• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2023 Angels Predictions

BTH

My fearless prediction is that the foursome of Ward, Trout, Ohtani, and Rendon stays healthy and they are the best 1-4 in the league. They combine for around 140 HR. They all play 145+ games.

Other predictions.

The 5-9 is mostly a platoon with Renfroe, Walsh/Drury, Drury/Urshela, Stassi/Thaiss/O'Hoppe, and Urshela/Rengifo/Fletcher does adequately, with Walsh returning to 2021 form but platooning against most lefties, Renfroe turning in a very similar numbers to his past 2 seasons at a low .800's OPS and 30 HR with 25 2B, Drury continuing his success from 2022 with similar numbers to Renfroe. Urshela plays a lot, at every position except C and CF. He also plays more shortstop than expected, but Rengifo starts against lefties and Fletcher gets the bulk of the AB's against righties. At C, O'Hoppe starts in AAA for the first two and half months, but then moves into the regular lineup as the starter for the final three. Stassi starts 2/5 games though, so it remains a platoon. He hits like in 2021, as well, so the platoon is very strong.

The rotation is solid, with 5 starters starting 25 games or more. The 6th spot begins as a rotation, but Canning eventually wins the job by August and makes 15 starts.

Angels win the World Series.

Ohtani signs mlb record extension before Spring Training.

The Angels set a franchise record for home runs with 240.

Renfroe has a career year and becomes a fan favorite with many clamoring to extend him.

Rendon plays 130 games with 25 homers and a .370 OBP.

Jo Adell drastically improves and gets himself into the lineup everyday in left.

Ward ends up playing over 100 games at first base.

The Angel bullpen becomes a huge success story, partially driven by two new promotions from the last couple of drafts that settle into reliable roles.

OHoppe plays 50+ games in the second half with a .725 OPS.

No individual player plays more than 80 games at SS, but the cumulative production offensively is acceptable at .235/.295/.390.

Angels win 90 games and reach the postseason as a wild card.  And yes they win it all.

Ohtani wins WS MVP with 2 wins in the mound and 6 homers in the series.

Edited by Dtwncbad

45 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Renfroe has a career year and becomes a fan favorite with many clamoring to extend him.

Jo Adell drastically improves and gets himself into the lineup everyday in left.

The Angel bullpen becomes a huge success story, partially driven by two new promotions from the last couple of drafts that settle into reliable roles.

No individual player plays more than 80 games at SS, but the cumulative production offensively is acceptable at .235/.295/.390.

Angels win 90 games and reach the postseason as a wild card.  And yes they win it all.

Oh-boy GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

57 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Sure Jan GIF - Sure Jan Brady GIFs

2 hours ago, Hubs said:

If this all happens, the last one will not. Even with the last two negative predictions. If O'Hoppe is among the best young catchers in the AL, Trout is healthy and has 40 and Ohtani 50 HR, and wins MVP, and Rengifo is a solid SS platoon, the Angels will win 90+.

Not if the back end of the rotation is a mess and the bullpen is inadequate.

2 hours ago, Second Base said:

Not if the back end of the rotation is a mess and the bullpen is inadequate.

You mean the 5th and 6th spots? I agree on the pen, but that's fixable in season, see 2002 Anaheim Angels Pen.  

If 1-4 (Ohtani, Anderson, Sandoval, Detmers)

Are dealing, and all have ERA's sub 3.5... 

I'll take my chances with run support being adequate enough to win half of the 5th and 6th rotation spots' starts. Which I think will only be around 45 games max. I believe they will try to get Ohtani, Anderson, and Sandoval to all have 30 starts or more, and Detmers to get at least 28. 

If they win 60% of the top 4 (118 games say = 71) , and 50% of the 5 and 6 spot games (22 of 44)...they'll finish with 90 wins+.

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

You mean the 5th and 6th spots? I agree on the pen, but that's fixable in season, see 2002 Anaheim Angels Pen.  

If 1-4 (Ohtani, Anderson, Sandoval, Detmers)

Are dealing, and all have ERA's sub 3.5... 

I'll take my chances with run support being adequate enough to win half of the 5th and 6th rotation spots' starts. Which I think will only be around 45 games max. I believe they will try to get Ohtani, Anderson, and Sandoval to all have 30 starts or more, and Detmers to get at least 28. 

"If they win 60% of the top 4 (118 games say = 71) , and 50% of the 5 and 6 spot games (22 of 44)...they'll finish with 90 wins+."

I think winning 50% of the games from the 5th and 6th starter is a pretty optimistic prediction.

10 minutes ago, Second Base said:

"If they win 60% of the top 4 (118 games say = 71) , and 50% of the 5 and 6 spot games (22 of 44)...they'll finish with 90 wins+."

I think winning 50% of the games from the 5th and 6th starter is a pretty optimistic prediction.

Ok, well, I have more faith in Suarez than you do after watching the first game of his turn around when I was in KC last year. I had great seats and he was absolutely dealing. Plus Silseth and Canning have shown that they can be successful if healthy. They also have Ky Bush and Mason Erla in AA. Davis Daniel, Ryan Kalish, Johnathan Diaz and other slotted for SLC. Not to mention Chris Rodriguez, Sam Bachman who've struggled with injuries. I'm not too high on Davidson, but the team is keeping him and Barria and Garza on the team. They won't be turning to minor league journeymen next year.

I think last years 27-17 team was a bit too overachieving of a result, but the 46-72 version thereafter was a bit too underachieving . 

