• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

To keep everyone based and not get ahead of ourselves

.... get back in the car with the radio still on 830 and listen to Lodge and Rush doing the post-game.

My first game of the year hearing this. Forgot the majesty of it all.

In the past 5 minutes I've heard a kudos given to Carpino, and a John Stamos name drop.

Gonna stay here to see what happens next.

They made some good points about not signing Ohtani to a mega deal. About how it would hinder other deals.

.... which felt like it was suggested they prep Honk Nation for the inevitable.

It's funny because it's a great point. Ohtani mega millions would likely cripple the payroll.

The problem is that it was coming from Lodge... the guy who until the day he retired still pointed out Pujols' career and how amazing he was when callers would complain.

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

They made some good points about not signing Ohtani to a mega deal. About how it would hinder other deals.

It's funny because it's a great point. Ohtani mega millions would likely cripple the payroll.

The problem is that it was coming from Lodge... the guy who until the day he retired still pointed out Pujols' career and how amazing he was when callers would complain.

i wonder if it will cripple the payroll of all the actual mlb franchise owners that will bang down ohtani's door in the offseason?

arte is milb. he's got a .22 caliber mind in a .357 world.

4 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I said this when the Arte interview came out: I'm getting the impression that Arte knows how much Shohei is asking for and isn't planning on meeting the ask and now is doing preemptive damage control. I hope I'm wrong. This is the single most amazing player of all time. Letting him go would be like trading Babe Ruth to the Yankees. Any owner who would do that should be run out of the league. 

5 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I think that is two dimensional thinking. Whoever has Ohtani won't just be taking on a $50m liability, but will also receive a huge uptick in advertising revenue and a much increased media profile at home and abroad. Ohtani himself is set to make over $20m in personal endorsements, if a marketing team can't parlay that into an extra $20m - $30m per year revenue for a team then they really should consider other careers. Ohtani will bring revenue other players simply can't create, and that mitigates a large proportion of his additional cost.

For example, how much would a new TV contract be with Ohtani, compared to without Ohtani? How many hits will any online content receive with Ohtani compared to without? How many extra fans come to the stadium just to see Ohtani? How many Japanese advertisers would want to be associated with whoever Ohtani is playing for? How many US advertisers would want to be associated with such an excellent brand ambassador? And that is all before we even consider his impact on the field and the improvement in team performance we see with him on the team leading a rotation while launching 30HR per year.

I can't imagine Rendon brings much extra advertising revenue, I doubt any player in the $20m - $35m bracket does (except maybe Trout). So if a top class player is a $20m - $35 million cost, and Ohtani is $15m more but brings in an extra $30m per year revenue, I don't see how that cripples any team. Especially when you consider with Ohtani you are getting an ace pitcher and a league leading DH which would cost $30m per year (pitcher) and $15m per year (DH) to replace for the same levels of production.

Even at $50m per year, he is excellent value for money.

5 hours ago, WicketMaiden said:

Even at $50m per year, he is excellent value for money.

When healthy, I agree.  But that’s a big assumption, especially with the strain he puts on his body as a two way player.  His performance currently is worth it, but ten years is a long time.

17 minutes ago, Revad said:

When healthy, I agree.  But that’s a big assumption, especially with the strain he puts on his body as a two way player.  His performance currently is worth it, but ten years is a long time.

The additional marketing revenue he creates wouldn't be affected very much by injury, that would mostly be agreed and contracted up front, but the franchise would take a hit on attendance revenue if he was out for a long time. So that leaves you with the same risk/reward equation as any elite player. A solution may be to offer a two-way contract that is much reduced if/when Shohei can't do both any more and becomes just a DH. But the main point I'm making is to look beyond the contract value and factor in the huge additional revenue Shohei brings.

52 minutes ago, Revad said:

Exactly. 

2021-22 Ohtani is definitely worth it. But who knows what 2027 Ohtani will be, let alone 2032. There is zero precedent for this. 

I think it’s all gonna be pretty fascinating. 

Putting 1/5th of your payroll allowance into one athlete is a huge risk. It doesn't matter what kind of revenue that player nets, it still limits the amount of money you can spread over the rest of the forty man roster to field a team.

Currently the Angels are doing fine with the young cost controlled pitching they have. That won't stay that way and they've invested in short term solutions to the infield and outfield, making development crucial to fill those roles. A couple of failed prospects and you are in cap problems.

17 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Putting 1/5th of your payroll allowance into one athlete is a huge risk. It doesn't matter what kind of revenue that player nets, it still limits the amount of money you can spread over the rest of the forty man roster to field a team.

Currently the Angels are doing fine with the young cost controlled pitching they have. That won't stay that way and they've invested in short term solutions to the infield and outfield, making development crucial to fill those roles. A couple of failed prospects and you are in cap problems.

So we can assume you don't want to keep Ohtani?

8 hours ago, Pancake Bear said:

I said this when the Arte interview came out: I'm getting the impression that Arte knows how much Shohei is asking for and isn't planning on meeting the ask and now is doing preemptive damage control. I hope I'm wrong. This is the single most amazing player of all time. Letting him go would be like trading Babe Ruth to the Yankees. Any owner who would do that should be run out of the league. 

I’ve actually heard that’s it’s pretty much a done deal to the Dodgers already and that MLB would like him there. Something like a $600 million contract 

13 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

So we can assume you don't want to keep Ohtani?

Nope. But it's not all rainbows and butterflies if they do sign him. Sacrifices in other areas will have to be made. That could include difficulty extending some of the productive players we have now.