• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Phil Nevin to a one year deal

mmc

Just now, jsnpritchett said:

I'm genuinely surprised that anyone thought that this WOULDN'T be what happened.  It makes zero sense from either the Angels' side or a potential new manager's perspective to bring in someone new until the ownership situation is resolved.

I hoped they had more sense. A three year deal for a young manager shows commitment, and that they think he's the guy. This is a gap year. 

If it wasn't a 3 year deal for an experienced winning guy like Bochy, Scioscia or Girardi, then a young guy like Erstad or Salmon or heck even someone like Rojas...better than a guy that just went 12-14 games under .500.

2 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I'm genuinely surprised that anyone thought that this WOULDN'T be what happened.  It makes zero sense from either the Angels' side or a potential new manager's perspective to bring in someone new until the ownership situation is resolved.

True but having a decent August and September has made it easier to do....

1 minute ago, Hubs said:

I hoped they had more sense. A three year deal for a young manager shows commitment, and that they think he's the guy. This is a gap year. 

If it wasn't a 3 year deal for an experienced winning guy like Bochy, Scioscia or Girardi, then a young guy like Erstad or Salmon or heck even someone like Rojas...better than a guy that just went 12-14 games under .500.

I just think that's completely unrealistic, given the situation.  There's no reason for Moreno to give a young manager a three-year deal when he's dumping the team--and there's no reason for a young manager to take the opportunity.

I just think that's completely unrealistic, given the situation.  There's no reason for Moreno to give a young manager a three-year deal when he's dumping the team--and there's no reason for a young manager to take the opportunity.

Young manager isn't expensive. I'd hoped Moreno would bring back Scioscia as we didn't know what we had there but financially it probably wasn't gonna happen.

Just now, Hubs said:

Young manager isn't expensive. I'd hoped Moreno would bring back Scioscia as we didn't know what we had there but financially it probably wasn't gonna happen.

Why would they want to come here when in a year, a new owner might go in a different direction vs going to a team they know they will believe in them long term?

Just now, mmc said:

Why would they want to come here when in a year, a new owner might go in a different direction vs going to a team they know they will believe in them long term?

Or maybe they'd take an opportunity for a top payroll team and believe they can lead the team to success?

Having a young manager under a cheap contract isn't a sunk cost, it's also cost stability.

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

I don't think signing a young manager to a three year deal is going to make any potential buyer or player think -- OMG!!! Look at that stability!! -- not after churning through three managers in four years.  If anything I'd read it as - "oh man, they are just throwing shit at the wall."

2 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I loved MS.  Why would someone that did all he did, want to be a placeholder?   You are trying to make the illogical seem sensible because you wanted a different outcome.  

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I don't think signing a young manager to a three year deal is going to make any potential buyer or player think -- OMG!!! Look at that stability!! -- not after churning through three managers in four years.  If anything I'd read it as - "oh man, they are just throwing shit at the wall."

True, but it might keep Ohtani from leaving.

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

I loved MS.  Why would someone that did all he did, want to be a placeholder?   You are trying to make the illogical seem sensible because you wanted a different outcome.  

I also loved MS and have hated the direction they've gone with two of their three manager picks. I also firmly believe Maddon would've had a better result than Nevin did. And now I think we'd better get used to the through of Ohtani in a Mariners or Dodgers uniform.

Yes I wanted a different result, that's obvious, but there was simply zero reason to make him a lame duck, and also to not explore other options in the offseason.

1 minute ago, Hubs said:

True, but it might keep Ohtani from leaving.

As far as Ohtani goes -- I've been saying for long before this season started that the only way he sticks around is if he really likes it here, and the team starts winning.  He's already had to make the decision to leave a place dear to his heart and coaches he was fond of once.  He doesn't have the same ties to the org that Trout does.  

I don't know how feels about the Angels, but I know the Angels haven't given him any reason to stay and I'm pretty sure his biggest fans would still be his fans regardless of where he plays.

