• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Has your assessment of the Angels changed from where it was before the season started?

BTH

Has your assessment of the Angels changed from where it was before the season started?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Has your assessment of the Angels changed from where it was before the season started?

• Better
    • Same
    • Worse

I think the Halos have a shot to make the playoffs  - might be a short run there - but think the AL West has a good shot to get one or both of the Wild Card spots.

QUESTION THROUGH TRADE DEADLINE DATE :

Does Ohtani get moved for prospects--?  Some team (Yankees most likely, but Dodgers as well) will certainly over-pay for having Ohtani on their roster for the stretch run/ playoffs WITH also a possible advantage to sign him long term.

This news just in -Ohtani is not. re-upping/ extending  his time in Anaheim.  The choice is -  get something more than draft pick compensation for perhaps the best player to play the game -- or let him walk for virtually nothing - just that draft pick.

2 minutes ago, disarcina said:

I think the Halos have a shot to make the playoffs  - might be a short run there - but think the AL West has a good shot to get one or both of the Wild Card spots.

Does Ohtani get moved for prospects--?  Some team (Yankees most likely, but Dodgers as well) will certainly over-pay for having Ohtani on their roster for the stretch run/ playoffs WITH also a possible advantage to sign him long term.

This news just in -Ohtani is not. re-upping/ extending  his time in Anaheim.  The choice is -  get something more than draft pick compensation for perhaps the best player to play the game -- or let him walk for virtually nothing - just that draft pick.

There are three Wiildcards now. Currently Angels have the second one, Houston and the Yankees are tied for the third one. Baltimore is the first wildcard. 

The AL Central leader is Minnesota at just .500, so the chances of a second team coming from the Central are essentially zero. 

So one of the West or the East is gonna grab two wildcards, and the other will likely get one.

1 minute ago, Hubs said:

There are three Wiildcards now. Currently Angels have the second one, Houston and the Yankees are tied for the third one. Baltimore is the first wildcard. 

The AL Central leader is Minnesota at just .500, so the chances of a second team coming from the Central are essentially zero. 

So one of the West or the East is gonna grab two wildcards, and the other will likely get one.

and the first wild card team gets home team advantage all through the first playoff (wild card). round. and that's what? best two out  of three (which is far better than the one game 'season' set up it replaces). Wild card teams 2 and 3 are on the road for the first (best of three) as I understand it.

4 minutes ago, disarcina said:

Just now, disarcina said:

and the first wild card team gets home team advantage all through the first playoff (wild card). round. and that's what? best two out  of three (which is far better than the one game 'season' set up it replaces). Wild card teams 2 and 3 are on the road for the first (best of three) as I understand it.

Yes, WC 1 (#4 Seed) plays WC #3 (#6 seed), while the 3rd Seeded Division Winner plays WC #2, (#5 Seed).

12 minutes ago, disarcina said:

And Unless you are Shohei himself, you have zero idea that he is not going to re-sign. No one knows other than Shohei himself. So stop with this trade Ohtani BS. There is zero chance Arte moves him. Perry may want to if the Angels have a '95 esque collapse, but it's just not going to happen. So next year he's either back or they have a draft pick. I've also said a million times on different threads, teams trading Superstars very rarely get a substantial package that turns out. Look at the last 10 superstar trades, the only one that benefitted the trading team that I can recall is Texas trading Teixiera. 

- Big Trades Where Trading Team improved:

1971 Trade of Fregosi to the Mets. Obviously Nolan Ryan went the other way. 

2000 Trade of Griffey Jr. to the Reds. Mariners got useful, if not spectacular players in return.

1998 Trade of Randy Johnson to the Astros. Mariners got back three useful mid-grade players.

2007 Trade of Texiera to the Braves. Rangers got back Salty, Andrus, Etc.

2004 Garciaparra Trade. Red Sox won WS after trading him. 

- Big Trades where Trading team got bupkis or mediocre return.

