• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Hypothetical "Make Your Pitch to Ohtani" Thread

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

I think we overstate what we have in Moniak in the Syndergaard trade.  Sure we “won” the trade, but Moniak has played well in his role.  We got a strong side platoon guy that will be very batting average and power dependent.  He can’t hit lefties and he strikes out 12-13 times for every time he walks.  His slumps when they happen will be horrible.  

So when we try to look at what we got for Syndergaard, we got a 25 year old, former #1 overall pick that plays good defense and was hitting .129 in his major league career.  

A 25-year-old who is finally getting some regular playing time. He is young and has been clutch. Give me some young hungry players. No more high priced FA.

3 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

A 25-year-old who is finally getting some regular playing time. He is young and has been clutch. Give me some young hungry players. No more high priced FA.

Give me players that don’t strike out 13 times for every walk. 

4 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I'm saving my comments for the podcast, but check out Victor Rojas' take on this. Especially check out the comments and subtweets taking what he said out of context too. Nuts.

This is a very good perspective.  I do think though if the Angels make Ohtani available by trade, they'll like get the value that Rojas is referring to.  While this seems far fetched, perhaps the best version of this whole saga would be to essentially do with Ohtani what the Yankees did with Chapman and the Cubs years ago - trade Ohtani to a team, get a huge bounty in return, then re-sign him in the offseason, so you not only get to keep Ohtani long-term, but you also get several top 100 prospects to go along with it.

I don't think that is a likely scenario at all, but that'd be pretty cool to see, all things considered.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Is a hamate bone break a serious injury?  

Yes, it required surgery, a post operative cast and 6-8 weeks before Trout can return to the field. This isn't a rub some dirt on it injury so don't and try and minimize it. 

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

I think we overstate what we have in Moniak in the Syndergaard trade.  Sure we “won” the trade, but Moniak has played well in his role.  We got a strong side platoon guy that will be very batting average and power dependent.  He can’t hit lefties and he strikes out 12-13 times for every time he walks.  His slumps when they happen will be horrible.  

So when we try to look at what we got for Syndergaard, we got a 25 year old, former #1 overall pick that plays good defense and was hitting .129 in his major league career.  

I do think what I like about the Syndergaard / Moniak trade is that I think Minasian has a fairly good eye in terms of finding value.  Moniak will not be a star, but I do think he has improved in the time he's been with our organization and has become a rather useful role player.  A strong side platoon guy is a useful piece.  His BABIP suggests that what we have seen is unsustainable (as well as the poor BB/K ratio that you have referenced), but I do think Minasian has done a good job of finding useful complementary players to help "raise the floor" for our team, so to speak.

25 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Yes, it required surgery, a post operative cast and 6-8 weeks before Trout can return to the field. This isn't a rub some dirt on it injury so don't and try and minimize it. 

No I get that, but it felt like someone was saying this could have long term ramifications.  I didn’t know that was the case, so I guess I am asking is if this is something that even after surgery, could affect him in the future.  

24 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I do think what I like about the Syndergaard / Moniak trade is that I think Minasian has a fairly good eye in terms of finding value.  Moniak will not be a star, but I do think he has improved in the time he's been with our organization and has become a rather useful role player.  A strong side platoon guy is a useful piece.  His BABIP suggests that what we have seen is unsustainable (as well as the poor BB/K ratio that you have referenced), but I do think Minasian has done a good job of finding useful complementary players to help "raise the floor" for our team, so to speak.

I agree with everything you said.  

6 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I'm saving my comments for the podcast, but check out Victor Rojas' take on this. Especially check out the comments and subtweets taking what he said out of context too. Nuts.

Interested in hearing how you three would try and sell Ohtani on the positives of re-signing here in the middle of this disaster stretch

Don’t Let It End, Performed by Styx, Written by Dennis DeYoung

What can I do
Pictures of you still make me cry
Trying to live without your love
It's so hard to do
Some nights I'll wake up
I'll look at your pillow
Hoping that I'll see you there
But I get up each day, not much to say
I've nowhere to go
Loneliness fills me up inside
'Cause I'm missing you
So if you'll give us a chance to remember
The love we had once together
Wait and see, time is all that we really need
I'm praying you won't say no
I mean to tell you
Don't let it end
Baby we could have so much more
Don't let it end
Honey please don't walk out that door
I'm telling you baby, I made my mistakes
But I'll make you this promise to do what it takes
I'll be there to protect you and hold you tight
You got my lovin' baby every single night
Don't let it end
I'm begging you, don't let it end this way
Don't let it end
I'm begging you, don't let it end this way
Don't let it end
Baby we could have so much more
Don't let it end
Honey please don't walk out that door
Don't let it end
I'm begging you don't let it end this way
Don't let it end
I'm begging you don't let it end this way, no, no, no
No, no, no
What will I do
If you say we're through
I need you to stay, honey
Don't let it end this way

3 minutes ago, Lhalo said:

I wonder if Arte’s staff has done a cost analysis and has determined it’s more profitable to receive the ad revenue from Nippon for the rest of the season instead of trading Ohtani for cash and prospects. It wouldn’t surprise me. 

You don’t think that advertising deals are for the season? I can’t imagine they aren’t. 

i approach ohtani with two ideas: how much money do you want? here's a blank check and you just write in the number and years, and it's a done deal. to me, this would be the easier part of the negotiation.

second, what do i need to do to the team to keep you here? personnel needs? new manager? bring in the fences? what will it take to keep you here? 

6 hours ago, Stradling said:

No I get that, but it felt like someone was saying this could have long term ramifications.  I didn’t know that was the case, so I guess I am asking is if this is something that even after surgery, could affect him in the future.  

I don't think so. Wrist injuries usually heal well. I don't see it as something that torpedoes the rest of Trout's career.

Seattle doesn't strike me as the type of team to throw a $500M+ deal out there, but with their Japanese ties and him being literally a once in a lifetime player who knows.

He also said he wants to play for a winning franchise, and Seattle historically isn't that.  I can't imagine the Dodgers not matching anything Seattle would throw out there, and are a much more desirable franchise to play for if he wants to stick on the west coast.