• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

ZiPS likes the Angels (Validation)

Angelsjunky

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-2023-start-of-spring-zips-projected-standings-american-league/

85-77, tied for 2nd with the Mariners. 53.2% of making the playoffs.

Consider that ZiPs is very conservative - they predict 89 wins for the Yankees, 90 for the Astros.

The Angels are one of the more interesting puzzles in baseball. The team is terribly constructed, indifferently owned, and is likely just a year away from losing Shohei Ohtani. Rather than make a big splash and add a top-tier free agent, the Angels ran around with a container of mortar and a trowel, trying to cover up enough holes for one last good season with Ohtani in tow. Names like Brandon Drury, Carlos Estévez, Hunter Renfroe, Gio Urshela, Tyler Anderson, Jake Lamb, and Justin Garza don’t exactly scream star power, but given the holes the Angels have, this roster might just actually be good enough to work in 2023.

It always feels like these takes from media outlets start off well, then finish in such a lazy way.

That paragraph you linked characterizes the additions of Drury/Renfroe/Urshela etc as fodder. And yet, all 3 of them had an OPS+ last year that would have slotted right into the Astros lineup. Only really beat out by Yordan, Bregman and Altuve. Those aren't inconsequential additions.

3 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

It always feels like these takes from media outlets start off well, then finish in such a lazy way.

That paragraph you linked characterizes the additions of Drury/Renfroe/Urshela etc as fodder. And yet, all 3 of them had an OPS+ last year that would have slotted right into the Astros lineup. Only really beat out by Yordan, Bregman and Altuve. Those aren't inconsequential additions.

Szymborski's commentary is dumb, but the projections are from the system, not his own predictions. And actually, most predictions this season have the Angels pretty low, so we'll see which ends up being correct. IMO, our depth is much improved, but health is still going to be the key.

I think the line up has a lot of question marks and usually what we’ve seen with that is that most of the question marks don’t work out.  

• no true shortstop
  • will Drury continue hitting 
  • Can Urshela play everyday 
  • will Walsh hit again
  • will Rengifo maintain or advance as a hitter
  • will fletcher hit the ball out of the infield 
  • will ward maintain some degree of his success
  • Will Trout be healthy 
  • Will Rendon be healthy
  • will Rendon not suck shit

Much to consider.  

Pretty good

1 hour ago, UndertheHalo said:

I think the line up has a lot of question marks and usually what we’ve seen with that is that most of the question marks don’t work out.  

• no true shortstop
  • will Drury continue hitting 
  • Can Urshela play everyday 
  • will Walsh hit again
  • will Rengifo maintain or advance as a hitter
  • will fletcher hit the ball out of the infield 
  • will ward maintain some degree of his success
  • Will Trout be healthy 
  • Will Rendon be healthy
  • will Rendon not suck shit

Much to consider.  

Will AJ create any threads on April 22.

Well, on April 22, when Trout is hitting .380/.490/.740, I'll make a thread about how he could have the best offensive season ever. On June 22, when he's missed the last 40 games due to a broken vagitarsal, y'all will have plenty of material to bag on me.

27 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Well, on April 22, when Trout is hitting .380/.490/.740, I'll make a thread about how he could have the best offensive season ever. On June 22, when he's missed the last 40 games due to a broken vagitarsal, y'all will have plenty of material to bag on me.

What's sad is this exact scenario has played out at least twice already.

3 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

• no true shortstop -- TRUE
  • will Drury continue hitting -- POSSIBLY
  • Can Urshela play everyday --YES, BUT WILL HE?
  • will Walsh hit again -- YES I THINK SO
  • will Rengifo maintain or advance as a hitter -- MAYBE
  • will fletcher hit the ball out of the infield -- YES
  • will ward maintain some degree of his success -- ABSOLUTELY YES
  • Will Trout be healthy -- YES
  • Will Rendon be healthy -- YES
  • will Rendon not suck shit -- HE DOESNT.

Much to consider.  

3 minutes ago, Trendon said:

This re-affirms what people have been saying on here: the Angels need to go out and keep adding to the roster.

Even another reliever or a 6th starter could elevate them above Seattle and closer to TOR/TB.

There’s the trade deadline, but if I could get one of the better relievers, like Chafin or Moore, I’d go right ahead and do that.  Should be a little cash left and worry about the deadline when it gets here.

Just now, Revad said:

There’s the trade deadline, but if I could get one of the better relievers, like Chafin or Moore, I’d go right ahead and do that.  Should be a little cash left and worry about the deadline when it gets here.

Yeah, upgrade the team now and worry about the deadline then.

Other teams will make moves at the deadline too, so build the best roster you can right now.

2 hours ago, Ender said:

AL West gonna be tough .... then again we play each other team in the AL West less this year with the whole playing every team thing.

Those games within AL West are really going to count double.  I’m concerned about Texas, if things go right for them it’s going to be crazy.