• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ghost Runner

Hubs

So the debacle on Saturday made me shake my head. And whether it was a double play or not, it is irrelevant to the ending, and the cause.

The ghost runner sucks. It's borderline terrible, and as I mentioned on twitter the night of, it's the worst rule in all of professional sports. 

I'd honestly prefer ties.

The ghost runner gives the advantage to the visiting team, but as we've seen, the Angels have terrible luck, both home and away with this rule. And not just this season, this has been the case for multiple years. I have no idea how to look up the extra inning stats, but I bet its something like a .250 winning percentage in extras the last four seasons (2020-2023).

That being said, what's the best strategy for defending the ghost runner? Going after the hitter doesn't seem to be working, and so I have a solution.

Walk the first batter. Set up a double play, set up the force play at third.

They may counter by attempting to bunt them over, but that isn't always guaranteed to work. Sac flies to the outfield probably don't bring them over, and if you get a double play, the sacrifice is off the table. If you allow a hit with runners on, it doesn't really matter if there is a runner on first, as losing by one run or two (or four) is irrelevant. You still lost.

They need to try something different than they have been--- thats for sure.

Dude you are a rocket scientist, so explain how it benefits the visiting team. I realize that is what has happened, but how or why?  Just because the results are one way doesn’t mean it is advantageous.  Is the advantage because the visiting team, if they score, can bring in their closer?  If so, then the home team can start the 10th with their closer.  As the home team, you know what you have to do based on whether it is tied or you are chasing a run or two.  But if you hold them scoreless, then you know that one run wins it and that run is on 2nd base.

17 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I hate the free runner (not a ghost runner) but I would hate ties more.  Blame the players, they voted for this. 

I am glad you said what I was thinking.  A ghost runner would be we all pretend there is a runner on second.

Anybody else remember arguing with friends as kids playing whiffle ball over whether the ghost runner scores from second on a single, or if they have to be forced in?

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Don’t like the shootout in hockey and don’t like the free runner in MLB.

Of course, I’m a purist who doesn’t like gimmicks deciding games.

The shootout just screams minor league to me. So does the runner on second in extra innings.

I saw a .484 vs. .514 pct by the home team, but maybe that was just the 10th inning. 

Anyway, I am not a rocket scientist, but I do wonder what the Angels record is. I used to be like, hey we got this, if they tie and go to extras, and now I assume were gonna lose. It's like someone said its because they aren't manufacturing runs and it's not good bullpen management.

I'm not opposed to the ghost runner, but I also don't love it's immediate implementation. I think a better arrangement might be...

10th inning: No changes.

11th inning: GR on first base 

12th inning: GR on second.

13th inning: GR on third.

14th inning: GR on first and third. 

15th inning: GR on second and third.

16th inning and on: Bases loaded nobody out. 

------------I honestly don't anticipate too many games going past the 13th inning. It accomplished the goal of shortening games while also giving the game the opportunity to conclude naturally first. 

26 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I'm not opposed to the ghost runner, but I also don't love it's immediate implementation. I think a better arrangement might be...

10th inning: No changes.

11th inning: GR on first base 

12th inning: GR on second.

13th inning: GR on third.

14th inning: GR on first and third. 

15th inning: GR on second and third.

16th inning and on: Bases loaded nobody out. 

------------I honestly don't anticipate too many games going past the 13th inning. It accomplished the goal of shortening games while also giving the game the opportunity to conclude naturally first. 

The pitch clock keeps them short. The number of games over 3 hours has significantly declined, and the number of games over 4 hours is virtually non-existent. It's not needed. That being said I do like your idea, but I would say 10th & 11th no changes, 12th runner on first, 13th runner on second, etc.

6 hours ago, Hubs said:

The pitch clock keeps them short. The number of games over 3 hours has significantly declined, and the number of games over 4 hours is virtually non-existent. It's not needed. That being said I do like your idea, but I would say 10th & 11th no changes, 12th runner on first, 13th runner on second, etc.

The rule was NOT created to shorten games. 

It was created to minimize the times that teams had to run through their pitching staff and make a bunch of transactions. They were trying to minimize all transactions when they were keeping players in a bubble. Then they just kept it because the players and teams liked it.