• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2022-23 Offseason Hot Stove Thread

mmc

I don't think Eovaldi puts them ahead of the Angels. They were not very good last year, and while they've added pitching, they were significantly worse than they're pythagorean expected win totals.

77-85 was what 707 runs scored and 743 runs allowed gets you.

Angels only scored 623 runs. But only allowed 668.

They also underperformed their expected win total of 76-86.

Both teams have upgraded, Rangers adding much needed pitching and Angels added several new mid range players on both sides.

Their lineup however, isn't really impressive. I don't know who hits where, but 

C Heim, 1B Lowe, 2B Semien, SS Seager, 3B Jung, LF Thompson, CF Tavares, RF Garcia, DH Garver...

Angels arguably have better offense at every position except SS. Some aren't even close.

Lowe is their best hitter from 2022, and Seager should be. They don't have any depth either.

Edited by Hubs

32 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Understanding health is a concern, but the Rangers' pitching depth is stupid deep. 

They're in a good position to trade for someone like Reynolds or another outfield top bat. 

To me, the Rangers can sneak up quick on the Angels if they get another bat/bullpen arm

I wouldn't say that here. People will think you hate the Angels. 

Just now, Hubs said:

I don't think Eovaldi puts them ahead of the Angels. They were not very good last year, and while they've added pitching, they were significantly worse than they're pythagorean expected win totals.

77-85 was what 707 runs scored and 743 runs allowed gets you.

Angels only scored 623 runs. But only allowed 668.

They also underperformed their expected win total of 76-86.

Both teams have upgraded, Rangers adding much needed pitching and Angels added several new mid range players on both sides.

Their lineup however, isn't really impressive. I don't know who hits where, but 

C Heim, 1B Lowe, 2B Semien, SS Seager, 3B Jung, LF Thompson, CF Tavares, RF Garcia, DH Garver...

Angels arguably have better offense at every position. Some aren't even close.

Lowe is their best hitter from 2022, and Seager should be. They don't have any depth either.

or what's in their BP

6 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I am pretty sure you already are on record saying they wouldn’t do anything this off season.  

Yes. I said they may make a few minor moves but not the big splash people were hoping for. I don’t think the Halos were that far off from being contenders as it seemed like their lack of depth is what really hurt them. I think they’ve improved that a bit this off season so I’m fine with them not wasting resources on moves that only marginally improve them 

If the Angels want another starter, the quality in free agency is now gone and they should pivot to the trade market and aim higher than the likes of Eovaldi/Kluber/Greinke/Cueto.

Repeating an earlier post, if Pablo Lopez is really available, then pursue him aggressively.

He would be a much better acquisition than landing one of what was left in free agency.

12 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Concur on the Zack’s not improving the Halos.

Wacha and Fulmer could though, if they can get them for one season and stay under the tax threshold.

Still would prefer Cueto to Wacha though.

Need one righty starter and one righty setup man.

I'd rather get two BP arms and give the 6th (really 5.5 starter) job to Canning, or Silseth, or Rodriguez.

1 minute ago, Angels 1961 said:

You cannot count on Canning or Chris. If healthy that would just be extra icing on the cake.

They're planning on starting Ohtani 32-33 times, Anderson the same

And Sandova probably the same or between 30-32.

Thats 94-99 starts, Suarez and Detmers hopefully get 24-27 each. That's 142-153 starts. Leaving somewhere between 9 and 20 for the #6 starter(s).

Depth would be nice, but I think health is better. So getting 4-10 starts out of each of Canning and Silseth is fine by me. Or by C-Rod, if he isn't in the pen. Even if it means Garza, Barria, Daniel, and Davidson get a few here and there.

You have 5 solid starters. Adding two more pen arms (Bradey, Reyes, Chachin) to make the pen better is a better use of resources.

Who are they doing this planning. That would be great if all stayed healthy all year. What are chances of that? Ohtani made 28 starts last year and if he made that many this that would be great. Same with Sandoval, Anderson and Detmers. Halos are looking and will have a 6th starter. I think it is coming via trade.