2007 Santana to Mets. Twins got mostly prospects and OF Gomez. Not a good return.

2004 A-Rod to Yankees. Rangers got back Soriano. 

2004 Trade of Beltran to Astros. Royals got back Mark Teahan and little else.

2010 Trade of Roy Halladay to the Phillies. Blue Jays didn't get much back.

2007 Trade of Cabrera to Detroit. Marlins got successful players back, but none had success for Marlins.

2019 Trade of Mookie Betts.

On 5/11/2023 at 12:53 PM, Stradling said:

I don’t often agree with you but I’m pretty much right there. I thought they were 88 win team with the idea of upgrading at the deadline to get around 89-92 wins. 
I’ll say this, my outlook hasn’t changed but I thought that starting pitching would be much better. I’m disappointed in the defense.  The pen has performed much better than fans think. I thought the depth created would allow us to beat teams that on paper were better with more frequency. 
I still see about an 88 win team and right now and they are on pace to win about 85-86 games. 

I still believe this. 

41 minutes ago, Hubs said:

And Unless you are Shohei himself, you have zero idea that he is not going to re-sign. No one knows other than Shohei himself. So stop with this trade Ohtani BS. There is zero chance Arte moves him. Perry may want to if the Angels have a '95 esque collapse, but it's just not going to happen. So next year he's either back or they have a draft pick. I've also said a million times on different threads, teams trading Superstars very rarely get a substantial package that turns out. Look at the last 10 superstar trades, the only one that benefitted the trading team that I can recall is Texas trading Teixiera. 

- Big Trades Where Trading Team improved:

1971 Trade of Fregosi to the Mets. Obviously Nolan Ryan went the other way. 

2000 Trade of Griffey Jr. to the Reds. Mariners got useful, if not spectacular players in return.

1998 Trade of Randy Johnson to the Astros. Mariners got back three useful mid-grade players.

2007 Trade of Texiera to the Braves. Rangers got back Salty, Andrus, Etc.

2004 Garciaparra Trade. Red Sox won WS after trading him. 

- Big Trades where Trading team got bupkis or mediocre return.

2007 Santana to Mets. Twins got mostly prospects and OF Gomez. Not a good return.

2004 A-Rod to Yankees. Rangers got back Soriano. 

2004 Trade of Beltran to Astros. Royals got back Mark Teahan and little else.

2010 Trade of Roy Halladay to the Phillies. Blue Jays didn't get much back.

2007 Trade of Cabrera to Detroit. Marlins got successful players back, but none had success for Marlins.

2019 Trade of Mookie Betts.

1985ish - tigers trade minor leaguer john smoltz to the braves for doyle alexander for a playoff push

3 minutes ago, Tank said:

1985ish - tigers trade minor leaguer john smoltz to the braves for doyle alexander for a playoff push

I would've said in the past 25 years, but then I threw the Fregosi one in there cuz thats the last time I think the Angels traded anyone who was a star for prospects.

I'll take the playoff push this year and the 2nd round pick (if he leaves).

Edited by Hubs

17 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yes, but if they lose 1 of 2 to the Dodgers (I am a failo) then they are back on pace to win about 88.  

I'm hoping for a 4-1 week. 5 wins would be epic, but as long as they take one from the Dogs and win the games against the Rockies or win both against the Dogs and win 2/3 against the Rockies they're still rolling. 

I also hope they break the Saturday streak, as I'm going to the game that day.

And if they go 4-1, they'd be on pace for 92.

Just now, WicketMaiden said:

They are about where I thought they'd be, now that they've recovered from that stretch of finding unusual ways to beat themselves and are now playing up to their talent level. More to come from Trout and maybe Walsh too. Fun times.

Still found two epic ways to lose last week. LOL.

Yes. Because I thought the young starting pitchers would be more consistent. I really expected both Detmers, and Sandoval, to continue to improve. Also, I expected Suarez to be at least a soild #4, #5 guy with an ERA in the low 4's.

Instead, the Angels are

4-8 In Detmers' starts

5-8 in Sandoval's starts

2-4 in Suarez' starts

If those 3 had pitched well enough to keep this team right around .500 in their starts, the Angels would be right with Texas right now record wise. They're 30-12 when Ohtani, Canning, Anderson (somehow) and Barria start.