Last year if you just look at Suarez's starts, Lorenzen's starts, Diaz, Toussaint, Davidson, Silseth, Mayers, and Janson Junk, did they win 50% of those starts?

They have a record of 3 or 4 games under .500, mainly due to Davdison, but the team played .418 baseball after that hot start. The hodgepodge here did actually match the good starters with an anemic offense.

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

Ok, well, I have more faith in Suarez than you do after watching the first game of his turn around when I was in KC last year. I had great seats and he was absolutely dealing. Plus Silseth and Canning have shown that they can be successful if healthy. They also have Ky Bush and Mason Erla in AA. Davis Daniel, Ryan Kalish, Johnathan Diaz and other slotted for SLC. Not to mention Chris Rodriguez, Sam Bachman who've struggled with injuries. I'm not too high on Davidson, but the team is keeping him and Barria and Garza on the team. They won't be turning to minor league journeymen next year.

I think last years 27-17 team was a bit too overachieving of a result, but the 46-72 version thereafter was a bit too underachieving . 

Last year if you just look at Suarez's starts, Lorenzen's starts, Diaz, Toussaint, Davidson, Silseth, Mayers, and Janson Junk, did they win 50% of those starts?

They have a record of 3 or 4 games under .500, mainly due to Davdison, but the team played .418 baseball after that hot start. The hodgepodge here did actually match the good starters with an anemic offense.

It's ok, you don't have to list the potential starters to me. I'm pretty familiar with them. 

That's an interesting look though, at what that collection of starters managed to do. It's still seems overly optimistic to expect a .500 record with the 5th and 6th starters. But anything can happen, particularly with run support. 

And yeah, Suarez can deal from time to time. Personally, I'm not sold just because he puts his infielders to sleep with his pace and now that the pitch clock is in place, he'll need to pick up the pace. The problem with that is...Suarez turned a corner when he learned to slow his pace down and keep his emotions in check, same with Sandoval. The difference is once Sandoval found his groove, his pace was sped up to a sustainable level even with the incoming clock. So he probably won't be too affected. But Suarez will. He'll need to change. 

So if Suarez can learn to succeed at a greater pace, he'll be good to go. But I'm skeptical.

4 hours ago, Second Base said:

And yeah, Suarez can deal from time to time. Personally, I'm not sold just because he puts his infielders to sleep with his pace and now that the pitch clock is in place, he'll need to pick up the pace. The problem with that is...Suarez turned a corner when he learned to slow his pace down and keep his emotions in check, same with Sandoval. The difference is once Sandoval found his groove, his pace was sped up to a sustainable level even with the incoming clock. So he probably won't be too affected. But Suarez will. He'll need to change. 

So if Suarez can learn to succeed at a greater pace, he'll be good to go. But I'm skeptical.

This is why I'm ok trading him. Either pair him and Rengifo to upgrade at SS or SP, or include prospects for a bigger deal. He's fine, but he's going to be an innings eater that has average numbers across that board. There's a lot of value in that, but we have a handful of guys coming up with higher ceilings than him. 

4 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

This is why I'm ok trading him. Either pair him and Rengifo to upgrade at SS or SP, or include prospects for a bigger deal. He's fine, but he's going to be an innings eater that has average numbers across that board. There's a lot of value in that, but we have a handful of guys coming up with higher ceilings than him. 

And you can do that, but it's like robbing Peter to pay Paul, you since one problems by creating another. 

If it were me, and surpassing the luxury tax wasn't as big of an issue, after signing one someone like Wacha to be the sixth starter, I would follow it up by creating a package involving Suarez and some of the middle infield surplus to try and pry one of Miami's starters loose. 

If it wasn't enough, oh well, I'd take my chances with Suarez. If it was, then the Angels rotation would be good enough and deep enough to sustain what I feel is the inevitable loss of Shohei Ohtani after next season. I know that's not exactly a popular outlook in these parts, but it's the truth. He's going to require a half billion and he wants to win and at that point you have to question the sanity of such an acquisition, or in the Angels case, extension. 

• 11 months later...
On 12/31/2022 at 6:48 PM, BTH said:

- Chase Silseth ends the season as the Angels best reliever.

- Zach Neto gets called up and is the starting SS by the end of the season.

- The new owner cleans house at the end of the season and a whole new regime is brought in.

sad.

On 1/5/2023 at 9:57 AM, Hubs said:

My fearless prediction is that the foursome of Ward, Trout, Ohtani, and Rendon stays healthy and they are the best 1-4 in the league. They combine for around 140 HR. They all play 145+ games.

Other predictions.

The 5-9 is mostly a platoon with Renfroe, Walsh/Drury, Drury/Urshela, Stassi/Thaiss/O'Hoppe, and Urshela/Rengifo/Fletcher does adequately, with Walsh returning to 2021 form but platooning against most lefties, Renfroe turning in a very similar numbers to his past 2 seasons at a low .800's OPS and 30 HR with 25 2B, Drury continuing his success from 2022 with similar numbers to Renfroe. Urshela plays a lot, at every position except C and CF. He also plays more shortstop than expected, but Rengifo starts against lefties and Fletcher gets the bulk of the AB's against righties. At C, O'Hoppe starts in AAA for the first two and half months, but then moves into the regular lineup as the starter for the final three. Stassi starts 2/5 games though, so it remains a platoon. He hits like in 2021, as well, so the platoon is very strong.

The rotation is solid, with 5 starters starting 25 games or more. The 6th spot begins as a rotation, but Canning eventually wins the job by August and makes 15 starts.

Angels win the World Series.

Wow was I way off. LOL. Way too optimistic.