• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mark Trumbo isn't that good

Scott34

There I said it.  I know he was born in Anaheim, I know he hits 450 foot home runs, I know he is home grown.  But let's face it.  .810-.830 OPS 1B/RF pretty much grow on trees these days.  His defense is average.

He's also entering his arb years, $$$ is about to increase.

I say: If you can get 2 or so B+ starting pitcher prospects for him, do it.

I disagree with your assessment. Mark is good and has grown and improved every year. That said, he is not a premium trade asset and unless there was a team desperate for a bench/DH type player, getting any pitchers with value in return is unlikely.

There I said it.  I know he was born in Anaheim, I know he hits 450 foot home runs, I know he is home grown.  But let's face it.  .810-.830 OPS 1B/RF pretty much grow on trees these days.  His defense is average.

He's also entering his arb years, $$$ is about to increase.

I say: If you can get 2 or so B+ starting pitcher prospects for him, do it.

I think you are undervaluing him.  His defense is average, but he can play RF/1B which lends value in versatility.  His OPS will end around .850 and that's pretty darn good. 

I think you are undervaluing him.  His defense is average, but he can play RF/1B which lends value in versatility.  His OPS will end around .850 and that's pretty darn good. 

Will it?

Also, 1B/RF with basically 2 tools aren't too uncommon

Trumbo has ridiculous power and he's starting to show a lot better plate discipline/is taking walks this year. He's swinging at far fewer pitches out of the zone and is just way more patient and selective at the plate. He already has been worth 2 WAR in a half a season. That's a 4-WAR pace over a full season. Saying players like Trumbo grow on trees (at least if you're looking at what he has done this year) is simply flat-out inaccurate. And he is showing a legit improvement in certain aspects of his game, not an artificial one.

If the Angels trade him, they better be getting something worth it.

The "blowup" logic escapes me.  Whatever they do, they're still stuck with the Albert Pujols and Hamilton.  So lets go get some new faces to surround the multi-millionaire underachievers?   Pujols is a shadow of what he was and Hamilton is a serious head case.  No amount of "blowup", or trading what little actual talent the Angels have (like Trumbo) will change this.  There is no easy (or quick) solution to the hole this team has dug.

Will it?

Also, 1B/RF with basically 2 tools aren't too uncommon

It will be between .800 and .850 for certain.  I think it will be closer to .850 than .800

And..as Lifetime mentioned...there isnt a lot of people with that slash line that can play RF/1B competently.  That versatility is worthwhile.

The "blowup" logic escapes me.  Whatever they do, they're still stuck with the Albert Pujols and Hamilton.  So lets go get some new faces to surround the multi-millionaire underachievers?   Pujols is a shadow of what he was and Hamilton is a serious head case.  No amount of "blowup", or trading what little actual talent the Angels have (like Trumbo) will change this.  There is no easy (or quick) solution to the hole this team has dug.

A half-ass blowup isn't going to do anything. A true blowup would involve using Trout as bait to move Hamilton, and Pujols in a gigantic multi-team blockbuster trade. Then deal EVERY player making more than league minimum for future prospects.

Note I don't think we should do a blowup, but there aren't really any good options. Most likely the team will be expensive and mediocre like the Cubs for the next 5+ years.

He's pretty good.  His plate discipline has improved. He has walked almost as many times this year as he did last year. I now expect it to improve more, which should help him maintain his production. A 128 OPS+ is nothing to sneeze it.  The only guy the Angels have above High-A that has a decent shot at matching that is Kole Calhoun.

This team shouldn't be blown up.  I can see trading one or two pieces like Trumbo or Kendrick, but only for the right price.  

Tell me if I'm wrong, but these are the players that come to mind when I think of Trumbo and Bourjos:

Trumbo- Josh Willingham, Michael Cuddyer with more power

Bourjos- Cameron Maybin in 2011. Bourjos this year has a BABIP of around an unsustainable .400, I think he is mor of a .270 / .260 hitter, which is still valuable considering his speed, surprising power, and of course defense.

Trumbo might be the best value for any power hitting 1b in the MLB not named Goldschmidt. His arm and D are much better than average. His flexibility to play CO makes him even more valuable especially in the NL. 

He would be a huge upgrade for the Rockies over Helton.

Wow, Trumbo hitting at Coors, we would never hear the end of it if we traded him there. Do the Rockies even have prospects though?