I also loved MS and have hated the direction they've gone with two of their three manager picks. I also firmly believe Maddon would've had a better result than Nevin did. And now I think we'd better get used to the through of Ohtani in a Mariners or Dodgers uniform.

Yes I wanted a different result, that's obvious, but there was simply zero reason to make him a lame duck, and also to not explore other options in the offseason.

I think you're bringing in emotion here or being overly subjective (it happens to all of us at times).  If you take a step back and look at the situation from Moreno's standpoint, this is really the only sensible business decision.

Just now, Inside Pitch said:

As far as Ohtani goes -- I've been saying for long before this season started that the only way he sticks around is if he really likes it here, and the team starts winning.  He's already had to make the decision to leave a place dear to his heart and coaches he was fond of once.  He doesn't have the same ties to the org that Trout does.  

I don't know how feels about the Angels, but I know the Angels haven't given him any reason to stay and I'm pretty sure his biggest fans would still be his fans regardless of where he plays.

I just think a new young manager with a winning record means that the Angels have something in place that makes them a contender for his services, but with Minasian also likely to get the boot with a new manager and my lack of faith in Phil, I think 23 is gonna be more of the same, and that means he's as good as gone.

I think you're bringing in emotion here or being overly subjective (it happens to all of us at times).  If you take a step back and look at the situation from Moreno's standpoint, this is really the only sensible business decision.

Ok, thank you for this. I am because it's like the worst decision I can see. And I think it's gonna spiral. 

I can hope I guess that they get the ownership straight quickly and a new guy with baseball ties is brought in to run the front office, like Epstein. And then he can replace the manager before the season starts.

I think Maddon was the biggest obstacle there was.  I fully believe he painted Minasian into a corner prior to last off-season.  I'd wager a great deal he was the reason the defensive positioning was as awful as it was those first two years and that those decisions hurt the team much more than any of his witticisms ever helped.   And we can all see from reading everything he's said since being canned that the man was not on board with baseball as it's played today and he was in conflict with the front office.  

Just now, Hubs said:

Ok, thank you for this. I am because it's like the worst decision I can see. And I think it's gonna spiral. 

I can hope I guess that they get the ownership straight quickly and a new guy with baseball ties is brought in to run the front office, like Epstein. And then he can replace the manager before the season starts.

If that's your hope, I think you're setting yourself up for even greater disappointment, unfortunately.

7 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I think Maddon was the biggest obstacle there was.  I fully believe he painted Minasian into a corner prior to last off-season.  I'd wager a great deal he was the reason the defensive positioning was as awful as it was those first two years and that those decisions hurt the team much more than any of his witticisms ever helped.   And we can all see from reading everything he's said since being canned that the man was not on board with baseball as it's played today and he was in conflict with the front office.  

Agree to disagree.

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

This move cost us Ohtani. 

This will go down as the dumbest decision in recent Angels history.

Oh come on Hubs. I'm not a Nevin fan but Ohtani is going to base his decision on dollars first, team make-up second and about 9th will be an interim manager after post game spread.

I’m not going to pretend I know what goes on behind the scenes but Trout has spoken highly of Nevin, and that matters, imo. He seems to have a better grasp of bullpen management and the team has seemed to have played better later into the season. He did have garbage on the roster most of the season so it’s hard to judge him based on the W-L record. 

With that said, hard to not get the sense this will be a transition year. All the needs this roster has probably won’t be met. Hopefully Minasian can be creative and get a LF, 1st baseman, and bullpen help in here. Otherwise, Ohtani is gone. 

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

Why?

This move screams “transition year.”  The team is for sale.  It makes sense to avoid any commitment beyond one year for, well, anyone.

I don’t disagree with this comment at all. Yes, there is uncertainty with the team being up for sale. 

However it doesn’t mean they can’t have a successful season next year. 
There are reasons to be optimistic about the team next year. 
When ever you have Ohtani and Trout on your roster that’s a great start, then the young arms on the pitching side. 
Also the development of players like Ward and Rengifo.

Then let’s see what O’Hoppe, Soto, Adell and Moniak can turn into. 

I’m not throwing in the towel on next year!