• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Phil Nevin to a one year deal

mmc

2 minutes ago, Revad said:

Hmmm.  It makes sense but also happens to be inexpensive.  This maybe a sign of a quiet off-season.

I fear that you may be right. The winter meetings aren't that far away, and we will have a GM who is unsure of his future with the club and any sale won't be completed that quickly. This doesn't bode well for having any shot at retaining Ohtani either. 

Just now, Vegas Halo Fan said:

I fear that you may be right. The winter meetings aren't that far away, and we will have a GM who is unsure of his future with the club and any sale won't be completed that quickly. This doesn't bode well for having any shot at retaining Ohtani either. 

As long as a new owner is in place when Ohtani reaches free agency, and as long as he commits to spending to building a winner, I think it’ll be fine.  We just need new ownership to take over within a year.

Just now, Warfarin said:

Why?

This move screams “transition year.”  The team is for sale.  It makes sense to avoid any commitment beyond one year for, well, anyone.

If you're Ohtani and a young manager has a good rookie season and leads the team to the playoffs in 2023, you might stay because there is upside.

Now you have uncertainty and a new owner, possibly a new GM and likely a new manager again, cuz Phil is terrible and moreover, he's not signed into 2024, so even in the unlikely even that he's good, he could also bolt for another better paying job.

1 minute ago, mmc said:

There's absolutely no way anyone can possibly think whatever gap separates Nevin from whatever external candidate we can get who is willing to manage a team with an impending sale is the difference between us making or missing the playoffs in 2023 or keeping Ohtani lmao

Evidently one person here thinks that.

It's not just that it's Nevin, I think he sucks but whatever. It's the one year deal, that coincides perfectly with Ohtani's free agency. There is no stability. A new owner, ok, you can deal with that. But now the team is in limbo.

11 minutes ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

Understandable. Transition year while the team is in a sale process. 

Yep. This had to be expected. We won't see any big changes at GM or at manager until the new ownership is in place and they can then choose their own guys for those roles

The main question is what will the offseason look like. Will the Angels spend in FA or hold off on that as well so as to not saddle the new group with some big money commitments outside of their current core

Just now, Hubs said:

It's not just that it's Nevin, I think he sucks but whatever. It's the one year deal, that coincides perfectly with Ohtani's free agency. There is no stability. A new owner, ok, you can deal with that. But now the team is in limbo.

It doesn't matter how long Nevin is signed for, there'd be instability regarding the manager regardless.  We have no clue who our new ownership will want to manage the team.

1 minute ago, bloodbrother said:

Yep. This had to be expected. We won't see any big changes at GM or at manager until the new ownership is in place and they can then choose their own guys for those roles

The main question is what will the offseason look like. Will the Angels spend in FA or hold off on that as well so as to not saddle the new group with some big money commitments outside of their current core

My guess is they'll either keep costs the same or even look to cut some costs (operationally or by offloading a contract or two). New ownership usually has a very specific way they want to do things so unless the deal is in the final stages during free agency and the new ownership group is directing Perry on moves, I don't expect much.