• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Hypothetical "Make Your Pitch to Ohtani" Thread

If you're Perry/Arte/other decision makers, what are you telling Ohtani in trying to convince him to stay this offseason? 

Assume that Arte is willing to match or be in the same ball park as all the other suitors (Dodgers, Padres, Mets, Yankees, etc.), and even make believe that the Angels sneak into the playoffs this year, what is there to sell him on other than the familiarity of Orange County?

It’s really just a matter of whether he believes in the group of young guys and the organization.  Who can say.  He’s in the organization.  So he has thoughts obviously.  What else can the Angels tell him?  I don’t think he’s coming back and I wonder how badly the Angels are trying.  

If I was Arte or Perry.. I'd be blunt with him. Are you willing to be traded at the deadline but you'll secretly commit to re-signing with us over the off-season? This allows Trout, O'Hoppe, Neto, etc to get healthy. Oh and Rendon too (they all pause and laugh). Then with the pieces we have added from trading you, are you willing to come back and take us over the top? And hopefully you return to us with a ring as well.

Then you offer him 675 million over 12 years with a No Movement Clause.

Damn it, I just woke up.

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Then he decides if he wants to be an Angel or a Dodger. 

I’m going to explain these franchises to you with In-N-Out terms so you understand.

What the Dodgers do is methodically expand their franchise while meticulously picking out their lettuce and tomatoes from the freshest farms to be sure they ripen well and produce results. The beef stock may be picked from afar but it is raised locally and the stats prove that.

What the Angels do is grind up the left over dogshit meat with a bunch of salt a la McDonald’s. It has a shelf life of over 800 years but the cancer will kill you in 4 months. Sure it tastes good on the way down but you will shit fire. 

It has been this way for decades. 

9 minutes ago, Lhalo said:

I’m going to explain these franchises to you with In-N-Out terms so you understand.

What the Dodgers do is methodically expand their franchise while meticulously picking out their lettuce and tomatoes from the freshest farms to be sure they ripen well and produce results. The beef stock may be picked from afar but it is raised locally and the stats prove that.

What the Angels do is grind up the left over dogshit meat with a bunch of salt a la McDonald’s. It has a shelf life of over 800 years but the cancer will kill you in 4 months. Sure it tastes good on the way down but you will shit fire. 

It has been this way for decades. 

Ok. 

I don’t have anything against Strad personally but it’s odd how he consistently defends a losing franchise along with a losing ownership. We’re all Angels fans here and some of us know people in the organization personally but holyshit this franchise is the laughingstock of the American League. The owner has consistently thrown good money after bad and the upper management has yet to prove anything. 

Let us not forget Arte’s fake sale of the team and the investigation by the Feds with the Anaheim mayor. I just can’t help but laugh at your constant defending of this org Stradling. Whatever floats your boat I guess…

2 minutes ago, Lhalo said:

I don’t have anything against Strad personally but it’s odd how he consistently defends a losing franchise along with a losing ownership. We’re all Angels fans here and some of us know people in the organization personally but holyshit this franchise is the laughingstock of the American League. The owner has consistently thrown good money after bad and the upper management has yet to prove anything. 

Let us not forget Arte’s fake sale of the team and the investigation by the Feds with the Anaheim mayor. I just can’t help but laugh at your constant defending of this org Stradling. Whatever floats your boat I guess…

I just don’t play the victim like so many others. I haven’t defended the organization in quite awhile I simply don’t come on here and rail on them like you and others. So since my posting habits don’t align with yours I’m defending Arte. I’ll openly admit I think blaming everything on Arte is lazy. At some point it’s on the GM or the players and the manager. I like Perry and what’s he’s done. I like that Arte let’s him do his job.  

6 minutes ago, Lhalo said:

So this is the shit I’m talking about. So the mayor fucks up and you blame Arte. If Arte was guilty of something his ass would have gone down. He’s a much bigger name than the mayor. He was investigated because of the actions of Sindu. But since you hate Arte (all of us do) you choose to create reasons to hate him instead of hating him for what he’s actually done, which is be an awful owner. With his track record there’s zero reason to play make believe. 

Strad uses common sense. He doesn't act like he's bipolar, unlike some people here. I appreciate his views. It helps balance out the constant whining in here. So many in here act like victims and he doesn't play that game. He knows the franchise has failed miserably for several years now, but doesn't let it impact his being a fan to the point where he is miserable. I get that. I support that.

56 minutes ago, T.G. said:

Strad uses common sense. He doesn't act like he's bipolar, unlike some people here. I appreciate his views. It helps balance out the constant whining in here. So many in here act like victims and he doesn't play that game. He knows the franchise has failed miserably for several years now, but doesn't let it impact his being a fan to the point where he is miserable. I get that. I support that.

I understand that point of view and respect it but I don’t feel the same way. This franchise has been on a downward spiral ever since Moreno purchased it. He thinned out the scouting department (particularly in Latin America) and used his influence as owner to sign expensive has beens and never will bees that handcuff the franchise from making any sensible moves to put the team in playoff contention. If I sound like a whiney bitch it’s because this has been going on for just about 20 years. 

2611C6B2-5A57-4AE2-A6C7-93A50D8611BB.png

8 hours ago, Stradling said:

I just don’t play the victim like so many others. I haven’t defended the organization in quite awhile I simply don’t come on here and rail on them like you and others. So since my posting habits don’t align with yours I’m defending Arte. I’ll openly admit I think blaming everything on Arte is lazy. At some point it’s on the GM or the players and the manager. I like Perry and what’s he’s done. I like that Arte let’s him do his job.  

I will say that Minasian (bringing Tamin with him) may well be the first decent  GM hiring that Moreno made.   

Eppler had it easy with NYY, money to burn.

The Braves haven’t signed many big money FAs in recent years, really just Matt Olson.    They had to build their org the right way.

10 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

It’s really just a matter of whether he believes in the group of young guys and the organization.  Who can say.  He’s in the organization.  So he has thoughts obviously.  What else can the Angels tell him?  I don’t think he’s coming back and I wonder how badly the Angels are trying.  

This.

Have the Angels already made an offer? If Ohtani loves Anaheim and the team why hasn't he already signed an extension? If his intention is to stay in Anaheim why would he test FA? To drive the price up?

It's possible that Arte has already given up on Ohtani and is just milking the last few months of whatever marketing benefits he gets from having him on the team. If Ohtani makes a serious run at 60 HR  and/or the MVP it will be a big story and the Angels will be a part of it, assuming he isn't traded.

Ohtani is a different cat -- as evidence by him signing with the Angels in the first place.  But let's be honest, would you sign on with the Angels if you were him?  Maybe if Arte had indeed sold this team like he should have and you believed in the new ownership group.  But with Arte, the Angels Organization has been a complete mess the past 10 years.  If Ohtani stays on, then nobody should feel sorry for him not playing in the playoffs and meaningful games.  Not that you should feel sorry for a horribly rich athlete that has more money than you could dream to ever spend in a few lifetimes.