• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2023 Angels Predictions

BTH

11 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

Yeah. You're a Moreno type of fan. You like flashy signings. I'd suggest trying the Mets. You'll be much happier there.

I’ll like any signing that works. There is no doubt the angels have signed more dud superstars than most teams. That said I’ll take a front line ace and mvp over drury every year. 

47 minutes ago, Kotchman said:

I’ll like any signing that works. There is no doubt the angels have signed more dud superstars than most teams. That said I’ll take a front line ace and mvp over drury every year. 

They're spending $20 million more than they've ever spent before, and they have 3 pitchers who were in the top 30 starters last year. Seriously, do you even watch baseball?

@Kotchman I was in favor of selling off and rebuilding, in fact I'd say I still feel it's the best course of action. However, if you're not going to sell, improving the floor of the team the way Perry has is the way to go. 

A lot of things went wrong last year and they won 72 games. I'm not counting on their kick getting any better, but Anderson, Estevez, Renfroe, Urshela and Drury collectively created depth, which directly increases the floor of the team. 

I'm with you in a certain manner, I'm not convinced the Angels did enough to break that playoff threshold, but I think there's a very strong likelihood that this team wins around 85 games, give or take 3-4. 

But when you compare it to other teams. The Orioles, Red Sox, Blue Jays, Rays, Guardians, White Sox, Mariners and Rangers... They're all in the same boat. I can't confidently say any of those teams to are significantly better than the Angels. Maybe the Blue Jays but that's an argument for another time. 

What I'm trying to say is that the Angels are likely to be right in the thick of things, and the offseason isn't over yet. Perry might still surprise everyone. 

12 hours ago, Pancake Bear said:

They're spending $20 million more than they've ever spent before, and they have 3 pitchers who were in the top 30 starters last year. Seriously, do you even watch baseball?

Yes and the oddsmakers moved us to 15-16th to win it all. We’re a lock for the World Series. 

9 hours ago, Second Base said:

@Kotchman I was in favor of selling off and rebuilding, in fact I'd say I still feel it's the best course of action. However, if you're not going to sell, improving the floor of the team the way Perry has is the way to go. 

A lot of things went wrong last year and they won 72 games. I'm not counting on their kick getting any better, but Anderson, Estevez, Renfroe, Urshela and Drury collectively created depth, which directly increases the floor of the team. 

I'm with you in a certain manner, I'm not convinced the Angels did enough to break that playoff threshold, but I think there's a very strong likelihood that this team wins around 85 games, give or take 3-4. 

But when you compare it to other teams. The Orioles, Red Sox, Blue Jays, Rays, Guardians, White Sox, Mariners and Rangers... They're all in the same boat. I can't confidently say any of those teams to are significantly better than the Angels. Maybe the Blue Jays but that's an argument for another time. 

What I'm trying to say is that the Angels are likely to be right in the thick of things, and the offseason isn't over yet. Perry might still surprise everyone. 

I hope he does keep building and this is our best lineup on paper in years. I do believe we will be a borderline playoff team. My prediction is based on the fact that we don’t have a winning culture and we do have injury prone stars. A breakthrough season requires us to break some recent trends which is entirely possible. I just don’t see ot as a sure thing

On 1/1/2023 at 11:18 AM, Kotchman said:

I hope he does keep building and this is our best lineup on paper in years. I do believe we will be a borderline playoff team. My prediction is based on the fact that we don’t have a winning culture and we do have injury prone stars. A breakthrough season requires us to break some recent trends which is entirely possible. I just don’t see ot as a sure thing

I’m seriously optimistic about the offense.

4 hours ago, Revad said:

I’m seriously optimistic about the offense.

I like the offense overall. Could use another outfielder, I wish we had a real shortstop, and catcher makes me slightly nervous, but overall I'm pretty satisfied. All things considered, I think Perry did about as good as he could there. 

I'm really optimistic about our top five starters, but if there's injuries, it could get messy quickly, especially with the bullpen - which is where I'm really concerned. I don't have to squint too hard at this team to see a potentially really good roster, but even with an exceptional off-season (so far; still hoping for more 🤞), it could still easily fall apart. 

On the optimistic side of things, I think Detmers steps up and turns into a solid #2/3 starter type, O'Hoppe wins the starting catcher job outright fairly early in the season and posts an .800+ OPS, and Ward/Trout/Ohtani combine for 100+ HRs. Lots of other things I'm not as optimistic about, but all three of those predictions would contribute massively to this team having a winning season, and they all seem very much within the realm of possibility.

