• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Phil Nevin to a one year deal

mmc

37 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Maddon would've made the playoffs. 

That’s the stupidest thing I’ve ever read on this website.

So Maddon would’ve turned Kurt Suzuki, Phil Gosselin, Jared Walsh, Jose Rojas, Tyler Wade, Jonathan Villar, Juan Lagares, Jack Mayfield, Magneuris Sierra, Jo Adell, David MacKinnon, Ryan Aguilar, Steven Duggar, Aaron Whitefield, Michael Stefanic, and Chad Wallach from below replacement levels players into a quality supporting cast for a team that lost Trout and Rendon to injuries?

2 hours ago, mmc said:

What's more important than anything is whether or not this was what Minasian wanted to do.  The most important thing we need, moreso than whatever a "big name" manager can provide on paper, is for the coaching staff and the front office to be on the same page

Agreed.

But I’m not sure we’ll know the answer to that.

Nevin being retained implies that he and Perry worked seamlessly, but this could’ve been Arte’s decision for all we know.

6 minutes ago, Trendon said:

That’s the stupidest thing I’ve ever read on this website.

So Maddon would’ve turned Kurt Suzuki, Phil Gosselin, Jared Walsh, Jose Rojas, Tyler Wade, Jonathan Villar, Juan Lagares, Jack Mayfield, Magneuris Sierra, Jo Adell, David MacKinnon, Ryan Aguilar, Steven Duggar, Aaron Whitefield, Michael Stefanic, and Chad Wallach from below replacement levels players into a quality supporting cast for a team that lost Trout and Rendon to injuries?

cartman | GIF | PrimoGIF

The reasons for keeping Nevin make more sense long-term than short-term.

Having a manager on a one year deal gives the new ownership group more flexibility to do what they wish.

Also, it wouldn’t be a good look for the organization to have five different managers within six seasons.

4 minutes ago, Trendon said:

Agreed.

But I’m not sure we’ll know the answer to that.

Nevin being retained implies that he and Perry worked seamlessly, but this could’ve been Arte’s decision for all we know.

I think that might be taking it too far.  It's possible that they did, but I will continue to say that Nevin being retained for next year is simply the most logical and easiest decision to make from a business standpoint, given that Moreno is selling the team.  I think, at most, you can maybe take this as a sign that Nevin and Minasian don't hate each other, but reading anything more into it in terms of how they function together probably isn't that wise.

2 hours ago, Hubs said:

And for the record, if you just disagreed with me, we could have a discussion, but you constantly insult my intelligence, and that's what ticks me off. I've been posting here for 19 seasons, and you've been here for one. You do this to others too, which is why you're a troll and deserve to be banned. 

godfather nevin.jpg

3 hours ago, Hubs said:

It's not just that it's Nevin, I think he sucks but whatever. It's the one year deal, that coincides perfectly with Ohtani's free agency. There is no stability. A new owner, ok, you can deal with that. But now the team is in limbo.

When Arte announced he was trading team it entered limbo. NOTHING repeat NOTHING major will happen this off season. Trea Turner, Jose Abreu, Verlander, Judge any other top FA are NOT signing with Angels. Maybe a Lorenzen but even that probably not going to happen. Arte will keep as much money as he can. 2023 will see more kids come up and play. Hopefully Ohtani is not traded, and Rendon stays healthy. Lineup may be decent. Young lefty starters with Ohtani will be fine but I see very little additions this winter.

Just now, Hubs said:

Sorry, I am grumpy anyway, bad night sleep, then had dental work, and then this crap. 

And lets stop with the personal attacks. I mean honestly, you all don't agree. I am not some idiot or mentally deficient. I disagree with this move, I think Maddon was a much better manager, and I don't care that they had better health. Trout played more games under Maddon, sure, but Fletcher was mostly gone. Rendon wasn't lighting it up with the bat under Maddon anyway.

But the team was at one point, 27 and 17. Then he had a bit of a losing streak, which included 4 one runs games.

He's the second manager with front office ties and the second to have a below 74 win pace. 

I don't see the appeal, at all. They had time to do this, they didn't need to rush into it without knowing what else was out there.

2 minutes ago, Slegnaac said:

Walsh -- All Star Last year

MacKinnon 

Mayfield

Lagares 

Harrison 

Stassi - Good with the bat last year, sucks under Nevin.

Suzuki 

Sierra

Villar

Wallach

Aguilar

Rojas

Gosselin 

Wade - Did great under Maddon.

Adell

But yes I get your point

4 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I don't see the appeal, at all. They had time to do this, they didn't need to rush into it without knowing what else was out there.

Again, you seem to simply be unable to understand that Moreno and/or the front office don't CARE who will be available to manage.  It does not make business sense to bring in another manager with the impending sale looming over the franchise.  Period.  I don't think many people here believe Nevin to be some magical savior or some brilliant tactician--but he's a guy who's familiar with the players who'll be back next year and he's not going to rock the boat.  From a business standpoint, that's what you want heading into an uncertain season.  If the new owner wants to clean house, it's easier to do now with Nevin only on a one-year deal.  And, hey, if the team plays well next year and the players seem to like Nevin--great!  The new owner can always extend him. 

15 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Again, you seem to simply be unable to understand that Moreno and/or the front office don't CARE who will be available to manage.  It does not make business sense to bring in another manager with the impending sale looming over the franchise.  Period.  I don't think many people here believe Nevin to be some magical savior or some brilliant tactician--but he's a guy who's familiar with the players who'll be back next year and he's not going to rock the boat.  From a business standpoint, that's what you want heading into an uncertain season.  If the new owner wants to clean house, it's easier to do now with Nevin only on a one-year deal.  And, hey, if the team plays well next year and the players seem to like Nevin--great!  The new owner can always extend him. 

Agree to disagree.