks over the last decade or so, hence I wrote what my preferences are (I lean pitching first if equal or closely comparable, as pitching has more prospect capital. If Lowder or Dollander were available, I would have taken either. And, if the scouts thought that they could easily fix Waldrep, I would have taken him as well. 

While I preferred Schanuel because he could sign under slot and give us a shot at a player like Sykora in the third round, and maybe Grahovac in the 4th round (local kid out of Villa Park HS), I would have been happy with Shaw or Taylor, but I didn't think that either would go below slot, or if they did, not by much. That puts more risk in the draft, whereas spreading it around a bit more gives us a better shot at making the draft a success.

4 minutes ago, Dave Saltzer said:

I don't think that you are being pessimistic at all. We all fall in love with different players in the draft (those of us who really follow it). You haven't been shy about who you've wanted, and I respect you a lot for putting predictions down for people to read. 

I haven't loved every one of our picks over the last decade or so, hence I wrote what my preferences are (I lean pitching first if equal or closely comparable, as pitching has more prospect capital. If Lowder or Dollander were available, I would have taken either. And, if the scouts thought that they could easily fix Waldrep, I would have taken him as well. 

While I preferred Schanuel because he could sign under slot and give us a shot at a player like Sykora in the third round, and maybe Grahovac in the 4th round (local kid out of Villa Park HS), I would have been happy with Shaw or Taylor, but I didn't think that either would go below slot, or if they did, not by much. That puts more risk in the draft, whereas spreading it around a bit more gives us a better shot at making the draft a success.

Do you think they they selected the BPA with this pick?

2 minutes ago, REDneck said:

Do you think they they selected the BPA with this pick?

Yes, because he fits our timeline (a fast riser), provides the left handed MOTO bat that we need, and allows us to have money most likely to get plenty of other talent in later rounds. We didn't have a 2nd round pick, so we needed more of a sure thing with our first pick, and I believed Schanuel would be that guy. 

Since we have or will lose 1/3rd of our preseason Top-30 picks this year via promotions or trades (O'Hoppe, Neto, Silseth, Blakely--retired, Bachman, Joyce, Crow, Marceaux, Soriano, etc),, he immediately slides into the top 3 prospects in the system (I'd rank him 2nd, behind Quero and ahead of Bush). We needed as close to a sure thing to fit into our current wave of talent and to allow us to draft a younger wave to go with Madden, Dana, etc.

I fully admit to looking at the draft holistically to see how it all plays out. 

3 minutes ago, Dave Saltzer said:

Yes, because he fits our timeline (a fast riser), provides the left handed MOTO bat that we need, and allows us to have money most likely to get plenty of other talent in later rounds. We didn't have a 2nd round pick, so we needed more of a sure thing with our first pick, and I believed Schanuel would be that guy. 

Since we have or will lose 1/3rd of our preseason Top-30 picks this year via promotions or trades (O'Hoppe, Neto, Silseth, Blakely--retired, Bachman, Joyce, Crow, Marceaux, Soriano, etc),, he immediately slides into the top 3 prospects in the system (I'd rank him 2nd, behind Quero and ahead of Bush). We needed as close to a sure thing to fit into our current wave of talent and to allow us to draft a younger wave to go with Madden, Dana, etc.

I fully admit to looking at the draft holistically to see how it all plays out. 

I appreciate your response. Very well thought out.

Maybe I should rephrase the question. Was this the BPA or the BPA for the Angels. 

One in the same probably.

Thank you!

11 minutes ago, Dave Saltzer said:

Werner Blakely retired?! Please say it ain't so.