• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jaime Barria will start tomorrow

mmc

2 hours ago, Hubs said:

No they didn't. Arte could've added those guys with Iglesias's contract on the books. 7-8-9 of Estevez, Moore, Iglesias looks better than what they have now.

And Iglesias being on the IL this year is meh, he had a 0.34 ERA down the stretch.

If they were going to trade him, they could've gotten far more. Dodgers needed a closer down the stretch, Kimbrel was awful, could've gotten someone better than Davidson from them, but Perry likes his guys from the Atlanta org.

If you were a general manager and you had offers on the table would you take the best offer or one that’s worse than the best offer?  

3 hours ago, Hubs said:

No they didn't. Arte could've added those guys with Iglesias's contract on the books. 7-8-9 of Estevez, Moore, Iglesias looks better than what they have now.

And Iglesias being on the IL this year is meh, he had a 0.34 ERA down the stretch.

If they were going to trade him, they could've gotten far more. Dodgers needed a closer down the stretch, Kimbrel was awful, could've gotten someone better than Davidson from them, but Perry likes his guys from the Atlanta org.

Arte does not like to go over lux tax. The time of trade Arte was thinking of selling team. Arte does not like trading with Dodgers. Moniak trade was a great deal right. 

3 hours ago, Hubs said:

This is crap lol, not only do you have no way of knowing this, and it's asinine to suggest a GM would take less than they could've gotten, but with the Dodgers cutting back on spending last offseason, why do you think they'd have any interest in that contract?

37 minutes ago, mmc said:

This is crap lol, not only do you have no way of knowing this, and it's asinine to suggest a GM would take less than they could've gotten, but with the Dodgers cutting back on spending last offseason, why do you think they'd have any interest in that contract?

MMC, your tone sucks. This is the second time, please be a little nicer...if you disagree thats fine, but no need for attacks.

It's my opinion, that's all. Like every post on this board. 

We don't know if the Dodgers offered, we don't know that the Angels took the best deal they could've made in terms of prospects is what they did. We know they surrendered the entire salary and that was clearly the mandate as they took less in order for the Phillies to take on Syndergaard, because that was stated by Dombrowski. 

The Dodgers needed a closer to win in the playoffs, Kimbrel was terrible, and they may have asked the Angels to pay some of the future salary, but they may have traded back a significantly better pitcher. 

You can keep juggling Perry's balls if you want, but so far his tenure as GM has been meh.

• 2 weeks later...

image.png

This seems to be pretty good. 

He's still getting a little lucky, but, I think he's found the ability to be a consistent midpoint from what he was when he first came up and what he is today. Has all the makings of a guy who can give you a solid 3.50 ERA and a lot of innings, and hope he's in the rotation for the remainder of the year. I don't think he'll ever really dominate, or maintain what he's been doing, and I wouldn't be surprised if he still gets shelled once in a while, but, he doesn't seem to be prone to the same big inning problems (either by allowing runs, or allowing too many runners, or driving up pitch counts) that Sandoval, Detmers, and Anderson have suffered from. Even Ohtani to a degree. He's been quite dependable.

You still have to remeber he's probably building up stamina to get that pitch count up. One thing I've seen, is that is stuff seems to have improved from his first season.

FB has been in 90- 95 range constantly. he's averaging 93 this season. Like I said previously it'll be interesting to see if he can hold it up.

Slider and change, Now these are the two pitches that I've been impressed with the most! when there on both look like plus pitches and at worst above-average. 

Barria was allways a 4/5 in our books as a prospect, while a few saw #3 upside. I truly do think if he's able to maintain his stuff your looking more of # 3 upside! 

Once upon a time I went back through his game logs, and found that he delivered something like a 5 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, 3 K, 2 HR type game something like 85% of the time. It was never really dominant, he didn't strike a lot of guys out, he rarely didn't allow a couple runs, but it was an almost automatic line, and even if not spectacular, the consistency was such that I argued he needed to stick in the rotation. 

Last night's start was almost the exact same - except over the last couple of seasons, he's seemingly gotten better at striking guys out, the control has improved so the walks are less, and he doesn't seem to be getting into too much trouble. I think he's just perfect for the Halos as a #5 guy and hope they just leave him there this year and next. 

On 5/22/2023 at 7:18 PM, Trendon said:

If anything, he's been unlucky.

He has a 6.30 ERA, 3.19 FIP, 3.50 xFIP, and .407 BABIP against.

Both he and Detmers have had weird seasons.  Like Detmers almost all the damage against him is batting average driven, take his first appearance out and his BaBip on the season is sitting at .443 -- that screams fluke.

His FIP/xFIP are good because he's limited walks while keeping it in the yard (until recently) and done a good job of generated his own outs -- normally those things result in positive results, his season doesn't make sense at all.  I still don't think he's anything better than a swing man, but he's pitched like a good one and his ERA is painting him as an awful one.

His predictive data has been taking a hit of late so maybe he'd be getting exposed if he were being used more, but that BABIP is still a completely outlier.

4 hours ago, totdprods said:

image.png

He's still getting a little lucky, but, I think he's found the ability to be a consistent midpoint from what he was when he first came up and what he is today. Has all the makings of a guy who can give you a solid 3.50 ERA and a lot of innings, and hope he's in the rotation for the remainder of the year. I don't think he'll ever really dominate, or maintain what he's been doing, and I wouldn't be surprised if he still gets shelled once in a while, but, he doesn't seem to be prone to the same big inning problems (either by allowing runs, or allowing too many runners, or driving up pitch counts) that Sandoval, Detmers, and Anderson have suffered from. Even Ohtani to a degree. He's been quite dependable.

Good take.  He's going to have games where he serves up meatballs..  It's just par for the course with a guy with his velocity and arsenal.  He's gonna have a day where his stuff is slightly off, pitches stay up and he will get tagged.  But like you said -- he's looking like a guy that will be better than average 75% of the time.

On 6/8/2023 at 9:03 AM, totdprods said:

image.png

You mean a good back end rotation pitcher.

3 hours ago, totdprods said:

Oh. Yeah dude I was right there with you.  You and I are probably president and vice president of the Barria fan club here. Glad to see him getting a shot again.

Sad thing is he will have a bad start every now and then and people will start crying to DFA him.

3 hours ago, stormngt said:

Sad thing is he will have a bad start every now and then and people will start crying to DFA him.

Yup - when he has a bad start, it’s gonna be something like 3 HR in 1.2 IP and 9 ER. It’ll be ugly, but won’t happen but once or thrice over a full season. 

Meanwhile guys like Sandoval and Canning and Detmers and Anderson seem to have every third start this season be something like 4.2 IP, 5 ER. 

I know that’s kinda hyperbolic, but, point stands. Barria will give you a solid, workman’s game a bulk of the time I think. Rarely dominant but usually competitive, punctuated with a day where he gets totally crushed, whereas the other guys so far this year seem to be good one start and mediocre, but not dramatically bad, the next.

Edited by totdprods