• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jaime Barria will start tomorrow

mmc

5 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Well, a few guys here mentioned they wanted Barria in the starting rotation so it looks like we get to see how that works out against Boston.

I don’t really love the idea of him starting but I love the idea of Silseth as a high leverage reliever. 

Not convinced Barrie should be starting, I liked him in the roll he’s been in  

I do like them putting Silseth back in the pen.  Maybe down the line Silseth will make a good starter but this team needs to find some answers in the pen before Moore and Estevez come into the game. 

Edited by HaloBronco

27 minutes ago, HaloBronco said:

Not convinced Barrie should be starting, I liked him in the roll he’s been in  

I do like them putting Silseth back in the pen.  Maybe down the line Silseth will make a good starter but this team needs to find some answers in the pen before Moore and Estevez come into the game. 

Problem is that in his role so far, he goes beyond even the normal starting pitcher’s rest period.   It’s more important to improve the starting pitcher depth.

Silseth could well be what they desperately have needed in a 3rd late innings guy.

I get the reasoning. 

rotation needs help and Barria has been successful this year maybe it will carry over into 5-6 inning starts. Silseth at the back end of the bullpen solves a lot of current issues, as long as he’s effective.

A Silseth-Moore-Estevez backend of the bullpen has the potential to be good to very good.  

8 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I'd keep my optimism here limited. Barria isn't stretched out at all. Maybe 3-4 innings max. Once he's stretched out, then I think he's someone that can go 5-6 innings with consistency. 

Highest pitch count so far is 58 earlier this month.   I could see him going up to 75 pitches if needed.   With solid command so far, that could potentially equate to 5 innings.

18 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Problem is that in his role so far, he goes beyond even the normal starting pitcher’s rest period.   It’s more important to improve the starting pitcher depth.

Silseth could well be what they desperately have needed in a 3rd late innings guy.

While I think both areas need help I think the pen is the biggest issue to this point of the season. 

Silseth would have more opportunities in a given week to impact the games coming out of the pen. 

5 minutes ago, HaloBronco said:

While I think both areas need help I think the pen is the biggest issue to this point of the season. 

Silseth would have more opportunities in a given week to impact the games coming out of the pen. 

I think the bullpen was an issue for the first couple weeks but has really settled down for the past 3-4 weeks. 

starting pitching quality of starts and how few innings we are getting out of them is what’s killing us right now. 

2 minutes ago, TroutField said:

I think the bullpen was an issue for the first couple weeks but has really settled down for the past 3-4 weeks. 

starting pitching quality of starts and how few innings we are getting out of them is what’s killing us right now. 

Still major issues in the late innings beyond Estevez and Moore

The pen is appropriately constructed now.  

Today was a great example of why this is important.  Devenski faces one batter and gets a key out.  A couple games ago you have to save Devenski for an inning or two somewhere down the line because you were saving both Barria and Davidson for longer outings and they're not higher leverage guys.  

So you've done a couple things here.  You added another high leverage reliever.   And you've made it so you don't NEED two innings per outing from everyone else.  Great if the situation allows for it.  

You've also three guys in the minors on the 40 who have options and another two in the bigs with options.  

My hope is the starting will turn around and live up to the expectations most of us had going into the season. 

We do see flashes of it however those flashes need to become the consistent level of play.
That along with an improved pen will give this team it’s best shot to contend for a playoff spot. 

1 hour ago, TroutField said:

I get the reasoning. 

rotation needs help and Barria has been successful this year maybe it will carry over into 5-6 inning starts. Silseth at the back end of the bullpen solves a lot of current issues, as long as he’s effective.

A Silseth-Moore-Estevez backend of the bullpen has the potential to be good to very good.  

I agree.

3 hours ago, HaloBronco said:

Yes

They made the bullpen better 2-3 times a week and the rotation is unchanged for the once every 9-10 games this spot comes up. 

I think this is the obvious move and I was surprised they even gave Silseth one start. 

42 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Yes

They made the bullpen better 2-3 times a week and the rotation is unchanged for the once every 9-10 games this spot comes up. 

I think this is the obvious move and I was surprised they even gave Silseth one start. 

Jeff, were you surprised Philips got DFA instead of sending Soto sent back to minors.

Just now, Angels 1961 said:

Jeff, were you surprised Philips got DFA instead of sending Soto sent back to minors.

A little bit. It’s still a very small sample size with Moniak. If he turns the wrong direction or they decide that Ward needs to play every day at AAA, then it would be nice to have Phillips. And they really don’t need Soto for anything.