• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels select 1B Nolan Schanuel 11th overall in the 1st round of the 2023 MLB Draft

mmc

41 minutes ago, AngelsFanSince86 said:

I'm torn on this pick. Definitely need to fill 1B. This dude should be ready to contribute fairly soon. However, if he doesn't have a great/elite bat at the MLB level then this is a bust pick.

Solid hitting 1B are a dime a dozen so using a first round pick on one is a huge gamble unless you're positive his bat will be top of the lineup.

We only had a nickel this year. 

16 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

The dude is gonna hit for average and get on base.  Hopefully the power translates.  If not then a bunch of doubles and line drives with a high barrel rate and a .380 obp.  I actually do like the Freeman comp for his ceiling.  

Good potential comp. 

Freedie Freeman was one of those who they said the power would develop later, and in both of his full minor league seasons he never hit more than 18 HR. 

He didn't really have a breakout season power wise until 2016 when he clubbed 34 dingers. 

1 minute ago, Warfarin said:

As others have referenced on here, this likely will need to be looked at through the lens of an entire draft.  This is rather clearly an underslot situation, which means the FO in turn will have more money to spend in later rounds, which means they can "take a shot" on guys later in the draft as well.  

Tomorrow is going to be fun.  Kind of a let down only having one pick today but it seems like an interesting first puzzle piece.  

6 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

As others have referenced on here, this likely will need to be looked at through the lens of an entire draft.  This is rather clearly an underslot situation, which means the FO in turn will have more money to spend in later rounds, which means they can "take a shot" on guys later in the draft as well.  

Looking to draft another Caden Dana from HS?

3 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Looking to draft another Caden Dana from HS?

Perhaps.  But they will clearly have a surplus of money to use in subsequent rounds, so they can use that surplus to take calculated shots.

I think that Nolan is a high probability MLB player who will likely reach the MLB rather quickly (a la Neto), but I think this pick was also about having money available for future rounds as well.

Baseball draft seems to be more of an inexact science than other pro sports.  I used to have high expectations of 1st round picks but as the Angels (and other teams) have demonstrated, there are usually more misses than hits...  Still have a newish regime, a new-ish  scouting staff & talent evaluation leadership, so im willing to let them show me that they can get it right....  but the Angels have one of the lowest rated minors talent pool for a reason.  Partially due to them coughing-up draft picks due to signing regrettable FA's, but also due to missteps in talent evaluation, player development and this strategy of willfully leaving higher ceiling players on the draft board in hopes of attracting meaningful talent in later rounds. ... Hopefully this kid works out, because drafting in the 10-15 range should yield you a future impact starter. 

40 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I wouldn't draft a first baseman in the first round unless he was TRULY something special with the bat. I thought Vaughn was, turns out I was wrong. I don't know enough about Schanuel to say one easy or the other. He's got better size and strength than Vaughn, Vaughn showed better bat speed and exit velos in college. Both walked a lot, but Schanuel a little more and with better contact. 

Vaughn never had time to develop because of the shutdown, and Schanuel is similarly looking at a short voyage to the majors. 

Ultimately, I think Vaughn ends up being a .270 25 HR hitter, as the end product. Schanuel, I'm thinking is going to be slightly better, at .280 and 25 HR. The difference here is that Vaughn hasn't been able to reach base in the majors. I think Schanuel will. 

We have to see this as drafting a special bat whoi happens to play 1B and can get to the Majors quickly. I agree that he could be a 280 hitter, but his OB should be higher, and 25+ HRs at his peak. We need a lefty MOTO bat like that.

Again, we also have to look at it holistically. There will be many good players in the 3rd, 4th, 11th, and 12th rounds for us to sign. If you like Ben Joyce, thank Zach Neto for signing under slot so that we could go over slot for Joyce. 

Thinking of our 2022 draft, that draft may go down as one of our best overall drafts. Jake Madden and some of the other guys we got look really good.

2 minutes ago, Dave Saltzer said:

Thinking of our 2022 draft, that draft may go down as one of our best overall drafts. Jake Madden and some of the other guys we got look really good.

That’s good news!  Hopefully a sign that Minasain and co. are just plain good at this drafting business.

2 minutes ago, Dave Saltzer said:

We have to see this as drafting a special bat whoi happens to play 1B and can get to the Majors quickly. I agree that he could be a 280 hitter, but his OB should be higher, and 25+ HRs at his peak. We need a lefty MOTO bat like that.

Again, we also have to look at it holistically. There will be many good players in the 3rd, 4th, 11th, and 12th rounds for us to sign. If you like Ben Joyce, thank Zach Neto for signing under slot so that we could go over slot for Joyce. 

I think, so far, Minasian seems to be pretty good at building the organization on the whole.  I know people are generally disappointed that this team didn't become a contender overnight, and likely Ohtani will be departing, but it seems that our minor league system has grown considerably more under Minasian than it has under his predecessors, and I think he (and the development team he has in place) has a pretty good eye for talent and developing players.  

We'll see how the rest of the draft pans out, but I agree that the 2022 draft seems to have been a rather good one thus far.

I find it likely that Schanuel will require a significant under slot bonus. Most projections had him going around pick 20 or 25. At pick 11, the expected bonus is 5.25 million. Where he was expected to go was around 3.25 million. 

The Angels 3rd round pick is around 900k. 

My guess is that Schanuel will sign for around 4 million and they'll try to sign a Walker Martin type that isn't being drafted as high because he's a strong college commitment, for 2.5-3 million. 

The Angels drafts under Miniasian seem to priortize guys who can make it on the big club in about 18-24 months. With that, i can see their position player picks to be guys who can fill a hole, like 3rd base and of'ers.  Pitching wise, they are probably going for best available in this draft. 

From @taylorblakeward in our recent article on Nolan. 

FIRST BASEMEN:

Nolan Schanuel, 1B/OF, Florida Atlantic: No one across Division-1 ball had an offensive year quite like Schanuel who led the nation in on-base percentage (.615) and walks (71) while finishing second in batting average by .002 (.447) and second in slugging (.868). Some questions arise about Schanuel's overall hit tool after a lackluster performance in the Cape Cod, but he's always shown patience and an ability to reach base. It may be approach-over-hit but there's enough confidence in Schanuel's offensive upside for an analytically minded club to take him upwards of the teen picks this year. Schanuel has a clean left-handed swing with strength behind the ball to have enough power to profile as a corner hitter, whether it be first base or the outfield. He's athletic enough to try left or right field with first base, looking like the ultimate outcome.