• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Brett Phillips (1 year, $1.2 million), DFA Austin Warren

mmc

• mmc changed the title to Angels sign Brett Phillips (1 year)
  • mmc changed the title to Angels sign Brett Phillips (1 year, $1.2 million)

This is one of those terrifying signings only because I can see our org talking themselves in to letting this guy start games consistently if we get bitten by the injury bug. This signing is fine if he's a late inning defensive replacement, or starts every week or two. Anything more than that and this dude is a burden.

12 minutes ago, Don said:

This is one of those terrifying signings only because I can see our org talking themselves in to letting this guy start games consistently if we get bitten by the injury bug. This signing is fine if he's a late inning defensive replacement, or starts every week or two. Anything more than that and this dude is a burden.

There is no need for a defensive replacement with the regular three OF. Not even if Walsh is getting an occasional day in the OF. But if Urshela or Drury is out there, or even Fletcher, or Rengifo, then Maybe.

Edited by Hubs

Phillips is the perfect 4th outfielder but it's doubtful he gets regular time in the outfield if there's an injury to one of the regulars. I'm guessing Adell or Moniak will get the call and the majority of the time in the outfield should one of our core guys go down. 

This signing is fine.  Not exciting, but the whole idea we have had is to raise the floor.  He is fantastic defensively, and I can envision him being a late inning defensive replacement often, which is how you would maximize value.  Even if he isn't hitting, which appears to often be the case, he is a positive value player because of elite defense and speed.

This will enable Moniak and Adell to start in AAA.  I like Moniak much better as a 5th OF than as a 4th OF.

Our position players are set now, I would say.

Good defense and base running. Hope he doesn't start much, though. If there's an injury and Adell gets called up, Phillips will be a great defensive replacement. Otherwise, he'll mostly be an emergency guy or base runner, I'd assume. At that cost, easy to release him if someone else noticeably outplays him in Spring. 

1 minute ago, Pancake Bear said:

Good defense and base running. Hope he doesn't start much, though. If there's an injury and Adell gets called up, Phillips will be a great defensive replacement. Otherwise, he'll mostly be an emergency guy or base runner, I'd assume. At that cost, easy to release him if someone else noticeably outplays him in Spring. 

Yeah.  1.2mil is a minimal investment.  Ideally, if we need someone to start games in the OF for the purposes of player rest/etc, I'd like to see Walsh or Rengifo flexed out to the corners as opposed to seeing Phillips start.  I do think Phillips will probably start, though, when Trout needs a day off.  

• mmc changed the title to Angels sign Brett Phillips (1 year, $1.2 million), DFA Austin Warren