• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Has your assessment of the Angels changed from where it was before the season started?

BTH

Has your assessment of the Angels changed from where it was before the season started?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Has your assessment of the Angels changed from where it was before the season started?

• Better
    • Same
    • Worse

6th is runs scored, is better than I would have predicted. 20th in runs allowed is worse than I predicted. I thought the starting pitching would be better. Anderson's been awful other than his first start. I thought he would definitely be better. I thought Detmers would pitch better too. I didn't have much faith in Suarez, but he's been absolutely horrible other than one start.

If someone had told me they'd be 20-18 at this point before the season, I would have thought that sounds about right.

I don't know if I've ever seen an Angels' team that's been as bad as this one at holding early leads though. The offense gives the starters a 2,3,4 run lead, and it seems like most of the time the starters just give it right back up. The pitching's been horrible with runners in scoring position and 2 outs. 25th highest WHIP in those situations.

16 hours ago, Trendon said:

38 games in, they’re 20-18.

6-13 against opponents above .500

14-5 against opponents below .500

Anyone that has ever read my posts likely knows the defensive issues are my biggest gripe.  The annoying thing is that it's more often thank not self inflicted wounds -- they haven't set up or been bad defensively so much as they have just flat out butchered stuff they usually make essentially "Rengifoed" stuff.  It's been annoying.  Drury is likely the worst defensive player on the team and he's been passable overall.  

The disparity in W/L records isn't pretty but they were competitive in all but three of those games .vs +500 teams (Yankee finale, Texas series).   They have IMO beaten themselves more often this year than they have been beaten up -- not that it makes it any easier to swallow but it's a hell of a lot easier to fix.

Matt Thaiss has basically saved the catching situation so far -- his framing metrics have actually surprised me.  He's had his issues but I think people have to be happy with how he's performed.  Neto has been better defensively than advertised -- more importantly his baseball IQ has been a strength, the complete opposite of Rengifo in that sense.  My hope is that they spend this month and June figuring out what they need to fix and putting together a plan for how to do it.  

What I don't want them to do is to make some futile lets risk everything to try to win and keep Ohtani type effort.  

4 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

What I don't want them to do is to make some futile lets risk everything to try to win and keep Ohtani type effort. 

If that happens it would be Artie’s doing, I imagine.  Now if they could get an ace with at least 2024 control that might be a good idea.  Might have to go over the tax but lots of money comes off next year. 

Edited by Revad

Has anyone took a look at the AL East standings? The Yankees are in last place and have a better record than us.

The team is going to have to start playing better baseball, if they have any chance of hanging with Texas and Houston for the division or competing with the East teams for a wild card.

Sooner rather than later, we're almost a quarter way into the season at this point.

35 minutes ago, REDneck said:

Has anyone took a look at the AL East standings? The Yankees are in last place and have a better record than us.

That entire division has been feasting on the AL Central, possibly the worse division in MLB.  Everyone in the AL East has played at least 10 games .vs the Central save for the Red Sox are just under at 9, and every team in the AL East except the Yankees is at least 5 games over .500 .vs the AL Central.

The nice thing about the more balanced schedule is that it will all eventually even out.  

8 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

The disparity in W/L records isn't pretty but they were competitive in all but three of those games .vs +500 teams (Yankee finale, Texas series). 

Was gonna mention that yesterday, but thought it would come off as "loser talk". But I see it the same way. The Texas series was embarrassing. And if we're being honest should have been a sweep. But that seems to be the lone one we looked over matched. The rest of the series we've played, at least that I've watched, have seemed closer than the record shows. A few things going our way and we gave a far better record.

8 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

I still say we stop taking the pill and let him get us pregnant.

Just for perspective, the Padres are .500, and the Mets and Phillies are both below it.

I think all 3 teams are better than we are, and will end up with better records, playoffs etc

But just pointing out even the really good teams lose games they shouldnt.

Edited by ten ocho recon scout

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

I originally thought they might win 82 games. I'm raising that projection to 88 wins now. 

The revamped bullpen has been a nice surprise. Now if Trout could only get going...

My opinion has been from the get go that it’s an 88-90 win team has constructed.  If they are playing like an 88-90 win team at the deadline, they’ll upgrade the roster to get them to 90-92 wins. The reason I quoted you is I believe in order to even get to 88 Trout has to be at least 85% of being Trout. He can’t have results like this all year and have the team expect to win those 88+ games. 

At 40-32, they're about where I expected them to be before the season, when I predicted 90-92 wins. Right now they're on pace for 90-72.

The reminder is that it is a long season. Two weeks ago the Angels were at .500 and it looked pretty bad. Two weeks from now they could be at 50-35 or 44-41.