• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trout to NYPost on Angels keeping Ohtani: “Ultimately, it’s going to come down if we get to the playoffs”

mmc

• mmc changed the title to Trout to NYPost on Angels keeping Ohtani: “Ultimately, it’s going to come down if we get to the playoffs”
1 hour ago, WicketMaiden said:

Unless Perry can pull off a couple of trades, to replace injured O'Hoppe with something considerably better than hoping Thaiss will get better, and for some high quality bull-pen help.

There is zero chance they get any quality bullpen arms. Teams are not looking to trade those type of guys. They will need to win with what they have 

Edited by Jason

The full quote from Trout is perhaps even worse than the headline?

"Trout, meantime, suggested he isn’t abandoning all hope, telling The Post, “Ultimately, it’s going to come down if we get to the playoffs. That could put a thought in his mind — that could give us a shot.” 

That latter portion makes it sound like Trout thinks Ohtani won't even consider the Angels unless they make the playoffs.

LOL...  This is going to be the standard byline until he either signs or leaves. 

I started accepting an Ohtani-less future two years ago, I said as much here.  I saw/see no point in going all Canadian and repeating it at every turn but I'm genuinely surprised that more people here haven't already moved from believing he will re-sign to expecting him to leave while still hoping something miraculous happens that makes him forget his entire Angels career has been one mired in turmoil.  Constant changes on the field and in the dugout, bad press left and right, and just for shits and giggles ... a couple deaths along the way.  At this point they could win the WS and I can still see him moving on just so he can find a place that isn't in a constant state of flux.   This team has gone from one where stability had become the norm to one where mayhem is the status quo.

The Angels will have a lot of money to spend, either on Ohtani or his replacements.  Hopefully Arte is still in his unfinished business mode when winter comes.   Thank God the 28th ranked farm system is also showing signs of life.

12 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

LOL...  This is going to be the standard byline until he either signs or leaves. 

I started accepting an Ohtani-less future two years ago, I said as much here.  I saw/see no point in going all Canadian and repeating it at every turn but I'm genuinely surprised that more people here haven't already moved from believing he will re-sign to expecting him to leave while still hoping something miraculous happens that makes him forget his entire Angels career has been one mired in turmoil.  Constant changes on the field and in the dugout, bad press left and right, and just for shits and giggles ... a couple deaths along the way.  At this point they could win the WS and I can still see him moving on just so he can find a place that isn't in a constant state of flux.   This team has gone from one where stability had become the norm to one where mayhem is the status quo.

The Angels will have a lot of money to spend, either on Ohtani or his replacements.  Hopefully Arte is still in his unfinished business mode when winter comes.   Thank God the 28th ranked farm system is also showing signs of life.

When you look at the entire history of the franchise, that stable period was a blip on what has otherwise been a very tumultuous franchise. 

14 minutes ago, Mark68 said:

When you look at the entire history of the franchise, that stable period was a blip on what has otherwise been a very tumultuous franchise. 

Yes -- turnover was the status quo for most of it's history

But Bro.... it was a solid 14 years where the good vastly outnumbered the bad and 18 years where there was one steadying voice in the room.

Then they turned the page.

Some of you guys think the Angels' are one of MLB's loser clubs, reality is that up until very recently they were the only MLB expansion team with a winning record all time.  That "blip" as you termed it was a huge reason why and a much larger part of the Angels history than some here are willing to admit.

What I find sickening is how they let that all slip away.

15 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

But Bro.... it was a solid 14 years where the good vastly outnumbered the bad and 18 years where there was one steadying voice in the room.

Some of you guys think the Angels' are one of MLB's loser clubs, reality is that up until very recently they were the only MLB expansion team with a winning record all time.  That "blip" as you termed it was a huge reason why and a much larger part of the Angels history than some here are willing to admit.

Exactly

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

The are consistently mediocre. I don't remember the exact stat, but the vast majority of their seasons are in the 70s and 80s of wins, and it is really centered on the 75-85 range.

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

The are consistently mediocre. I don't remember the exact stat, but the vast majority of their seasons are in the 70s and 80s of wins, and it is really centered on the 75-85 range.

I'd have thought the .498 lifetime winning percentage spoke for itself --Tied with Toronto for 14th or 15th depending on how you view ties.   They had reached as high as 12th then kaboom.

And as bad as things have been the last 10 years they still rank 7th overall in wins this century

https://champsorchumps.us/records/most-mlb-wins-since-2000#:~:text=The New York Yankees have,times%2C in 2000 and 2009.

7 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

And as bad as things have been the last 10 years they still rank 7th overall in wins this century

https://champsorchumps.us/records/most-mlb-wins-since-2000#:~:text=The New York Yankees have,times%2C in 2000 and 2009.

Even crazier.....  They rank 10th overall in MLB wins since 1990 

https://champsorchumps.us/records/most-mlb-wins-since-1990#:~:text=Which MLB team has the,the most in the MLB.

And again -- 10th overall since 1980

https://champsorchumps.us/records/most-mlb-wins-since-1980

Look kids, Big Ben!

10th overall since the 1970s

https://champsorchumps.us/records/most-mlb-wins-since-1970

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Scioscia evolved during his time here and by the end it was clear it was time to move on.  Just because they made poor subsequent hiring decisions doesn’t mean it was the wrong move for him to leave.  

4 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

The full quote from Trout is perhaps even worse than the headline?

"Trout, meantime, suggested he isn’t abandoning all hope, telling The Post, “Ultimately, it’s going to come down if we get to the playoffs. That could put a thought in his mind — that could give us a shot.” 

That latter portion makes it sound like Trout thinks Ohtani won't even consider the Angels unless they make the playoffs.

Figured that was obvious. Dude wants to win and already has wasted 5 seasons here on losing teams. Don't blame him one bit