• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rob Manfred: The Angels are hoping to be sold before Opening Day

mmc

33 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I would like Lacob.  Their group spent a lot to maximize the Warriors' championship window.  I think he would spend significantly to help this team, too.  Maybe not to Cohen-esque levels, but certainly above what we are seeing now, which would be most appreciated as a fan.

I also would like Lacob.

One other potential positive to him owning the team would be that he’ll likely be more hands-off, considering he’d be the owner of two different teams.

The Angels need a more hands-off owner, as we’ve seen how destructive a hands-on owner can be.

Edited by Trendon

47 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Again, just look at the Dodgers.  If somehow the McCourts stayed as owners, they would have been a laughingstock of a franchise for the last 10+ years.  

They were hardly anything to laugh at.  4 playoff appearances in 8 years.  Two LCS

2 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

Which would mean his net worth is far greater than $500m (unless he has debt on the team equal to what it would sell for, and I doubt that).

So it is likely the tweet is based on false information.

His net worth was estimated at 550M by Forbes in their most recent Business of Baseball write up last year -- He was said to have put in 400 Mil into the the purchase of the Marlins for a 46% stake.  There is also this 2021 article by the LA Times listing his net worth as 500 Mil.  https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2022-02-28/mlb-billionaire-team-owners-roster-2022-lockout

So what exactly are you basing your opinion that the tweet is based on false information?  

17 hours ago, Warfarin said:

It's a very real concern.  We can only hope we get a version of the Guggenheims / Cohen to take over.  If the Warriors ownership group takes over though, I think they would spend significantly to invest in the team.  But they're only one of the rumored groups .. 

My disdain/complete lack of faith in Manfred overrides any hope the next owner will be a Daddy Warbucks type.  

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

His net worth was estimated at 550M by Forbes in their most recent Business of Baseball write up last year -- He was said to have put in 400 Mil into the the purchase of the Marlins for a 46% stake.  There is also this 2021 article by the LA Times listing his net worth as 500 Mil.  https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2022-02-28/mlb-billionaire-team-owners-roster-2022-lockout

So what exactly are you basing your opinion that the tweet is based on false information?  

I said I didn’t know how much debt he had on the team, which is surely worth more than $500k.

But your additional information added makes it certain that the tweet is BS.

The tweet makes the snarky comment ignoring the net worth of the other 54% of ownership?

5 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

He's legit. He's been sharing his little birdies info with me in private on this one. 

Does said birdy need to report any of this to the city of Anaheim? I can reach out to the cities board members to see what I can get out of them. I meet with the city tomorrow to discuss something unrelated.

7 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

I said I didn’t know how much debt he had on the team, which is surely worth more than $500k.

But your additional information added makes it certain that the tweet is BS.

The tweet makes the snarky comment ignoring the net worth of the other 54% of ownership?

He doesn't own the other 54%.  

The Marlins are worth about a billion.   .46 x 1billion = 460 million.  

The tweet mentions the Mets Payroll and the net worth of Sherman.  

6 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

The tweet mentions the Mets Payroll and the net worth of Sherman.  

Yes the tweet mentions the Mets payroll and compares it to the personal net worth of a guy that owns less than half a team, ignoring the net worth of the other 54% of ownership.

Stupid.

Maybe he should have compared 46% of the Mets payroll to a personal net worth of a guy that owns 46% baseball team?  Even then it would be nothing more than a random contrived meaningless comparison. 

36 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Yes the tweet mentions the Mets payroll and compares it to the personal net worth of a guy that owns less than half a team, ignoring the net worth of the other 54% of ownership.

Stupid.

Maybe he should have compared 46% of the Mets payroll to a personal net worth of a guy that owns 46% baseball team?  Even then it would be nothing more than a random contrived meaningless comparison. 

he's the least wealthy of all the baseball owners.  

The thing that is most encouraging to me is that by as soon as April, we could have a very wealthy owner ready to spend. Which means willingness to take on contracts, invest in infrastructure, and spend spend spend (extensions? trades?). And if it's a smart owner like Lacob, even better. Lacob allowed his people to build and develop the franchise. They never shied away from paying the tax, taking care of their guys, and swinging for the fences in both trades and signings. He would be perfect. 

Either way, with a new owner we are going to suddenly be in on every major FA that we desire. There is money to spend and excitement to generate. No more of this fake "willingness to spend". Just money and empowering your GM. This is the last summer we have to question this and I'm very excited for it. 

7 hours ago, ThisismineScios said:

The thing that is most encouraging to me is that by as soon as April, we could have a very wealthy owner ready to spend. Which means willingness to take on contracts, invest in infrastructure, and spend spend spend (extensions? trades?). And if it's a smart owner like Lacob, even better. Lacob allowed his people to build and develop the franchise. They never shied away from paying the tax, taking care of their guys, and swinging for the fences in both trades and signings. He would be perfect. 

Either way, with a new owner we are going to suddenly be in on every major FA that we desire. There is money to spend and excitement to generate. No more of this fake "willingness to spend". Just money and empowering your GM. This is the last summer we have to question this and I'm very excited for it. 

Yep.  It is a huge if .. no one knows what kind of owner that will take over, but someone who is about to spend 2.5 billion on the team will likely, at the minimum, be willing to spend above the current levels we see, at least given the market we play in.

This team probably doesn't even need to engage in the "take on bad contracts to get good prospects" tactic, because the farm system is developing enough where we don't need to accelerate things IMO.  I do think Arte absolutely hired the right guy to build the farm system of this team (finally).  

What I would like the new owner to do is sign Ohtani, invest very heavily into the player development aspect of this team, and give the GM enough leeway to take some calculated gambles on the FA market.

By the start of next offseason, we could start seeing some of our young talent reach the MLB, thus getting a better idea of our needs moving forward.  Silseth, Bush, Neto, O'Hoppe, Soto (?), Bachman, Joyce, Murphy, Ingram, Paris .. some will pan out, some will not.  We should start getting a sense though by the start of the 2023/2024 offseason of which ones look like they can fill significant roles moving forward.