• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rob Manfred: The Angels are hoping to be sold before Opening Day

mmc

56 minutes ago, Dollar Bill said:

All he said is that some people have been approved to see some financial data. That is the kind of data you would want to see in order to decide whether to bid. That's where we are.

So, conceivably, after this step - the prospective buyers would then submit a bid, right?  And then after that, are the buyers investigated in terms of financial viability (i.e., avoiding another McCourt), or is that step already "done"?

Bids may have been submitted already we don’t know. They aren’t saying anything. The team could have new owners Jan 1. They’ve literally said nothing since August.

And Goodell isn’t in on the talks. 

18 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Bids may have been submitted already we don’t know. They aren’t saying anything. The team could have new owners Jan 1. They’ve literally said nothing since August.

And Goodell isn’t in on the talks. 

Its amazing how well they are keeping this quiet considering how much things are leaked these days. I keep expecting my name to be leaked any day now. 

21 hours ago, Warfarin said:

So, conceivably, after this step - the prospective buyers would then submit a bid, right?  And then after that, are the buyers investigated in terms of financial viability (i.e., avoiding another McCourt), or is that step already "done"?

MLB does an initial background check before letting anyone see the books and then a more thorough financial viability investigation later -- not all parties choose to bid, or make a competitive bid.

3 hours ago, Dollar Bill said:

MLB does an initial background check before letting anyone see the books and then a more thorough financial viability investigation later -- not all parties choose to bid, or make a competitive bid.

Thanks Bill, greatly appreciate it.  Also enjoy reading your work at LAT.  Thanks for popping by and answering questions here 🙂 

8 hours ago, James said:

Its amazing how well they are keeping this quiet considering how much things are leaked these days. I keep expecting my name to be leaked any day now. 

I give the Angels a lot of credit for how they conduct business.  How many times have we seen their signings broken by their own Twitter account?  Rosenthal, Passan, etc rarely break Angel news before their own account does.

6 hours ago, Warfarin said:

I give the Angels a lot of credit for how they conduct business.  How many times have we seen their signings broken by their own Twitter account?  Rosenthal, Passan, etc rarely break Angel news before their own account does.

They are pretty tight-lipped around national reporters on signings/trades.

I’m not a fan of the tight-lipped theme around local reporters. I feel like fans get no insight. But I don’t know if that’s a product of the organization being tight-lipped or reporters focusing on reporting things after they happen and not looking to break news.

For example, it took a decade to find out about the technology lag under Dipoto’s regimes and Arte’s limitation of international signings.

My guess is that prospective buyers were getting together well before Arte announced to the general public that he was selling.  

Probably a couple of groups or individuals that have sort of had the inside track but MLB has to be transparent and open things up to as many suitors as possible.  At this point I'm sure everyone still involved is legit but mlb is likely the rate limiting step right now and for good reason.  The vetting process for every last dollar has to be beyond thorough.  One name with a less than savory background as to how they obtained their money could be a nightmare.   

6 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

My guess is that prospective buyers were getting together well before Arte announced to the general public that he was selling.  

Probably a couple of groups or individuals that have sort of had the inside track but MLB has to be transparent and open things up to as many suitors as possible.  At this point I'm sure everyone still involved is legit but mlb is likely the rate limiting step right now and for good reason.  The vetting process for every last dollar has to be beyond thorough.  One name with a less than savory background as to how they obtained their money could be a nightmare.   

Agreed.  Arte does not strike me as someone who would make that reveal to the public at first.  I'm sure he was already speaking with others about the possibility of selling to gauge his market, and then likely announced it as per required by the MLB for transparency.

I am optimistic that this indeed will be resolved by the start of the season.  Even if for some reason it is delayed, the key part for our purposes will be if this sale is done by next offseason, and I really can't see it being delayed to THAT extent.

22 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

You mean like Steve Cohen?  Or did anyone forget about the $1.8 billion fine his hedge fund paid for insider trading?

On 12/10/2022 at 6:45 AM, Warfarin said:

then likely announced it as per required by the MLB for transparency.

I am not aware of any requirement from mlb to be “transparent” to the public on an owner selling their team.

The owners are partners, so they all know what’s going on with a sale because the new owner needs to be approved by the other owners.

But transparency to the public?  We all want to know what’s going on but we are not entitled to any information about it.  

So I am not really sure what you are talking about?

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

It is curious that MLB approved him.

He is spending like a drunken sailor.

Who ever heard of being $100+ million over the threshold.

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Daily/Issues/2022/06/06/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/MLB-Tax.aspx

Figures compiled by MLB showed the Dodgers opened the season with "an all-time high" $310.6M payroll for purposes of the luxury tax and “are on track to pay a record tax" of nearly $47M.