Speaking of predictions.... Remember this?   We had a contest to predict how many runs the Angels would score in 2022.... I think @Chuckster70 was even offering a prize...

968 - DucksFan_Drew93

913 - Angels_Domination22

900- Stradling

888 - wssamancave

871 - Hubs

862 - Torridd

852 - gurn67

851 - Dick Enberg

847- Homebrewer

844 - SoCalSportsFan

843 - Slegnaac

842 - Lou

840 - Chuck

835 - Revad

831 - HanfordGuy

828 - Cals

827 - AJ

825 - Angel Oracle

823 - HeavenlyHalos

822- Beatlesrule

821 - failos / OhtaniRule

820 - @Spirit

818 - Blarg

816 - Redondo

815 - IP

813- Halodground

810 - arch

801 - Dochalo

799 - @Taylor

791 - True Grich

784 - @AngelStew43

782 - Bloodbrother

772 - jsnpritchett

771 - nate

766 - tdawg

664 - disarcina

The Angels scored a whopping 623 runs.  Good for 25th place.  The most runs scored in 2022 was 847 (Dodgers).

7 minutes ago, T.G. said:

Speaking of predictions.... Remember this?   We had a contest to predict how many runs the Angels would score in 2022.... I think @Chuckster70 was even offering a prize...

968 - DucksFan_Drew93

913 - Angels_Domination22

900- Stradling

888 - wssamancave

871 - Hubs

862 - Torridd

852 - gurn67

851 - Dick Enberg

847- Homebrewer

844 - SoCalSportsFan

843 - Slegnaac

842 - Lou

840 - Chuck

835 - Revad

831 - HanfordGuy

828 - Cals

827 - AJ

825 - Angel Oracle

823 - HeavenlyHalos

822- Beatlesrule

821 - failos / OhtaniRule

820 - @Spirit

818 - Blarg

816 - Redondo

815 - IP

813- Halodground

810 - arch

801 - Dochalo

799 - @Taylor

791 - True Grich

784 - @AngelStew43

782 - Bloodbrother

772 - jsnpritchett

771 - nate

766 - tdawg

664 - disarcina

The Angels scored a whopping 623 runs.  Good for 25th place.  The most runs scored in 2022 was 847 (Dodgers).

Man I've been trying to giveaway free stuff via contests for years and we just never have a winner. 

On 12/31/2022 at 5:48 PM, Second Base said:

Predictions... Hmmm.

Rengifo and Fletcher actually turn into a productive and valuable shortstop/utility tandem. They'll play adequate defense and hit well in the bottom of the order, as long as they aren't expected to leadoff. 

Max Stassi and Matt Thaiss are the catchers to begin the year, with O'Hoppe in AAA. Neither is hitting well enough though and in mid-May, O'Hoppe tastes over as starting catcher and doesn't look back. By the end of the year, is mentioned with Rutschman and Kirk as the best young catchers in the AL.(Moreno and Davis in NL).

The Angels lineup is feared in the power department, but not in the OBP department. Renfroe, Urshela and Drury will all hit the ball with authority, but will also log an OBP under .310. 

Mike Trout stays healthy and leads the team with a .300 batting average and .420 OBP as well as 40 homers. 

Shohei manages .290 and 50 bombs as well as the best pitching performance of his career en route to another MVP selection. 

Suarez underperforms and is moved to the bullpen and no one really steps up to take his place in the rotation, it becomes a carousel of starters like Bush, Silseth and Canning.

The bullpen ends up being ok, but lacks consistency in the 8th and 9th inning. Eventually Chris's Rodriguez steps up and is closer, a role he flourishes in.

The Angels aren't good enough or bad enough to be clearly defined sellers or buyers at the deadline and are muddled in the middle of an improved Rangers team, an underperforming Seattle team as well as everyone in the AL East being competitive and literally no one in the AL Central separating themselves from mediocrity. It all comes down to the wire with six different teams in the AL all in that 84-87 win range. 

If this all happens, the last one will not. Even with the last two negative predictions. If O'Hoppe is among the best young catchers in the AL, Trout is healthy and has 40 and Ohtani 50 HR, and wins MVP, and Rengifo is a solid SS platoon, the Angels will win 90+.