• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Shortstop candidates for the Halos

Swordsman78

11 minutes ago, Brandon said:

No need for a SS

"We do have some talent at shortstop, I will say that," Minasian said. "David Fletcher, when healthy, I think we’ve all seen what David Fletcher is when he’s healthy ... I think he’s going to have a way better year than he’s had the last two ... [Livan] Soto came up and played well. Velazquez came up and played really good defense, and we do think there’s upside to the bat."

lol when did he say this?

1 minute ago, Pancake Bear said:

Turner got 300. It was reported he left an offer for 342 on the table. Bogaerts got 280. I'm not saying it's impossible that Correa eclipses 350, but it would surprise me, simply because it's so far above the market. I think 350 is likely the upper limit for his contract. Wouldn't shock me to see it end up in the 330-340 range strictly based on what we're seeing in the market right now. 

Agreed.  Plus as stated he younger and better than Xander without a QO

12 minutes ago, Brandon said:

No need for a SS

"We do have some talent at shortstop, I will say that," Minasian said. "David Fletcher, when healthy, I think we’ve all seen what David Fletcher is when he’s healthy ... I think he’s going to have a way better year than he’s had the last two ... [Livan] Soto came up and played well. Velazquez came up and played really good defense, and we do think there’s upside to the bat."

I think the big moves are over. Hopefully there’s another RP or two that they will sign 

3 hours ago, CanadianHalo said:

lol when did he say this?

I think it was Sports Illustrated, but I can’t remember. During the hot stove I Google the team and read various articles, rumors, etc. 

It was next to an article about us trying to sign Contreras and I think a reporter asked Perry about SS and if the team was built to win or something like that. He gave a canned answer and this was a paragraph from it.

I just had to laugh at him talking like the position is one of strength or that we are solid there.

4 hours ago, Brandon said:

No need for a SS

Where in this did he say there is no need for an upgrade at SS? I think it's a pretty fair assessment of what he currently has.

28 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

If we sign a SS, it is almost a certainty that we’ll trade one, too. In that case, one or two of Soto, Rengifo, or Fletcher would be moved in a deal.

I don't see why this has to be true.  You acquire a SS to solidify your depth.  The acquired SS would join Rengifo and Fletcher on the MLB roster.  There is zero need to move Soto right now.  He would serve as the first guy called up (probably) if/when injury strikes.

It would make little senes to trade anyone in a position in which you are trying to strengthen.

5 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I don't see why this has to be true.  You acquire a SS to solidify your depth.  The acquired SS would join Rengifo and Fletcher on the MLB roster.  There is zero need to move Soto right now.  He would serve as the first guy called up (probably) if/when injury strikes.

It would make little senes to trade anyone in a position in which you are trying to strengthen.

Unless team trading SS wants one in return. 

1 minute ago, Angels 1961 said:

Unless team trading SS wants one in return. 

If a team is trading a good SS to us, the only kind of SS they would want in return would probably be a prospect, such as Neto.  I can't envision a team that trades us a SS (like Adames, for example) who would want Fletcher or Rengifo in return.  Soto likely does not move the needle at all in a trade.

59 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

If a team is trading a good SS to us, the only kind of SS they would want in return would probably be a prospect, such as Neto.  I can't envision a team that trades us a SS (like Adames, for example) who would want Fletcher or Rengifo in return.  Soto likely does not move the needle at all in a trade.

Nobody will take Fletcher's contract. Team might Soto along with others in trade for an Anderson.  I agree Neto would be one a team would want. 

Since I've been so far off on pretty much every free agent's contract so far, I'll go ahead and make another probably incorrect prediction.  

I think Swanson's price tag is gonna be fairly reasonable compared to what one would might expect relative to the contract's of the other big name guys.  Something like 6/120 and I think we'll hear the Angels involved at that number.  

I'm kinda getting myself to think that Perry is waiting him out a bit.  I could see Boston being our biggest competition once the dust settles from whatever Correa carnage occurs.  

6 hours ago, Warfarin said:

Depends who we're talking to. A stupid team might want Fletcher for "grit", and because he puts the ball in play, rarely strikes out, and plays good defense. A good team is likely to see him for what he is: A very solid utility player who provides plus defense at second base and has an okay bat. Probably not worth a lot, though.

With Rengifo, I'm extremely skeptical of the baseballtradevalues valuation. They seem to think he has very little value, and I find that hard to believe based on reports that teams are very interested in him. Doesn't mean, I think he has super high value, just that their valuation seems too low by a decent margin. 

That said you're right that any team trading a good shortstop is going to want something of more value in return. Probably would start with one of our good young pitchers and go up from there. 

4 hours ago, Pancake Bear said:

Depends who we're talking to. A stupid team might want Fletcher for "grit", and because he puts the ball in play, rarely strikes out, and plays good defense. A good team is likely to see him for what he is: A very solid utility player who provides plus defense at second base and has an okay bat. Probably not worth a lot, though.

With Rengifo, I'm extremely skeptical of the baseballtradevalues valuation. They seem to think he has very little value, and I find that hard to believe based on reports that teams are very interested in him. Doesn't mean, I think he has super high value, just that their valuation seems too low by a decent margin. 

That said you're right that any team trading a good shortstop is going to want something of more value in return. Probably would start with one of our good young pitchers and go up from there. 

It's interesting you mention that.  I was reading how there were basically no trades at all during the meetings, or really this offseason, and they somewhat attributed it to the FOs becoming more and more similar in terms of how players are evaluated.

Anyway, I digress.  My point was mainly, using the Brewers for example, if they are trading us Adames, they are assuredly doing it to cut payroll, which precludes Fletcher.  Rengifo has value, but I do think the Brewers would aim for prospects who are nearly ready or players who have maybe at most 1 year of service in the majors.  All that said, I don't think they are trading him right now, but rather I was just using him as an example.

What about a trade for Javier Baez?   He has a 10 team no trade clause, so not sure if Angels are on that.  But I don’t think Detroit is a great fit, he underperformed.   I think he could be had for very little if Angels take on most of his contract. 

38 minutes ago, Stradling said:

If we acquire a SS I’d kick the tires on a David Fletcher for Carlos Carrasco trade.  Eppler connection, they reduce payroll by a few bucks.  On that team Fletcher makes sense. 

That's like asking Verlander if he would trade Kate Upton for Rosie O'Donnell because it will allow him to get more sleep.