• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Hypothetical "Make Your Pitch to Ohtani" Thread

10 hours ago, Stradling said:

If he signs with Seattle then he’s dead to me. 

Felt weird seeing him in Seattle's colors at the all-star game.

But honestly, he's the only guy I can think of that I don't care who he plays for.

I don't want him to be a dodger. Or a red sock. Or a mariner.

... Or a pirate. Or a brave. Etc etc

But he came here for a great deal (financially) for the org. He changed the world. 

We failed to compel him to stay (if he goes). It's on us, not him.

Of Seattle is his choice, I can't be mad at him.

On 7/8/2023 at 6:40 PM, Stradling said:

No I get that, but it felt like someone was saying this could have long term ramifications.  I didn’t know that was the case, so I guess I am asking is if this is something that even after surgery, could affect him in the future.  

Guys coming back from hamate injuries tend to see power drop-offs initially.   So get ready for more "decline" talk once that happens.

I'm good with a Trade to Seattle! This probably doesn't equate value wise. I'm just looking at comparable at position in the lineup and rotation (#1 SP & MOB + middle rotation starter)

M's get: Ohtani & Sandoval 

Halos get: CF- Rodriguez, SP - Kirby and SP - Bryce Miller.

But, I would hate to Trade him in the Division...That's why I just don't see a trade coming.

10 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

I'm good with a Trade to Seattle! This probably doesn't equate value wise. I'm just looking at comparable at position in the lineup and rotation (#1 SP & MOB + middle rotation starter)

M's get: Ohtani & Sandoval 

Halos get: CF- Rodriguez, SP - Kirby and SP - Bryce Miller.

But, I would hate to Trade him in the Division...That's why I just don't see a trade coming.

They wouldn't trade Ohtani for Jrod straight up

Not sure why he would pick Seattle...(Unless he really loves the city) it's not like they make the playoffs very often.  You can't assume a team will always be a contender because they made the playoffs last year. I think we still have a chance if we become the competitive team we were earlier this year before the injuries. Yeah I know it is a big IF. 

2 minutes ago, Palomar said:

Not sure why he would pick Seattle...(Unless he really loves the city) it's not like they make the playoffs very often.  You can't assume a team will always be a contender because they made the playoffs last year. I think we still have a chance if we become the competitive team we were earlier this year before the injuries. Yeah I know it is a big IF. 

Seattle with a great rotation with addition of Ohtani. His bat in lineup would also be big help. I feel Seattle is team on the rise.

4 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Seattle with a great rotation with addition of Ohtani. His bat in lineup would also be big help. I feel Seattle is team on the rise.

We've been hearing about Seattle being a team on the rise for a long time.  J-Rod is not yet duplicating his rookie year.  Still a gamble of being a contender. 

On 7/8/2023 at 10:01 AM, Junkballer said:

I would think that any Angels offer would have to come with a detailed outline of how they will be spending in the upcoming years.  There will have to be some guarantees that they will go past the luxury threshold in order to build a legitimate roster along with creating depth that doesn't require utilizing farm capital.  Barring such a commitment to going over the threshold to "get over the top" why wouldn't Ohtani see any offer as asking him to sign in blind faith that things will be different.

This. 

I think our best pitch is to explain to him a commitment to spend a certain amount irrespective of what we offer him. 

Imagine committing to a payroll of $230 million + whatever we pay him, say $50 million/year, for a minimum payroll of $280 million. Additionally, opt outs every other year and a commitment for him and Trout to be a very integral part in designing the future of the team and who to target in FA. 

3 hours ago, Dave Saltzer said:

This. 

I think our best pitch is to explain to him a commitment to spend a certain amount irrespective of what we offer him. 

Imagine committing to a payroll of $230 million + whatever we pay him, say $50 million/year, for a minimum payroll of $280 million. Additionally, opt outs every other year and a commitment for him and Trout to be a very integral part in designing the future of the team and who to target in FA. 

That would be hard to refuse, especially if he’d like to stay but winning is more important.  I’m sure he will want assurances from any team he signs with.

4 hours ago, Dave Saltzer said:

This. 

This is where I am at also. If we offer him a deal with multiple opt outs he won't feel trapped in a long term contract with no way out. Somewhere I heard that Arte is loathe to include player option opt outs and the like but it's time for him to get over it.

By any metric he has been a lousy owner and he's going to have to do some things he's not comfortable with to be successful going forward.

~ArkyAngelsFan~

4 hours ago, Dave Saltzer said:

This. 

16 minutes ago, ArkyAngelsFan said:

This is where I am at also. If we offer him a deal with multiple opt outs he won't feel trapped in a long term contract with no way out. Somewhere I heard that Arte is loathe to include player option opt outs and the like but it's time for him to get over it.

By any metric he has been a lousy owner and he's going to have to do some things he's not comfortable with to be successful going forward.

~ArkyAngelsFan~

From a business standpoint, it doesn't really make sense for a team to both commit to some sort of higher spending floor AND give someone like Ohtani multiple opt-outs every couple years.  What happens if you do that, sign Ohtani, and sign another couple guys to 5+-year deals, then Ohtani bolts after two years? You're stuck with a potentially bloated payroll, an aging Trout and Rendon, and you're missing the centerpiece of the entire financial structure of your team.  I think it's highly unlikely the Angels would agree to something like this. 

On 7/12/2023 at 4:39 PM, Palomar said:

Could've said that about the Angels back in December 2017, or after this season.

16 hours ago, m0nkey said:

Could've said that about the Angels back in December 2017, or after this season.

Just saying there are other teams who have better chances of making the playoffs every year than Seattle IF that was the biggest thing behind his decision.  If that is the only consideration he has (and I don't think it is) we are toast (at this time at least).  Hopefully we can step it up and get out of this funk.

29 minutes ago, Palomar said:

Just saying there are other teams who have better chances of making the playoffs every year than Seattle IF that was the biggest thing behind his decision.  If that is the only consideration he has (and I don't think it is) we are toast (at this time at least).  Hopefully we can step it up and get out of this funk.

Seattle has improved and starting rotation is very strong. You add Ohtani with Castillo, Gilbert, Kirby. Robbie Ray coming back in a year. Put Ohtani's bat in their lineup be huge for Seattle. Who really knows where he will end up, but Seattle I feel will be in hunt.

• 4 weeks later...