• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Are we all a little disgusted tonight?

Brandon Drury has never had a sacrifice bunt in his Major League career. Renigfo has 7. Phillips has 9, including 4 last year. Obviously, Phillips would have been the best option in that situation. I trust him to get the job done more than Renigfo , but both would have given the team a better chance to win than letting Drury swing away. To me, it's would be like pinch hitting for a slap hitter with a power hitter when you're down by one with 2 outs and nobody on. They needed to win this game. Same old Angels.

Say what u want about Sosh, but he finds a way to win today's game!

No...I have no way to substantiate this.

It's not even a knock on Nevin.

Edited by REDneck

32 minutes ago, gurn67 said:

Brandon Drury has never had a sacrifice bunt in his Major League career. Renigfo has 7. Phillips has 9, including 4 last year. Obviously, Phillips would have been the best option in that situation. I trust him to get the job done more than Renigfo , but both would have given the team a better chance to win than letting Drury swing away. To me, it's would be like pinch hitting for a slap hitter with a power hitter when you're down by one with 2 outs and nobody on. They needed to win this game. Same old Angels.

Interesting and may explain the decision...if so should of been pinch hit for.

Don't care if the Astros saw a SAC coming with a PH.

Is it that Drury doesn't know how to bunt or he just has never done it?

Did Nevin have this info?   Don't be so sure.

Look I know there are different strategys , but I'm gonna die on this hill tonight that Drury or someone should of moved those runners up.

Edited by REDneck

54 minutes ago, full circle said:

I don’t have to pretend anything.  The way he left here and the way exactly zero teams wanted him afterward tells me he wasn’t “great.”  A great manager wouldn’t have a hard time finding another job after expressing that he wanted one. 

He had many offers.  He wanted/wants a level of control that no other team would be willing to give him.  

Not smart ball at all. Home runs or nothing. Problematic inner diamond defense. Herget missing badly with two strikes and two outs. A dozen strikeouts by the hitters. Again. 

Drury trying to pull an outside curve with two strikes and the game on the line. starting Ward against a pitcher who he literally hadn't been able to ever get his bat on the ball. 

Frustrating losing these two divisional series at home. And seven games on the road now. 

Drury should know how to bunt.  But he doesn't so you don't ask him to.  It's that simple.  Lose the game by putting your players in their best position to succeed.  They might as well have asked Rendon and Renfroe to double steal.  It makes almost as much sense as asking a guy who has zero sacrifices to sacrifice.  

12 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

Drury should know how to bunt.  But he doesn't so you don't ask him to.  It's that simple.  Lose the game by putting your players in their best position to succeed.  They might as well have asked Rendon and Renfroe to double steal.  It makes almost as much sense as asking a guy who has zero sacrifices to sacrifice.  

Does he not know how to bunt or he just hasn't been asked to bunt before?

This hasn't been answered to my liking.

I guess you can make a case that they are one in the same.

If he doesn't know how to bunt then pinch hit...I don't care if the defense knows you're PH for a sac...1b and 3b play in for the sac...double steal!!

If he doesn't know how to bunt...Why? Is he Barry Bonds,Mike Trout(not a great example lately)...if he does not know how to bunt it's just another example of poor fundamentals with this team.

1 hour ago, Docwaukee said:

29 minutes ago, REDneck said:

If he doesn't know how to bunt then pinch hit...I don't care if the defense knows you're PH for a sac...1b and 3b play in for the sac...double steal!!

If he doesn't know how to bunt...Why? Is he Barry Bonds,Mike Trout(not a great example lately)...if he does not know how to bunt it's just another example of poor fundamentals with this team.

Alright Doc I usually agree with most of your posts, so I have a feeling I'm about to get schooled....go ahead!

21 minutes ago, REDneck said:

to answer the first part of your question - you should know that before you ask a guy to bunt who doesn't have a bunt hit or a sacrifice bunt in over 2400 major league plate appearances.  

But here's the thing, even if he tells you yes, you have to look at his track record and decide for yourself as the manager.  Based on his stats, he's either never been asked or he's never been successful when he has tried.  

People don't work on bunting anymore because it's a waste of an out that is rarely asked to be performed.  

People keep calling bunting a fundamental.  It's not.  It's not enough a part of the game anymore to waste your time practicing.  Practice hitting.  Practice fielding.  Practice other common things that happen in the game.  

If you're good at bunting then super.  If Brandon Drury has to waste his time to get capable at something he'll get asked to do twice a year then don't.  He'd be better of working on his knuckle ball for a late inning appearance.  It's about as relevant.  

2 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

to answer the first part of your question - you should know that before you ask a guy to bunt who doesn't have a bunt hit or a sacrifice bunt in over 2400 major league plate appearances.  

But here's the thing, even if he tells you yes, you have to look at his track record and decide for yourself as the manager.  Based on his stats, he's either never been asked or he's never been successful when he has tried.  

People don't work on bunting anymore because it's a waste of an out that is rarely asked to be performed.  

People keep calling bunting a fundamental.  It's not.  It's not enough a part of the game anymore to waste your time practicing.  Practice hitting.  Practice fielding.  Practice other common things that happen in the game.  

If you're good at bunting then super.  If Brandon Drury has to waste his time to get capable at something he'll get asked to do twice a year then don't.  He'd be better of working on his knuckle ball for a late inning appearance.  It's about as relevant.  

Fair enough!