• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Brett Phillips (1 year, $1.2 million), DFA Austin Warren

mmc

6 minutes ago, StandOutRealty said:

Question.... I thought Moniak was out of options and has to be in the big leagues this year

According to Fangraphs he has one more option. Adell, too. So it will probably take a lot for either to be called up. Adell, in particular, as they're less likely to want to risk losing him on waivers.

26 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

According to Fangraphs he has one more option. Adell, too. So it will probably take a lot for either to be called up. Adell, in particular, as they're less likely to want to risk losing him on waivers.

There is no risk to losing Adell to waivers this year, as they both have an option.  Players with options can be called up and sent back down as many times as needed per year, and it will only be considered "one option year."

The issue with Adell (and Moniak) will be next year, when both are out of options.

20 minutes ago, Lazorko Saves said:

Will Perry also mention his pitching?

"He's so feared on the mound, that he forces All Star level hitters to take up switch hitting for the first time when they face him..."

We can’t afford all these two way players, people notice that.

28 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

probably time to hire this guy.  Especially if he turns Phillips in to a good hitter.  

A couple years ago when the Angels were doing their GM search I think Recon asked what we would do if we were the GM.   I said invest in the infrastructure and analytics.   I should have also added coaching.

Whoever buys the Angels I hope they task Minasian or whoever is the GM go around hiring every quality coach they can find and pay them MLB dollars to coach anywhere and everywhere.

There is nothing to lose and everything to gain.

7 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

I dunno whether Phillips is gonna certainly learn to hit, but I've gone from meh, to really liking it. 

That's the kind of guy you want in the clubhouse. I like it a lot.  

Yep.  I mean you know, who knows how readily any of that translates into wins and losses.  But what is likely is it's more fun to come to work in a clubhouse with a guy like that than it isn't, and there is likely value in having fun with the people you work with.  And I think the worst case scenario with him is he is basically replacement value.  At 1.2mil, that's fine with me.

10 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Yep.  I mean you know, who knows how readily any of that translates into wins and losses.  But what is likely is it's more fun to come to work in a clubhouse with a guy like that than it isn't, and there is likely value in having fun with the people you work with.  And I think the worst case scenario with him is he is basically replacement value.  At 1.2mil, that's fine with me.

It's hard to measure, but mindset and emotional state do factor in to playing your best. Having a guy who brings those kind of vibes is never a bad thing. Feels like many of the most successful teams - especially ones that surprise people and weren't necessarily expected to be great - are ones with a good clubhouse energy.