• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Are you BIG MAD that Arte is keeping the team?

Taylor

BIG MAD Pole  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Are you BIG MAD that Arte is keeping the team?

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

Anyhow, I bet a TON was uncovered during the sale process and he found out a lot about the fans, their disdain for him and because of that and among other things I noted he felt compelled to give this a shot at bringing a Championship to Anaheim. 

Maybe, but even if he did hear that, the only thing that matters is whether he actually makes some changes as a result of it.

If he just leans into "the fans hate me, whatever" then no progress is gonna be made.

11 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Coming back to this, admittedly I was disappointed but I'm also in wait and see mode before I get into overreaction, uber upset mode like most of the fanbase. 

I guess I'm hoping that something like this happened. 

Someone in PR during one of their internal meetings filled Arte in on all the hate & vitriol the fans have of him and after receiving that feedback and sleeping on it, he didn't want to leave a legacy of failure here since he himself is a fan of baseball and the Angels obviously.

Maybe he realized he needs to go out with a bang and win a championship before he's passes the torch to another ownership group so that he can retire comfortably with 2+ billion $$ but even more rewarding, he can look back as a winner and someone who didn't quit, bringing a World Championship back to Anaheim for the fans. 

If this is actually true, fine. This could be a good thing. But how do we know that suddenly Arte cares enough to do things differently? We heard at the trade deadline he didn't want to trade Ohtani because he thought fans would blame him. So there's some amount of awareness. But it's blatantly obvious what it'll take to convince fans anything is different: 

-Offer Ohtani a $500 million contract
-Spend money right now on the bullpen, backup C, another starter, etc. in a way that takes you over the luxury tax. Prove to fans you are willing to pay it instead of announcing to fans for 5 years you are willing but never doing it
-Announce a stadium renovation plan
-Speak to the media--I'm not talking about Sam Blum's tantrum, but answer a few questions. Maybe do a sitdown with Fletcher about why you changed your mind and what you want to do
-Start being visible 
-Publicly support your GM and affirm his autonomy

Otherwise, I feel we are going to be treated to continued underinvestment in baseball operations, never going over the tax, small increases in payroll every year so you can say, "We increased our payroll!", and bad stadium deals. 

1 hour ago, floplag said:

Not at all, i dont really care whose in the owners box as long as he makes the effort to win.
Arte to date, at least in recent years, hasnt done that, but if he does ill be fine with it.
And before anyone asks, no, spending alone isnt trying to win when you leave gaps on the roster and the job incomplete.  

What does make you BIG MAD?

4 hours ago, Taylor said:

Being annoyed isn't the same as being big mad. Unless "annoyed" means something different in the motherland.

Ah, I see, but I'm still not entirely clear. Would one of these words describe it better; apoplectic; enraged; incensed; infuriated or furious; embittered; indignant; or just plain old angry?

1 hour ago, WicketMaiden said:

Ah, I see, but I'm still not entirely clear. Would one of these words describe it better; apoplectic; enraged; incensed; infuriated or furious; embittered; indignant; or just plain old angry?

Nope. "big mad" has no synonyms.

On 1/23/2023 at 5:23 PM, T.G. said:

He just went to hardware store to buy rope, duct tape and a machete 

Yeah, I put a photo of it in the random pics thread. Don't know what he was going to do with the Krispy Kreme donuts. though. Maybe give them to the cops when they stopped by to question him.

On 1/26/2023 at 5:17 PM, WicketMaiden said:

This is how I look at Moreno deciding to keep the team.

Let's say you finally get this date with a really hot chick. It's going well, so well you're at your place on the couch making out, her shirts is off and you got your fingers on the bra clasp when she moves away on the couch, puts her shirt back on and says, "I've got to go, I have to get up early for work tomorrow." Then you're ghosted. 

More confusion than anything else. That and blue balls. 

8 hours ago, Blarg said:

This is how I look at Moreno deciding to keep the team.

Let's say you finally get this date with a really hot chick. It's going well, so well you're at your place on the couch making out, her shirts is off and you got your fingers on the bra clasp when she moves away on the couch, puts her shirt back on and says, "I've got to go, I have to get up early for work tomorrow." Then you're ghosted. 

More confusion than anything else. That and blue balls. 

Nonplussed or discombobulated spring to mind. Either of those would work but aren't quite as entertaining as your description.

*(did you ever find out why she bailed?)

On 1/25/2023 at 11:33 AM, Chuckster70 said:

Coming back to this, admittedly I was disappointed but I'm also in wait and see mode before I get into overreaction, uber upset mode like most of the fanbase. 

I guess I'm hoping that something like this happened. 

Someone in PR during one of their internal meetings filled Arte in on all the hate & vitriol the fans have of him and after receiving that feedback and sleeping on it, he didn't want to leave a legacy of failure here since he himself is a fan of baseball and the Angels obviously.

Maybe he realized he needs to go out with a bang and win a championship before he's passes the torch to another ownership group so that he can retire comfortably with 2+ billion $$ but even more rewarding, he can look back as a winner and someone who didn't quit, bringing a World Championship back to Anaheim for the fans. 

I heard this, pretty much word for word.

On 1/26/2023 at 10:06 AM, ScottT said:

Renovation schmenovation.  The stadium needs to be replaced.  

Tim Mead has talked about it for years.  Fans don't even see most of the problems.  Any 50+ year old building is a rough scene.

You reach a point when trying to fix things makes no sense financially. The Yankees shut down the original Yankee Stadium and shared Shea Stadium with the Mets in 1974 and 1975 during renovation. They still eventually wound up tearing down the original ballpark. It bought them some time, but nothing more than that. With the way of the world, the longer you wait the higher the replacement cost.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan