• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels select 1B Nolan Schanuel 11th overall in the 1st round of the 2023 MLB Draft

mmc

3 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Trout was ranked around 50 in the prep rankings for 2009. 

No he wasn't... here's a couple quick google search of mock drafts from 2009

http://projectprospect.com/article/2009/05/24/2009-mlb-mock-draft/

projected to be picked 16th here

https://baseballdraftreport.com/2009/06/05/mock-draft-3-0/

projected to be picked 20th here

http://www.mymlbdraft.com/MLB-Mock-Draft-2009

projected to be picked 26th here

I'm torn on this pick. Definitely need to fill 1B. This dude should be ready to contribute fairly soon. However, if he doesn't have a great/elite bat at the MLB level then this is a bust pick.

Solid hitting 1B are a dime a dozen so using a first round pick on one is a huge gamble unless you're positive his bat will be top of the lineup.

Or to put it another way, I think he IS high ceiling...as a hitter. But draft picks don't get called "high ceiling" unless they play premium defensive positions or are pitchers. When was the last time a 1B or corner outfielder was tracked in the top 5? (I'll research and check back)

He has the potential, it seems, to be a special hitter with great plate discipline and some pop. Maybe even a Freddie Freeman type. 

22 minutes ago, Deek said:

Under valued bat at a position of need from a mid-major…. 

Sounds familiar… (see: Z. Neto)…

Wasn’t my first choice…. But Minisian has proven an ability to find value… and save $ for high-risk picks later…

This. You can’t build a productive farm system based on only college players. They should end up with extra slot money, allowing them to sign some high school talent. 

This is what you have to do in building a well rounded farm system.  

13 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Or to put it another way, I think he IS high ceiling...as a hitter. But draft picks don't get called "high ceiling" unless they play premium defensive positions or are pitchers. When was the last time a 1B or corner outfielder was tracked in the top 5? (I'll research and check back)

He has the potential, it seems, to be a special hitter with great plate discipline and some pop. Maybe even a Freddie Freeman type. 

I agree with this take. He has a high ceiling bat, which is pretty much a requirement for taking a 1B in the top half of the first round.

That said he does give me Matt Thaiss vibes, without the catching and a bit better hit tool.

I wouldn't draft a first baseman in the first round unless he was TRULY something special with the bat. I thought Vaughn was, turns out I was wrong. I don't know enough about Schanuel to say one easy or the other. He's got better size and strength than Vaughn, Vaughn showed better bat speed and exit velos in college. Both walked a lot, but Schanuel a little more and with better contact. 

Vaughn never had time to develop because of the shutdown, and Schanuel is similarly looking at a short voyage to the majors. 

Ultimately, I think Vaughn ends up being a .270 25 HR hitter, as the end product. Schanuel, I'm thinking is going to be slightly better, at .280 and 25 HR. The difference here is that Vaughn hasn't been able to reach base in the majors. I think Schanuel will. 

Edited by Second Base

I'm liking this pick. 1B is a position of need, he should move through the system very quickly. If he shows the same kind of power, hit tool and discipline in Huntsville next year, we'll see him in 2024 and for many years beyond that.