• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

To keep everyone based and not get ahead of ourselves

2 hours ago, Blarg said:

Putting 1/5th of your payroll allowance into one athlete is a huge risk. It doesn't matter what kind of revenue that player nets, it still limits the amount of money you can spread over the rest of the forty man roster to field a team.

Currently the Angels are doing fine with the young cost controlled pitching they have. That won't stay that way and they've invested in short term solutions to the infield and outfield, making development crucial to fill those roles. A couple of failed prospects and you are in cap problems.

The extra revenue would allow a large increase in payroll, ergo, he is affordable and wouldn't impact the rest of the team any more than the cost of any elite player. So, you have $180m for the team, plus $50m for Shohei. Without Shohei's extra revenue, you keep the payroll at $180m - $200m.

The past decade has made me very leary of long term mega deals. That being said...

It's simple on this one (IMO).

1. Trout. Trout got a mega deal. Spoiler alert. He hasn't lived up to it if we're being honest. He's still a beast. But he's missed a ton of time since signing it. And he'll only get worse.

That's fine though. He's a once a generation player. 

Ohtani is a once in a lifetime player, if not more. (At least currently).

Bo Jackson is Ohtanis closest comp. He's still remembered as super human..

When he had like one all star year in baseball, and something 2 full years worth of football. Ohtani will be remembered like Bo.

2. More importantly.

I made a post a few months back of the fact that we've spent close to a billion dollars the past decade on absolute crap. Pujols. HHamilton. Wilson. Cowart. And on and on and on.

Rendon being the latest one.

And we still have zero debt? (So the team can absorb it if it goes south).

More important, what do all those guys have in common? That makes them different from Trout when he inevitably slows down and is old?

It's that they made all their money somewhere else, we just paid for it.

Like Trout, if in say year 4 of a 10 year mega deal, Ohtani is a one way player, so be it. What you'll get out of him the next few years, and the lifetime after, is worth it.

It's worth paying Ohtani half of what you gave Pujols, Hamilton, Wells, GMJ, etc etc etc.

This team has already killed itself paying for those mistakes. Letting Ohtani go somewhere else because of them would be so us...

(Note. This is assuming Ohtani even wants to stay...)

3 hours ago, Rollinghard said:

I have heard from a reliable source that Ohtani only wants to remain an Angel or become Dodger. He is not interested in any other teams. Why does it have to be 10 years? How about 7/400 mil

Recent history suggests the Dodgers won't go 10 years and are more likely to offer a shorter term deal for more money aav.

1 hour ago, Lhalo said:

Who else attended? I was only 9 years old but I can remember it like it was yesterday.

It's crazy that in reality, he wasn't that great in baseball. He was basically Puig... all the tools in the world, but the result was "some day he's going to be a monster" (and it never happened).

Same peak time too, almost.

Same as football. Played half the year for 4 years.

And he's still almost as popular as Jordan.

There's very few athletes out there who are as "mythical" and legendary as Bo.

Until Ohtani arrived almost..m

3 hours ago, WicketMaiden said:

The extra revenue would allow a large increase in payroll, ergo, he is affordable and wouldn't impact the rest of the team any more than the cost of any elite player. So, you have $180m for the team, plus $50m for Shohei. Without Shohei's extra revenue, you keep the payroll at $180m - $200m.

This is pretty much what I meant when, some time ago, I was saying Arte needed to put Ohtani on a separate budget.  I’m not sure how you can measure the value of Ohtani to the Angels, especially.

2 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

It's that they made all their money somewhere else, we just paid for it.

It makes so much sense only to sign an outside FA, for literally market price, if he takes you over the top.  As opposed to signing a big one every year.  Some of the contracts handed out this off-season were crazy.  Anderson is a good deal, but the big SS and upper tier pitching cost was scary.  Plus I’m uneasy about losing the second pick and international money every year, that alone is too expensive long term.

