• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Future of Walsh?

Dtwncbad

On 11/19/2022 at 12:41 PM, Dtwncbad said:

The Angel offense was legitimately pathetic last year.  Things need to change to fix that problem.

Starting a conversation that considers targeting first base as an opportunity to make progress on improving the offense specifically considering Walsh’s limited success as a major leaguer at age 29, awful last year, and coming off a serious injury is not “hand-wringing” and “silly.”

The Angels must address the offense somewhere, and the last thing I want is for them to just roll along thinking everything “will be fine.”

You again show your hand with the predictable, knee jerk negative reaction to literally anything I post.

We get it.  You are a crabby old Eeyore.  Move along.

I understand what you're saying, but unlike Adell/Moniak (both I would give another chance) Walsh has had success. Maybe the injury was his issue. He deserves another shot.

On 11/19/2022 at 3:28 PM, Pancake Bear said:

Bringing Urshela in is probably the best move that Minasian could have realistically made to shore up concerns over corner infield. Both Rendon and Walsh are coming off injuries and Rendon hasn't played a full season since 2019. It just doesn't make sense with our budget to try to move on from either. If we're going to compete, you have to work from the assumption that Rendon probably needs a minimum of a day a week off and Walsh shouldn't be playing against lefties as a rule. That's the best case scenario. If either of those guys just isn't cutting it or gets injured again (or is nursing a mild injury they might otherwise play through) Urshela steps right in instead of Jack Mayfield or Phil Gosselin. That's a luxury we haven't had in quite some time and it's a really solid floor-raising move. I hope we bring in a shortstop, but won't be shocked if we don't. Where I'll be legit pissed off is if we still do nothing in left field or bring in someone who isn't really any better than Moniak.

What if we bring in a SS? Would that leave you OK with letting Adell/Moniak battle it out?

On 11/19/2022 at 9:08 AM, Second Base said:

Personally, I think Walsh came in scorching hot after an adjustment he made in September 2020, and it continued into the following season for April, May and June. Then word got out, pitchers adjusted and he's been on a downhill slope ever since. 

The ultimate indicator of MLB success is how quickly a player adjusts. Trout adjusts faster than anyone I've ever seen. Ohtani too. Then their natural ability takes over. 

Walsh, doesn't adjust quickly, if at all. I think he's played his hand, became a major leaguer and an all-star, more than anyone thought he'd do. And now I think he is what he is at this point. .250/.310 and 20-25 HR's if he plays a full season. 

After the .543 OPS in July 2021 though, for the next 5 months through June 2022 only once did he have a sub .750 OPS for the month (.660 in April 2022).   The other four months saw .750, .796, .852, and .929.

Seems like the injury may have been part of the cause for the bad July and August in 2022?

On 11/20/2022 at 5:25 PM, Torridd said:

What if we bring in a SS? Would that leave you OK with letting Adell/Moniak battle it out?

Already have Neto and Soto nearby for SS soon, but don’t have any true OF prospects close to ready, outside of a maybe (Cabbage).

Better to go with a combo of Fletcher, Urshela, and Squid to get the SS starts in 2023; and then bring in a FA OF like Haniger, Benetendi, or Conforto on a 2-3 year contract.