• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Phil Nevin to a one year deal

mmc

2 hours ago, Hubs said:

And Phil is 14 games under .500 entering today.

You try managing a team to success for a half a season that is mostly without their star player (Trout), their stud 3B (Rendon), and a broken and hurt Walsh & Ward, while Stassi provided negative value and Fletcher was out for most of Nevin's managerial tenure as well. 

32 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Oh come on Hubs. I'm not a Nevin fan but Ohtani is going to base his decision on dollars first, team make-up second and about 9th will be an interim manager after post game spread.

You honestly don't think the manager he plays for has anything to do with where he plays? Seriously?

Dollars first. Comfort and Stability second. This reeks of instability, and that will cost us Ohtani. 

2 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

You try managing a team to success for a half a season that is mostly without their star player (Trout), their stud 3B (Rendon), and a broken and hurt Walsh & Ward, while Stassi provided negative value and Fletcher was out for most of Nevin's managerial tenure as well. 

Maddon would've made the playoffs. Sorry, but Nevin did a terrible terrible job and was in way over his head. 

5 minutes ago, Hubs said:

You honestly don't think the manager he plays for has anything to do with where he plays? Seriously?

Dollars first. Comfort and Stability second. This reeks of instability, and that will cost us Ohtani. 

And signing yet another manager will equal stability?  He’s had four managers in five years 

7 minutes ago, Hubs said:

How many managers has Trout played for?

Just now, jsnpritchett said:

Ok, I've been trying to be understanding of your stance in this thread, but now you've truly gone off the deep end.

Sorry you disagree. But I'm not off the deep end. Maddon managed the same group of players to a 27-28 record. Ohtani wasn't hitting and while Trout was there, he also missed some time. Ward had come down to earth. The pitching was worse.

The starting pitching was better under Nevin, but I'd argue that was experience and shaking off the rust for the young guys. 

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

And signing yet another manager will equal stability?  He’s had four managers in five years 

It will be 5 in 6 if he comes back in 24 with a new manager. And yet a new direction. 

It's likely that in midseason, there is a new owner, new gm, and that after the season they're looking for a new manager and a new DH. 

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

No fucking way. None. Zero. You are too smart to hold this bad of an opinion. 

Well thank you, but yeah, I'm sorry, the firing was a bad decision. I firmly believe he would've turned things around in June, quicker than Nevin did. He had this team firing on all cylinders in April, and I haven't seen that under Nevin in 4 months. 

Just now, Hubs said:

Well thank you, but yeah, I'm sorry, the firing was a bad decision. I firmly believe he would've turned things around in June, quicker than Nevin did. He had this team firing on all cylinders in April, and I haven't seen that under Nevin in 4 months. 

He’s not a 13 game better manager in 106 games. No living manager is. That’s nonsense. Part of why you haven’t seen that with Nevin is Trout has played in 63 of 106 games with Nevin versus 51 of 56 with Maddon.  And Rendon played in 41 of 56 games with Maddon and 6 with Nevin. Oh and they traded their closer, left fielder and #4 starter. 

22 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Seriously managers come and go and probably Nevin before the Angels negotiate any extended contract and several more throughout the league are getting fired. 

Go ahead and find me all the interviews of players saying they are looking for a specific manager to play for. Good luck with that, this isn't basketball where the star player picks the head coach. 

18 minutes ago, Hubs said:

"Pffft, had they just ignored the stats guys and checked out my mohawk, playoffs all the way" -- Joe Maddon after reading the Athletic article on Nevin.