11 hours ago, WicketMaiden said:

Maybe you don't understand the compounding factor for the competitive balance tax. It will quickly supercede any gains from outside revenue. 

9 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

It's crazy that in reality, he wasn't that great in baseball. He was basically Puig... all the tools in the world, but the result was "some day he's going to be a monster" (and it never happened).

Same peak time too, almost.

Same as football. Played half the year for 4 years.

And he's still almost as popular as Jordan.

There's very few athletes out there who are as "mythical" and legendary as Bo.

Until Ohtani arrived almost..m

fair assessment.

bo. never put up great numbers. he was fun to watch because in baseball he was so strong and athletic - breaking bats over his knee/head, climbing walls to make catches, etc. But he never put up a 40 homer season or drove in 140 or hit .360 or anything. 

he did better in football, where he still only played 38 games. had some spectacular runs, but only ran for just under 2800 yards. 

i think it was the potential for Bo that made him so much fun to watch, knowing that something spectacular could happen at any moment. 

4 hours ago, Blarg said:

Maybe you don't understand the compounding factor for the competitive balance tax. It will quickly supercede any gains from outside revenue. 

Yes, that concept is clearly beyond me. Maybe if I had your towering intellect I would look at Rendon's $38m annual salary ending in 2026 as an opportunity to re-set the tax to avoid the 50% compounded rate in 2027. And maybe if I had your amazing ability with numbers, $180m for the team plus $50m for Shohei would magically be above the $237 million CBT rate in 2024; $241m in 2025; and $244m in 2026.

4 hours ago, Stradling said:

There was an article last year that said the Angels get about $10 million in Japanese advertising a year. Even at $30 million a year I don’t think he’s generating enough revenue to pay for himself. 

If you keep his annual salary lower for the next three years, they can easily afford him even at 50M a year when Rendon is off the books. (And Fletcher, and Stassi).

Yes guys like Sandoval, Detmers, and Ward will be being paid, but you should also have a lot of the minors up under club control in 2027-2031.

22 hours ago, Taylor said:

Screenshot_20230406_120839_Reddit.jpg

The craziest part of this, and I mentioned it last season, is that here in year 4 of his contract, he still hasn't played in a single 162 game season, combined.

We released Hamilton after 2 years... Rendon has been here double that... and has played in half as many games (or something)

Lol

1 minute ago, Hubs said:

If you keep his annual salary lower for the next three years, they can easily afford him even at 50M a year when Rendon is off the books. (And Fletcher, and Stassi).

Yes guys like Sandoval, Detmers, and Ward will be being paid, but you should also have a lot of the minors up under club control in 2027-2031.

If they can't afford him they can't afford him. (They can). It is what it is 

But it highlights Moreno refusing to sell to bidders who apparently offered him 3 Billion dollars or whatever.

I think it's a huge gamble on letting Ohtani go, and Moreno staying, from a PR standpoint.

(And again, who knows if Ohtani even wants to stay).

Also, didn't we chase Scherzer and offer 50 a year or something like that? He has two different eyes, Ohtani does two different things. Way better.

6 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I agree. 

I've been saying since Ohtani signed the 1 yr 30M deal (without going to arbitration) that my gut tells me if the Angels make the playoffs this fall and show some fight, and Sho gets a taste of meaningful, do-or-die games (like he got in WBC) then he'd be willing to re-sign with the Angels at a team-friendly "discount" even while other teams offer more $.

Again, that's just my gut feeling, which is probably naive and over-optimistic... but everything I know about the guy says to me that he's not driven by money. He's almost like a celibate monk, singularly devoted to baseball, and the process of becoming the best baseball player ever (not the highest paid, though he surely will be). 

One thing is for sure... I need to brace myself for the endless assault of speculation over the next few months. It seems like every single outlet of national and local news, every sports site, every baseball podcast, YouTube, etc is cranking out daily content guessing how much $ he'll sign for, and/or which team will be be paying him.

I'm already over-saturated, and it's only just begun...